BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

04-02-2018, 06:24 AM   #353
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Thanks to whoever drove into me and didn’t leave a note 😡

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 07:32 AM   #354
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post

It's so disappointing how dishonest so many people have become these days. That really sucks on your brand new car
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #355
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
oh no! Really sorry to hear that 325_bucks, terrible news.

Agree that today's society is taught to leave and try to get away with it instead of being honest and leaving a note, you must be very frustrated.

Two things:

1) did this happen somewhere pubic and can you ask if the owners have cctv to try and see if that caught it? I had a colleague at work do this when hit at a garden centre and they managed to find the delivery lorry that did it and then go after the company...still in progress but maybe an option? (assume you'll have looked at this already but just in case)

2) it doesn't look like it has chipped the paint? Is it possible to get it 'popped' back out maybe?

So sorry to hear this, hope you get some resolution and can get it sorted without too much hassle...

Meant to ask how you were getting on with the car and motorway cruising? (don't mean to detract from this thread if you want to keep it to this topic though)...

Safe travels, another reason to consider dash cams that trigger when hit (althogh this was from the side so not sure it would have caught anything...)
      04-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #356
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
oh no! Really sorry to hear that 325_bucks, terrible news.

Agree that today's society is taught to leave and try to get away with it instead of being honest and leaving a note, you must be very frustrated.

Two things:

1) did this happen somewhere pubic and can you ask if the owners have cctv to try and see if that caught it? I had a colleague at work do this when hit at a garden centre and they managed to find the delivery lorry that did it and then go after the company...still in progress but maybe an option? (assume you'll have looked at this already but just in case)

2) it doesn't look like it has chipped the paint? Is it possible to get it 'popped' back out maybe?

So sorry to hear this, hope you get some resolution and can get it sorted without too much hassle...

Meant to ask how you were getting on with the car and motorway cruising? (don't mean to detract from this thread if you want to keep it to this topic though)...

Safe travels, another reason to consider dash cams that trigger when hit (althogh this was from the side so not sure it would have caught anything...)
unfortunately im not 100% sure where it happened. It was either in Tesco carpark, where I had parked miles away from anything, and no CCTV covers the area, or at another shop we went to that doesn't have CCTV in that area either, we asked.

I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of pointless dent removal places. My detailer has recommended the guy he uses and looking at his work, it's possible to get things like this back to being new again. The majority of the dent is a soft bend inward but the bottom of the dent crosses a crease line where the panel meets the bumper. Although the paint is not broken, it's in that crease where I can feel the paint a little rough but it's hard to tell. I hope it will be able to be sorted, just upsetting, that its on such a new car
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #357
tyzer
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 730d M-Sport Carbon Black

Quote:

ah shit man, this sucks. very sorry to see this, wish you all the best on a prompt, clean and cheap as possible repair.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 01:39 AM   #358
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Sorry to see it but I think a reputable shop with some skill should have no problem of making it look like new .
May be whoever done this might have been in fear assuming the owner could give one a hard lesson but that's a poor behavior and not acceptable by any means

I wish you no more nasty things
      04-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #359
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
Sorry to see it but I think a reputable shop with some skill should have no problem of making it look like new .
May be whoever done this might have been in fear assuming the owner could give one a hard lesson but that's a poor behavior and not acceptable by any means

I wish you no more nasty things
I'd like to think almost no one is going to be too angry if someone is honest, apologises for the mistake and hangs around to sort details out. Shit happens, you'd prefer it doesn't but you cannot fault someone that does the right thing to resolve it.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 02:52 PM   #360
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

so an update.

Car has been to a PDR place yesterday, supposedly one of the best around here. Unfortunately they couldn't get to the back of the dent, they took the light out, a lot of the boot lining, but the main path was blocked by the fuse board in the boot. They suggested drilling a hole in a hidden place which is a common way they get their rods into the correct place but they, and I, didn't want to do that on a car like this. So their suggestion is to book it into the BMW dealer that they work with, pay BMW to strip the boot down fully, then they can get to the back and fix it. They did however put they glue puller on it and it reduced the overall size of it down to a slightly better level, but it's still not great.

