BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #23
2blu
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive ///M Sport

I quit cold turkey 3.5 years ago after being a 1-1.5 pack a day smoker.

To me it was all about mind control, just kept telling myself that I couldn't let myself fail. No one could physically take a cigarette and put it in my mouth and light it. As long as I didn't allow myself to do that, I'd be ok.

It worked. Hang in there it's not easy.
      08-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #24
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY10 View Post
Thanks for all the advice.

I am 100% mentally ready.

I am smoking pack and half a day now and I find myself chain smoking (2-4) cigs after a long commute ( wont smoke in my car, although in lots of traffic I have).

While I am at work and busy I can gon5-6 hours with none but then I have about 3 back to back.

Smoke right when I wake up and right before bed, wake up in the middle night.

It has begun to take over my life and the amount of money I spend a week is just insane on something that will end up killing me young.

I started at 14 (not really just the high school thing to do) stopped started again at 22 and it's been about 8 years now solid.

I know I have to, I want to some just have to do it.
Great decision. I am one of the biggest anti-smokers. So senseless to kill yourself slowly. But, I get the addiction. Just some information for you. My sister-in-law is having surgery today to remove a huge cancerous mass in her colon. She just turned 50. She's a recovering alcoholic and and addict. She smokes over 2 packs a day (Marlboro reds no less) and drinks a 12 pack of Coke. Even if they catch her cancer early which they said they did, she probably will never quit and be dead in 5 years because colon cancer also runs in her family.

I truly wish you luck and hope you quit. Another life may not be lost to cancer that is totally preventable.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #25
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

I tried Champix and had crazy vivid dreams, some good some bad. Got a bit depressed, agitated, offensive and aggressive enough for my wife to take it away and actually preferred that I smoke than be on that shit.

It works great if you can get past the side effects. It's different for different folks. I might jump back on that just to get those vivid dreams again.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 02:29 PM   #26
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Care to address for the OP Chantix's shitty recidivism rate or are you just a mouthpiece-ing for your former employer?
Sigh.
See what the recidivism rate is for all smoking cessation drugs then try posting in an intelligent manner. Cheers-mk
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #27
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Sigh.
See what the recidivism rate is for all smoking cessation drugs then try posting in an intelligent manner. Cheers-mk
Try not pushing drugs that tout being able to "cure" you of an addiction and instead drive you to kill yourself...no, wait that actually makes sense. If you're dead, you won't smoke anymore. Touche, sir!
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2016, 02:42 PM   #28
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Quote:
Try not pushing drugs that tout being able to "cure" you of an addiction and instead drive you to kill yourself...no, wait that actually makes sense. If you're dead, you won't smoke anymore. Touche, sir!
I take it you're the type to try and cure cancer with coffee enemas?
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      08-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #29
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb View Post
I take it you're the type to try and cure cancer with coffee enemas?
Nope, just not a fan of Chantix, it's utter bullshit marketing, and false claims. I loved his B.S. response, too. Last I checked Nicotine gum and patches haven't driven anyone insane and don't cause psychological side effects. So if you were going to try something to quit and both have high redivism rates, which would be a better choice. Dug himself RIGHT into that hole. But, then again, I've never met a pharma rep. that had anything more than rocks between their ears (yeah, I worked in the pharma industry, too).
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #30
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Nope, just not a fan of Chantix, it's utter bullshit marketing, and false claims. I loved his B.S. response, too. Last I checked Nicotine gum and patches haven't driven anyone insane and don't cause psychological side effects. So if you were going to try something to quit and both have high redivism rates, which would be a better choice. Dug himself RIGHT into that hole. But, then again, I've never met a pharma rep. that had anything more than rocks between their ears (yeah, I worked in the pharma industry, too).
Lol. There are reps and there are REPS. I can see what type you are, oops, were. I probably fired someone JUST like you in the past.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 03:13 PM   #31
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

While I never have used Chantix one of my good friends did and it fucked him up. Of course he quit smoking but he became super paranoid and OCD on everything while on it. At one point about 2 weeks after taking it he stopped eating and drinking. His GF/now wife flushed all the pills and had to take his ass to the ER to get re-nourished.

We all kind of joke about it now with him but a lot of us believe it permanently changed the chemical make up of his brain. He was never OCD about anything and was frankly a complete slob. But now his house is spotless and bathrooms always smell of Clorox. I've also never seen him eat anything out of norm when we go out to various restaurants. He always orders chicken tenders w/ thousand island and drinks bud light. I just thought he had shitty taste in food and beer but once when his order came out with ranch instead of thousand island, he lost his shit and made a scene and we all had to leave to calm him down.

