BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

09-14-2016, 04:35 PM   #1
tidal k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f01 750i

F01 holds it down @ the Track ;-)

took the f01 out on Labor Day.
[M-suspension; H&R super sport; air filters; true dual catback exhaust]
I'm surprised that the land-yacht held it down with literally no bodyroll at all. I was always curious how it would do on the track, ever since my spring install, I noticed how stiff our chassis is (jack up the rear... the front raises as well). Its pretty apparent on the track/street as well, I'm pretty excited to see what would happen with race pads and race tires. The tires I had on were at the limit of 2/32 and were crappy pilot sport as3....

(was my 3rd run of the day, temps were high 90s; pulled off early due to brake fade and tires giving out)-- next time I go... definitely slapping on some race pads and tires.

All in all, I was on the verge of selling the 7, but I think I might keep it a bit, and beat it to death first ;-)
Attached Images

Last edited by tidal k; 09-14-2016 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: not enough info; typo
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 11:43 PM   #2
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

She looks real good on the track! Honestly, I must say these big-body BMWs are deceptive surprising on the track with the right modifications.

The GT shares the same wheelbase platform as the F01 infact, and I had H&R's on my last car too. I tracked the car at MPact two years ago. Although it was mainly roll-on racing, there was a little section near the end of the track where we could some nice sharp bends, and it allowed me to really push the GT hard in the corners. I was amazed by the level of control the car had, even when the tail kicked out (DTC was off) around a few curves. Everyone who rode shotgun said the car felt so much smaller than it was.

Now with my new GT, i have coilovers thanks to CKS Suspension. I thought the H&R's were good, but the coilovers are just a whole other level. My friend lent me his new C63-S Edition 1 for a couple days, loved the car. Amazingly though, after I had the coils done, the GT felt nearly as small as the C63 in the bends, I felt way more confident taking corners harder. On an even better note, the ride quality is much improved over the H&R's too, as it's less bouncy.

I can't wait to take my new GT to the track when it's done. Sure, it's not M4 GTS, but at the end of the day for its sheer size it handles quite well, and it's a hoot to drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 02:10 AM   #3
AntDX316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 750xi ///M Performance

Wow

Leader!!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
tidal k
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yea a lot of people were surprised.. "What the hell is this big boat doing here?" haha. I had it Sports +, not disabling traction all the way and it responded pretty well. When the tail would kick a bit... it didn't bog the car too much as it would under comfort/normal.

Post up some stuff if you go to the track!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackGT View Post
She looks real good on the track! Honestly, I must say these big-body BMWs are deceptive surprising on the track with the right modifications.

The GT shares the same wheelbase platform as the F01 infact, and I had H&R's on my last car too. I tracked the car at MPact two years ago. Although it was mainly roll-on racing, there was a little section near the end of the track where we could some nice sharp bends, and it allowed me to really push the GT hard in the corners. I was amazed by the level of control the car had, even when the tail kicked out (DTC was off) around a few curves. Everyone who rode shotgun said the car felt so much smaller than it was.

Now with my new GT, i have coilovers thanks to CKS Suspension. I thought the H&R's were good, but the coilovers are just a whole other level. My friend lent me his new C63-S Edition 1 for a couple days, loved the car. Amazingly though, after I had the coils done, the GT felt nearly as small as the C63 in the bends, I felt way more confident taking corners harder. On an even better note, the ride quality is much improved over the H&R's too, as it's less bouncy.

I can't wait to take my new GT to the track when it's done. Sure, it's not M4 GTS, but at the end of the day for its sheer size it handles quite well, and it's a hoot to drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #5
tidal k
Enlisted Member
Rep

Haha Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
Wow

Leader!!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #6
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidal k
Yea a lot of people were surprised.. "What the hell is this big boat doing here?" haha. I had it Sports +, not disabling traction all the way and it responded pretty well. When the tail would kick a bit... it didn't bog the car too much as it would under comfort/normal.

Post up some stuff if you go to the track!!

Quote:

definitely man! these are big boats, but more so racing yachts hahaha

I hope you blocked that GT3 from passing you
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 11:33 AM   #7
tidal k
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
definitely man! these are big boats, but more so racing yachts hahaha

I hope you blocked that GT3 from passing you
HAHA.. luckily that driver just got the car, so wasn't pushing it at all.
But some other GT3-RS's at the track were rippin.. HARD. Those bad boys were built specifically for the track.. I inquired... 180K.

Guess I wont be getting that until I can wipe with 20 dollar bills instead of toilet paper. lol
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 04:05 PM   #8
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

You are only 1 of 2 guys I know that have actually tracked a F0!

Congrats to you sir. Well done. YES... This car is deceptively agile for it's size.

Speaking of... A neat bit of technology that few have ever tried or even know about:

This car will drive in reverse very fast while keeping it's composure. Meaning it will stay very straight with little steering effort! I forgot what contributes to this but my mechanic told me about this years ago when I first got her. I have tried it several times when I had to reverse. And it is pretty amazing.
      09-15-2016, 05:34 PM   #9
tidal k
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks man!

Yea, I do notice that our steering is stiffer than most cars. I cant wait to rip on the tires once I get a chance.. I think I'm at 2/32... so might be time for burnouts and powerslides ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
You are only 1 of 2 guys I know that have actually tracked a F0!

Congrats to you sir. Well done. YES... This car is deceptively agile for it's size.

Speaking of... A neat bit of technology that few have ever tried or even know about:

This car will drive in reverse very fast while keeping it's composure. Meaning it will stay very straight with little steering effort! I forgot what contributes to this but my mechanic told me about this years ago when I first got her. I have tried it several times when I had to reverse. And it is pretty amazing.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13653.00
      09-20-2016, 02:23 AM   #10
AntDX316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 750xi ///M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidal k View Post
Haha Thanks man!
Don't even need a thanks, it really was great.

I suggest you keep the car, do a full retrofit for adaptive LED lights, get a tune, change front grill to 9 slat, but yet again if it's not 2013+ then the engine could fail at anytime. I'd get rid of it asap. If you aren't then I would get 15mm and 20mm spacers at rear with 14x1.25 40mm and 50mm for a wider track width.
Appreciate 0