I'm considering using a body shop to actually fix it and spray it as I'm not convinced the paint hasn't been damaged where the crease is the worst. I think the repair will look better if it's sprayed. It's not great either way, but once it's fixed I will forget about it. These things happen and it's only metal but a car like this shouldn't be driven around too long with a dent!

The bumper is in from BMW and i'm waiting for a slot to get that fitted so at least the bumper will be flawless again.

It feels like this car has been bad luck so far but maybe it's best to get these things out the way now so I don't have to baby it as much!

On a more positive note, I'm really enjoying the car, it's so amazing in every way really, the safety features are great, the ACC is great, traffic jams are (almost) pleasant, and it's just such a nice place to be. We received our new car seats and it fits fine in the back. Wife's seat has to be maybe 2-3cm further forward than she would otherwise have it but that's a small "inconvenience" and it's really not an issue.

Driving at night is lovely, the ambient lighting is something I really love, and in the recent cold weather it's been so cosy with the heated armrests and steering wheel. I carried 3 passengers the other day and they loved the rear seat heating and they loved playing with the adjustable rear seats.

I haven't tried out ambient air yet, as I want to enjoy the new car smell as long as I can before it wears out.

Massage seats are great but i'm almost so used them now it feels like something that's always been there, yes I wish they were a bit more powerful like the MB ones but I wouldn't want to not have them now, first world problems indeed!

I don't know about you guys though but the salt from the roads has made keeping the car clean almost impossible, in fact it looks so bad right now, but the dirt is hiding the dent a little at least!

Oh and finally got the things coded that I want to, thanks to Almaretto in the coding thread. I've got it starting in Comfort Plus, disabled ASS by default and also coded something else that I can't remember right now.

All in all, extremely happy with the car, the new bumper will help me enjoy it again and hopefully the dent will either be fixed or I will accept it and move on.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #361
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
so an update.

Car has been to a PDR place yesterday, supposedly one of the best around here. Unfortunately they couldn't get to the back of the dent, they took the light out, a lot of the boot lining, but the main path was blocked by the fuse board in the boot. They suggested drilling a hole in a hidden place which is a common way they get their rods into the correct place but they, and I, didn't want to do that on a car like this. So their suggestion is to book it into the BMW dealer that they work with, pay BMW to strip the boot down fully, then they can get to the back and fix it. They did however put they glue puller on it and it reduced the overall size of it down to a slightly better level, but it's still not great.

I'm considering using a body shop to actually fix it and spray it as I'm not convinced the paint hasn't been damaged where the crease is the worst. I think the repair will look better if it's sprayed. It's not great either way, but once it's fixed I will forget about it. These things happen and it's only metal but a car like this shouldn't be driven around too long with a dent!

The bumper is in from BMW and i'm waiting for a slot to get that fitted so at least the bumper will be flawless again.

It feels like this car has been bad luck so far but maybe it's best to get these things out the way now so I don't have to baby it as much!

On a more positive note, I'm really enjoying the car, it's so amazing in every way really, the safety features are great, the ACC is great, traffic jams are (almost) pleasant, and it's just such a nice place to be. We received our new car seats and it fits fine in the back. Wife's seat has to be maybe 2-3cm further forward than she would otherwise have it but that's a small "inconvenience" and it's really not an issue.

Driving at night is lovely, the ambient lighting is something I really love, and in the recent cold weather it's been so cosy with the heated armrests and steering wheel. I carried 3 passengers the other day and they loved the rear seat heating and they loved playing with the adjustable rear seats.

I haven't tried out ambient air yet, as I want to enjoy the new car smell as long as I can before it wears out.

Massage seats are great but i'm almost so used them now it feels like something that's always been there, yes I wish they were a bit more powerful like the MB ones but I wouldn't want to not have them now, first world problems indeed!

I don't know about you guys though but the salt from the roads has made keeping the car clean almost impossible, in fact it looks so bad right now, but the dirt is hiding the dent a little at least!