He had never taken anything other than advil / tylenol / anti-biotics and this was his first Rx drug to treat something 'serious'.

I dont know anyone else that's taken it but after reading some of the previous posts it seem like this kind of instability may be common. Maybe not to the extreme as my buddy had it but it doesnt seem like a good drug.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      08-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #32
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
While I never have used Chantix one of my good friends did and it fucked him up. Of course he quit smoking but he became super paranoid and OCD on everything while on it. At one point about 2 weeks after taking it he stopped eating and drinking. His GF/now wife flushed all the pills and had to take his ass to the ER to get re-nourished.

We all kind of joke about it now with him but a lot of us believe it permanently changed the chemical make up of his brain. He was never OCD about anything and was frankly a complete slob. But now his house is spotless and bathrooms always smell of Clorox. I've also never seen him eat anything out of norm when we go out to various restaurants. He always orders chicken tenders w/ thousand island and drinks bud light. I just thought he had shitty taste in food and beer but once when his order came out with ranch instead of thousand island, he lost his shit and made a scene and we all had to leave to calm him down.

He had never taken anything other than advil / tylenol / anti-biotics and this was his first Rx drug to treat something 'serious'.

I dont know anyone else that's taken it but after reading some of the previous posts it seem like this kind of instability may be common. Maybe not to the extreme as my buddy had it but it doesnt seem like a good drug.
This is sad to hear.

All drugs have adverse events. All. They affect everyone differently. I'm really sorry about your friend and glad it worked out. I can't take ANY antihistamine. They zonk me out completely. I may as well be hit in the head with a hammer. I stay away from them. It doesn't make them bad drugs, it makes them bad drugs for my particular physiology.

As we move into an era of more bespoke medications, we will see smaller batches of drugs focused on particular genomes for treatment. It is believed that this will make drugs more effective while limiting the range and severity of adverse events. My company is working on a product in the oncology space that reduces collateral cell damage by over 90% while maintaining expected levels of efficacy. My mom is a cancer survivor and THIS is an example of the innovation that excites me every day.

As an executive in the pharma/biotech space, I can assure you that I don't wake up in the morning hoping to hurt people and I don't gin up data to get my evil drugs to the market so that I can line my pockets at the expense of others.

@davis449 has problems and should probably head back under his bridge where it is safe and the intellectual requirements are less strenuous for his type.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 3
      08-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #33
SDH
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Haven't bothered to read all the responses (I'm lazy) but from my experience all I can say is it is very hard to quit but...

When I gave up up I just told myself that

Ive made the decision myself, for myself, by myself, just remember it's only my brain playing tricks and anyway who controls my brain? I do, not f-ing nicotine

I can do it, just take one hour at a time

If I've been without one for 3, 4, 5 hours what's another hour? F you nicotine

Now it's been a whole day, just try one more day without it

Now it's two days, the nicotine is out of my system

Now three days, I can smell again, I can taste again! Go find a smoker to remind myself of what I used to smell like. Yuk I used to smell like a dirty ashtray tramp

Come back to this thread for encouragement, let us know how many hours/days it's been, have a rant if you need to, stay strong, you can do it.

You will feel so much better about yourself.

Good choice good luck.

Finally, don't beat yourself up if you crack. Just promise yourself you'll try again very soon. It took three attempts for me to finally quit
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #34
mikex25
Major
Rep
Drives: Grey thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY10 View Post
Thanks for all the advice.

I am 100% mentally ready.

I am smoking pack and half a day now and I find myself chain smoking (2-4) cigs after a long commute ( wont smoke in my car, although in lots of traffic I have).

While I am at work and busy I can gon5-6 hours with none but then I have about 3 back to back.

Smoke right when I wake up and right before bed, wake up in the middle night.

It has begun to take over my life and the amount of money I spend a week is just insane on something that will end up killing me young.

I started at 14 (not really just the high school thing to do) stopped started again at 22 and it's been about 8 years now solid.

I know I have to, I want to some just have to do it.
I get where your coming from, smoking becomes a routine after a while. Wake up smoke, after each meal, once you in get in a car. It got so bad to the point where every time I hop in my car I have to have a cigarette.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #35
RoundelObsession
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: S65M3

Quote:
Lol. There are reps and there are REPS. I can see what type you are, oops, were. I probably fired someone JUST like you in the past.
I guess we are supposed to be impressed that you kissed so much ass that you were in a position to fire people? I despise big pharma. You and all people like you can shove those drugs right up your ass.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #36
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundelObsession View Post
I guess we are supposed to be impressed that you kissed so much as that you were in a position to fire people? I despise big pharma. You and all people like you can shove those drugs right up your ass.
No.
Earned.
I bring it. Period. End of story.
I don't kiss ass, I kick it. My foot has probably been up yours at some point in time, as well.

