BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

04-18-2015, 07:03 PM   #67
Petr0lhead
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F20 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000
Gesture control will not be available in Italy.
Nice one!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #68
kellyzerx
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fndrsn View Post
Exciting stuff! The volume up/down gesture looks pretty silly and useless but I guess they had to make it deliberate so the sound system doesn't go nuts all the time. Kind of a small detail but the new buttons around the iDrive controller look really nice!! That self parking feature also looks really cool, being able to line your car up with a narrow spot, get out, and let it do the rest is something a lot of drivers in places like NL could use haha, can't wait for the official reveal of this thing!
I really don't see how the self parking is a good thing unless everybody has it. Having your car self park in that tight spot might be good for you, but I'm sure the guy in the car beside you that doesn't have self parking won't appreciate it at all. I wouldn't expect that he's going to be very careful to avoid damaging your car while he tries to squeeze into his car, cursing you the whole time. Hopefully you didn't order your 7 series with one of the $10K individual paints.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 10:36 PM   #69
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

At first I thought this could never be better than the S Klass but the tech in this new 7er seems pretty legit so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 06:44 AM   #70
Faust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Calibra, M3 (E46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
And the q7 dropped 300kg!
The first generation Q7 was a real barge. A lot bigger than its X5 and ML-Class supposed competitors. In my view it was a GL-Class competitor instead. A very heavy and large SUV. Shouldn't have been too hard to save all this weight with the new model since it was shrunk in principle. Like going from A6 to A4 size. I understand there might be a Q8 or Q9 to take its place in the upper premium SUV segment against the new X7 and GL-Class but the new Q7 is significantly smaller - thus lighter - than its predecessor.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 07:18 AM   #71
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

The new 7. Shown by headless men.
      04-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #72
Frejord
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 730d e65

Can't wait to see this car.
Awesome!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #73
Theride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006

I wonder if this new car is so ugly that bmw is selling the technology first.

...on the road at a stop light and someone shouts....hey, thats one ugly BMW.

Me: well atleast it can back out of the garage with a remote.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #74
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtomdrive View Post
The videos for the new 7 series are out on YouTube. You'll see the look and design there.

Here is the link

Enjoy
Are you smoking something?
I was like, damn! they didn't change much! lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 01:24 PM   #75
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko
i dont want to even know the cost to repair after an accident!
All of this talk of CF is meant to sound like it directly benefits the customer.

The reality is the BMW is using these materials to reduce production costs.

What's going to happen when these cars are in a bad accident 12 years from now when the CF is dry rot and over stressed from traveling 150,000 miles in the California desert.

The other problem of course is not the CF and not the aluminum/steel alloys. The problem areas are going to be the places where the CF is merged with the metal structure. Mark my words, over time the CF to metal joints are going to fail. Especially during a previous accident. If the car was 100% CF or 100% metal that's one thing. But, the advertisements clearly show the CF being places intermittently. This will be the bane of the 1st gen CF cars.

Ever [hear] of the Comet? (Not the car, but the plane). The pressurization tech was new and misunderstood.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 01:50 PM   #76
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AstonMartin Virage, M6 GC

Cabin Perfume

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
All of this talk of CF is meant to sound like it directly benefits the customer.

The reality is the BMW is using these materials to reduce production costs.

What's going to happen when these cars are in a bad accident 12 years from now when the CF is dry rot and over stressed from traveling 150,000 miles in the California desert.

The other problem of course is not the CF and not the aluminum/steel alloys. The problem areas are going to be the places where the CF is merged with the metal structure. Mark my words, over time the CF to metal joints are going to fail. Especially during a previous accident. If the car was 100% CF or 100% metal that's one thing. But, the advertisements clearly show the CF being places intermittently. This will be the bane of the 1st gen CF cars.

Ever here of the Comet? (Not the car, but the plane). The pressurization tech was new and misunderstood.
Oh the Comet, those early riveting techniques lack of understanding on cabin pressurization lead to early frame implosions

Did anyone notice the cabin perfume system, it is in one of the images. It is the center button of the A/C touch system.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 05:38 PM   #77
tven99
GOVNER
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' M5, 05 P71, 15 SP CHLGR

I really hope they do something to make it better than the new S class, I remember when the 04 7 series being a lot better in my opinion than the s class.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 03:42 AM   #78
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Hmmm. A bit disappointed here.

I love the new iDrive.

However:

- Drivers assistance seems weak compared with the Mercedes system which can actually steer the car. The BMW system is more lane departure prevention which is not new and unfortunately let's the car drift very close to the line rather than actively steering it in the center of the lane.