Oh and finally got the things coded that I want to, thanks to Almaretto in the coding thread. I've got it starting in Comfort Plus, disabled ASS by default and also coded something else that I can't remember right now.

All in all, extremely happy with the car, the new bumper will help me enjoy it again and hopefully the dent will either be fixed or I will accept it and move on.
Hey 325_bucks, really sorry to hear about the issues trying to get the dent sorted, can't really comment on either method, hope someone else will be able to help you in that way and you get the result you want (whichever method you do choose in the end)...it certainly has been testing your patience and love in the first month but as you say, maybe this will be the end of it and you'll have nothing but great memories from this point onwards.

Great to hear that you do enjoy the car in other aspects and have started to really warm to it, hope it does continue to capture your heart and mind and provide the perfect balance in a car for your future family needs. ^

Glad to hear the car seat fits, if requiring a small adjustment, you realise that both your wife and child will not want to go to anything less after they get used to this!

I'm jealous of the extended heating, will have to get that next time...I can definitely see how that would be a feature to have! I agree about the massage function, I've been using it more and more myself lately, tend to only have it on for 5 to 10 minutes when I start a journey but that does really help put the smile on my face in this great car...

The salt has been bad but hoping we'll see an end to that now for this year and you can enjoy the clean car more often now! Finally could wash mine this week...felt good.

Interesting that you also tend to use comfort plus as the standard mode...I've been trying adaptive but I do still tend to switch to comfort plus or sport...not much use for comfort or sport plus / eco modes personally...Maybe someone will convince me to give them a longer go...Good that you could code it to your preference, that is always nice.

I have to admit that I only recently noticed that to zoom in on the map one turns the idrive wheel anticlockwise instead of clockwise...that does seem counter intuitive to me now and so you have me wondering if that was different in my previous F01...sorry, as I had suggested that it was clockwise to zoom and anti to zoom out...seems I had that wrong but I would have sworn it was so!

Anyway, great to hear the positive as well as the real life issues, hope they get sorted soon and to your satisfaction, and that you can then just enjoy the car without further issue. If you are like me....you'll just continue to appreciate it more and more with time and find it hard to consider anything else!

On one hand, I am amazed that so few people realise how great these cars are and a part of me wants to shout and make them aware and join in...the selfish part of me however, just wants to smugly smile and enjoy it with a similar band of like minded enthusiasts and enjoy the rare sight when one does see a fellow G 7 on the road (or any 7 for that matter)...

Safe travels, thanks for continuing to share the experiences, warts and all, hoping you'll just have the good from now on!
      04-07-2018, 07:32 AM   #362
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
so an update.

I have to confess I'm probably go the body shop route as it would just bug me too much to not get it sorted properly. I'd be swearing at the cost of having to pay for something that isn't your fault but once all done and dusted I'd be happy about the car at the end.

Quote:
Great to know your enjoying the car so much, I just know I'll have a similar feeling about mine.

You know I even saw a long wheel base XJ L in an NCP carpark the other day. Obviously he was sticking out a good amount when parked despite pretty much touching the wall the other end but the fact the guy got it up the ramps... There's hope yet I'll be able to make it around a McDonald's DriveThru then. Lol

Quote:
Yet to fully experience the night driving but one of the things I'm looking forward to trying the most as it's all the things I've yet to experience. The laser lights, night vision, ambient lighting, sky lounge, etc. Probably above all else this is where I feel the 7 series is just going to be leaps and bounds above a 5 series overall.

Quote:
It's not all that strong when I tried it on a loaner, it might not be strong enough to over power the new car smell that well so indeed I'd probably just wait on that one a little.

Quote:
This one is the wife pleasing feature, one I needed to get executive sign off on my order. Lol

Quote:
Well you did get a black car, your it's bitch now

Quote:
Have you tried Adaptive much? Wonder what your opinion is on that?

Quote:
Interesting that you also tend to use comfort plus as the standard mode...I've been trying adaptive but I do still tend to switch to comfort plus or sport...not much use for comfort or sport plus / eco modes personally...Maybe someone will convince me to give them a longer go...Good that you could code it to your preference, that is always nice.
How are you getting on with Adaptive? Can you notice it doing it's thing at all?