Number one in almost every category that I sold in, no matter the industry.

And base on the fact that your response was about kissing ass, I know what kind of person you are.

Have a great day.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 03:53 PM   #37
RoundelObsession
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No.
Earned.
I don't kiss ass, I kick it. My foot has probably been up yours at some point in time, as well.

And base on the fact that your response was about kissing ass, I know what kind of person you are.

Have a great day.
So you were the best bullshitter of the bunch?

I would make you eat your own fucking foot.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 03:54 PM   #38
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
NY10 , good luck with whatever you decide. You have taken the first step to managing this problem.

I apologize about responding to davis449 and RoundelObsession but I cannot abide this type of idiocy. I am stepping out of the thread but if I can help in any way, please PM me. I mean this.

Cheers-mk
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 03:55 PM   #39
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
No.
Earned.

Have a great day.
He's the kind of person who thinks the world is flat...or at least likes to annoy people and engage in debates that the world is flat.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      08-16-2016, 04:03 PM   #40
RoundelObsession
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
He's the kind of person who thinks the world is flat...or at least likes to annoy people and engage in debates that the world is flat.
Oh fecal matter, Keep burning up tax dollars on mindless statements.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 04:04 PM   #41
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quit cold turkey about 20 years ago after smoking about a pack a day for only 5 years. Cold turkey. The key (in my opinion) is to have someone quit with you or someone to whom you are accountable to and can ask for help. It's like working out. Your less likely to skip a workout (or go back to smoking) if someone else is there to rip you a new one if you do. Heh. Don't remember how long till the cravings stop - ultimately, it is an act of will. If something like Chantix or anything else helps, then great - but ultimately you decide. You're either done or you're not. Replacement behavior (exercise, gum, anything really) and a partner. You can make it happen.
      08-16-2016, 04:05 PM   #42
RoundelObsession
Banned
United_States
Rep

NY10, Stay away from the drug pushing demons.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #43
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
He thinks I was a rep. in pharma! LMFAO!

Quote:
@davis449 has problems and should probably head back under his bridge where it is safe and the intellectual requirements are less strenuous for his type.
MKSixer, I'm in IT (tier 3 and 4, not the help desk guy). I'm the guy you reps. call when you're too lazy to do your own spreadsheets or just flat don't know how to work Excel (which you claimed you were a whiz at on your resume) and try to get me to do your job for you. Not only are you reps. lazy, but you also know that pretty much anyone can do your job. Pharma rep. is what you do with your Art History degree when you graduate, find out you can't really get a job with it, you're halfway attractive, can memorize a brochure, and can talk utter nonsense for hours.

I've worked upper level IT in networking, server admin, and Tier 3 and 4 support over my 17 year career in Oil & Gas, Education, Finance, Pharmaceutical Manufacturing, and Healthcare. I bet I'm 10 years younger than you will all of that under my belt, too. How far outside of schilling for Pfizer have you gone? I could hire Harambe to supervise a staff of sales people. The insane amount of money companies pay you people is just shameful.

Last edited by davis449; 08-16-2016 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 04:38 PM   #44
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
He thinks I was a rep. in pharma! LMFAO!

Roundel, I'm in IT (tier 3 and 4, not the help desk guy), I'm the guy you reps. call when you're too lazy to do your own spreadsheets or just flat don't know how to work Excel (which you claimed you were a whiz at on your resume) and try to get me to do your job for you. Not only are you reps. lazy, but you also know that pretty much anyone can do your job. Pharma rep. is what you do with your Art History degree when you graduate, find out you can't really get a job with it, you're halfway attractive, can memorize a brochure, and can talk utter nonsense for hours.

I've worked upper level IT in networking, server admin, and Tier 3 and 4 support over my 17 year career in Oil & Gas, Education, Finance, Pharmaceutical Manufacturing, and Healthcare. How far outside of schilling for Pfizer have you gone? I could hire Hurambe to supervise a staff of sales people.
COO before I was 30 managing 1300+ people. Currently CEO. I have socks older and more experienced than you. You seem to be typical IT. I've dragged people of your ilk into the field for a week and they typically call No Mas after 36-48 hours.

Wanna trade tax returns next?
Go back to your cube.

Apologies to @NY10
Appreciate 1