- Weight savings are also small. @scott26 said 200kilos. This article is saying 136 kilos. I think Scott has been bullshitting us for a while with hype. 136 kilo weight reduction seems incremental. I was expecting CFRP to change the game.

Will stay tuned though. Not ruling out buying one but at this point I can't say I won't get a Benz instead.
Since the economic down turn in 2008 there are very few lines left on the road. A better system would read pot holes
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #79
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
Since the economic down turn in 2008 there are very few lines left on the road. A better system would read pot holes
Hah! That's a great idea! I've replaced several sets of low-profile tires due to hitting potholes.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #80
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Did anyone else notice this (red circled area) in the new dash? It's covered up in some of the photos, but revealed in a single shot. Is the new 7er going to have a touch-sensitive temperature adjustment area, where today there's a knurled wheel? This looks like a small LCD panel to me -- there's one for the driver and one for the passenger. Instead of using a wheel to fine-tune the temp, It looks like you can use a finger now to swipe across the glass. What do you think?
Attached Images

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #81
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
Did anyone else notice this (red circled area) in the new dash? It's covered up in some of the photos, but revealed in a single shot. Is the new 7er going to have a touch-sensitive temperature adjustment area, where today there's a knurled wheel? This looks like a small LCD panel to me -- there's one for the driver and one for the passenger. Instead of using a wheel to fine-tune the temp, It looks like you can use a finger now to swipe across the glass. What do you think?
Well spotted that looks like what you describe.

04-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #82
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Still very giddy. Need to see it now!
      04-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #83
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
      04-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #84
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Serious question... Are we buying cars more for gimmicks err I mean tech or for how it actually looks and performs?
Because I don't care if it can change it's on oil and rotate it's on tires... It needs to "visually stir the senses" and stand out from a crowd for me! And then drive great and then feel luxurious and then tech/gimmicks. In that order.
      04-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #85
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Hmmm. A bit disappointed here.

I love the new iDrive.

However:

- Drivers assistance seems weak compared with the Mercedes system which can actually steer the car. The BMW system is more lane departure prevention which is not new and unfortunately let's the car drift very close to the line rather than actively steering it in the center of the lane.

- Weight savings are also small. @scott26 said 200kilos. This article is saying 136 kilos. I think Scott has been bullshitting us for a while with hype. 136 kilo weight reduction seems incremental. I was expecting CFRP to change the game.

Will stay tuned though. Not ruling out buying one but at this point I can't say I won't get a Benz instead.
Driver Assistance is more advanced than the SClass has in production form. Yes the S can and will follow suit and possibly jump ahead for a brief period of time. Short of complete long distance autonomy, which both are capable of, there won't really be more than slight differences in their respective response characteristics.

*Edit to directly respond about the 7 drifting close to the line vs staying within its lane*. That video is demonstrating how at speed the 7's Lane Departure Assistant (not to be confused with the Lane Keeping Assistant) reacts. Two weeks ago I had an S65 to drive for a few days and my normal route home includes a single lane exit from the interstate that begins with a short double s curve entrance leading to a 1/4 straight away. It's more comfortable to cut the left and right shoulders if no obstacles are present but in the Mercedes, a second or two after cutting the left shoulder, the car snapped to the right on its own, crossed the right shoulder line immediately after that. This then was met with a snap back to the left and approx 1/8 mile later I was now in the middle of the lane. The 7, with the system on, would simply have anticipated crossing the lane marking and gently followed the line without allowing the car to cross it. If I had made a corrective steering input prior to arriving at the marking, the car would change momentarily to prevent excessive driver input and a snap oversteer situation. At lower speeds the Lane keeping assistant will follow the left and right markings to keep the car tracking it's lane without input from the driver.

For all of those complaining about the "disappointing" reduction in weight, I can only suggest this as one of my professional involvements is weight saving componentry. Numbers are numbers and will vary for many different reasons. I wouldn't focus on the number itself, but where this weight savings is focused. 200kg from the center point of weight distribution on the axis would do far less than critical small reductions in the most effective locations. This is why the F01/2/3/4/7 are actually not bad in respect to the competition. The F06/10/11/12/13 etc are the piggies since they share all of the largest and heaviest structures with the current 7 and where they differ does not create any significant weight reduction effect.

Last edited by lemetier; 04-20-2015 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #86
M3Fire
Rep
Drives: 06 325i 09 C300

Sick!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #87
bmwfanatic87
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
My opinion is that it is the center vent manual temperature adjuster.

If you look in your pictures. You can see knobs with "Auto" on them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #88
boramkiv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

I knew I wasn't crazy, that remote parking has been in the works for a while.
Probably some liability issues to work out, but I knew I saw a video of it a very long time ago:

Appreciate 0