Quote:
I have to admit that I only recently noticed that to zoom in on the map one turns the idrive wheel anticlockwise instead of clockwise...that does seem counter intuitive to me now and so you have me wondering if that was different in my previous F01...sorry, as I had suggested that it was clockwise to zoom and anti to zoom out...seems I had that wrong but I would have sworn it was so!
I liked that you could have auto zoom actually on the newer iDrive as you approach turns. A small change but one I thought was really good and much needed.

Quote:
On one hand, I am amazed that so few people realise how great these cars are and a part of me wants to shout and make them aware and join in...the selfish part of me however, just wants to smugly smile and enjoy it with a similar band of like minded enthusiasts and enjoy the rare sight when one does see a fellow G 7 on the road (or any 7 for that matter)...
I do almost never see a 7 series of any type to be be honest, older or new ones. As long as they sell enough to keep it as a model that's all that really matters, having something more rare I think is nice
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #363
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
How are you getting on with Adaptive? Can you notice it doing it's thing at all?
meh, it works okay for most driving but doesn't do it for me when I want to be sporty on A roads or do a quick change of style....then I just put it in sport. For most driving it is fine for me but that is motorway anyway so not finding it adapt as much as I would like...

Quote:
I liked that you could have auto zoom actually on the newer iDrive as you approach turns. A small change but one I thought was really good and much needed.
Yes, that is a very nice feature and i almost always leave it in auto mode...very good improvement IMO. ^

Quote:
I do almost never see a 7 series of any type to be be honest, older or new ones. As long as they sell enough to keep it as a model that's all that really matters, having something more rare I think is nice
Oh true enough, they are quite the rare beast...which is nice to be honest. (well outside of London and Manchester at least). Most days I don't see any others...but some days I've seen quite a few in the New Forest...4 I think was the high score one day! Was starting to worry! I do love that most people also think the car is just a 5 and likely a 520 so just don't bother or give it a second glance...

Hope 325_bucks gets his sorted to his satisfaction and continues to love it. You'll be in yours soon enough...I'm actually looking forward to an early morning blast in mine tomorrow in the dark to enjoy the internal and external lights for a run to Heathrow. Safe travels everyone.
      04-07-2018, 11:32 AM   #364
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
meh, it works okay for most driving but doesn't do it for me when I want to be sporty on A roads or do a quick change of style....then I just put it in sport. For most driving it is fine for me but that is motorway anyway so not finding it adapt as much as I would like...
I only used it very quickly for short periods and I couldn't tell the difference to be honest. Hence I feel like it's something I need to use for a period of time, try and do some slow driving then fine a B road and drive a little sporty to see how it handles it.

All the reviews seem to talk it up a huge amount and there's me not being able to tell the difference at least in my test drives...

Quote:
Oh true enough, they are quite the rare beast...which is nice to be honest. (well outside of London and Manchester at least). Most days I don't see any others...but some days I've seen quite a few in the New Forest...4 I think was the high score one day! Was starting to worry! I do love that most people also think the car is just a 5 and likely a 520 so just don't bother or give it a second glance...
I think from the rear at least they are pretty obvious (When you know your BMW's) but when you've got one following you, it's definitely not as easy to tell it's not a 5 series I think.

I know some people like something that shouts different but I like that it's not too different. Avoid the customers saying the "We must be paying too much for you" comments. All I suggest is that at least you can see where I spend my money, you've got to worry about the guy that turn up in a Fiesta as they probably have a drug and hooker habit they cannot control
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #365
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

I drove the car in comfort plus for most of the time since I got it, then I decided I better try out some of the other modes recently, and spent some time on adaptive. I’m not going to say that it’s not noticeable, it is, it’s actually great how it firms up round bends etc, however I still prefer the softness of comfort plus overall hence why I coded it that way. I prefer to choose Sport when I want spirited driving. I might give adaptive some more time but happy with comfort plus for the main right now
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #366
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I drove the car in comfort plus for most of the time since I got it, then I decided I better try out some of the other modes recently, and spent some time on adaptive. I’m not going to say that it’s not noticeable, it is, it’s actually great how it firms up round bends etc, however I still prefer the softness of comfort plus overall hence why I coded it that way. I prefer to choose Sport when I want spirited driving. I might give adaptive some more time but happy with comfort plus for the main right now
I'll give it a proper play over my 1,200 mile run in I guess. Workout which modes I like the most but probably staying out of Sport mostly so I don't get tempted to drive it too hard initially.

In the M760Li you want to pick Sport manually when you really want to go for it because it opens the flaps plus lowers the car 20mm. It sounds much more menacing in that mode. I don't believe Adaptive opens the flaps so that's maybe better for driving a bit sporty without getting the dagger eyes from the wife
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #367
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Cars gone into the body shop today for the next couple days and then on Monday it’s back to BMW for them to fit the new bumper so I hope that after that I can enjoy it fully and forget about it’s rocky start! I cleaned it at the weekend for the first time since the detail, using proper 2 bucket method etc. It really does look great when clean! After the bumper is changed it’s got to go back for the ceramic to be reapplied and then it should be nice and protected for the next year or so
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 05:09 PM   #368
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
That’s good news 325_bucks, glad to hear you’ve decided and are getting it sorted! ^

You’ll have the worst behind you now!

Happy with it otherwise now that you’ve had it for a while? Hope so after the trouble you’ve had!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:12 AM   #369
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

well I just picked the car up from the bodyshop. I have to say, I can't believe the job they've done. It not only looks like it came from the factory, it looks as good as it did after the paint was polished and coated! They really have done a great job in my opinion. Just got the bumper to be changed on Monday then all the unnecessary work will have been done!

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #370
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

That's awesome. Glad it's all getting sorted nicely
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 01:28 AM   #371
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Great , that was I would hope to see
      04-25-2018, 05:13 PM   #372
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Well just to bring this full circle, the car is back to it's full glory, new bumper, dent fixed as shown above and no hint that anything was ever wrong with it, I just need to get over it in my head now! Few more swirls than I would like after I forgot to tell BMW not to wash it when they did the bumper but they are minor and will disappear in my next detailing session next month, so finally happy with it again!

Tried out Ambient air finally too, it's actually really good, a really nice subtle scent. The only thing I wish is that it was on by default when starting the car. Also all the scents are very nice but it's almost too many to choose from!

FastLaneJB did you manage to sort out your cartridges?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #373
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well just to bring this full circle, the car is back to it's full glory, new bumper, dent fixed as shown above and no hint that anything was ever wrong with it, I just need to get over it in my head now! Few more swirls than I would like after I forgot to tell BMW not to wash it when they did the bumper but they are minor and will disappear in my next detailing session next month, so finally happy with it again!

Tried out Ambient air finally too, it's actually really good, a really nice subtle scent. The only thing I wish is that it was on by default when starting the car. Also all the scents are very nice but it's almost too many to choose from!

FastLaneJB did you manage to sort out your cartridges?
I've got 2 carts but not tested them yet, just spotted them into the car. In fairness my sense of smell has never been all that strong so I remember when testing them in a loaner to me they were pretty weak.

Dealer has agreed to get me a pack of 4 more, I called at the end of the day to chase as I still also need the remote for the rear entertainment. Hopefully get that all done soon and can just enjoy the car fully.

Glad you've got yours sorted, sucks to have to have gone through all that but it's what I would have done. I caught the wing mirrors on my old house on my 330d not long after I'd got it, was utterly gutted but got it resprayed and my happiness returned.

Can see how it's possible to catch something on a car this size. I've been often stopping when the parking display switches to the close up of the rear or front. It looks like your practically touching on the display but when I get out there's still quite a bit of room. However in a lot of spaces the car isn't sticking out too badly the other end that it feels like it's an issue either. Happy that the LWB isn't quite the issue I was worried about so far.

I even risked a KFC drive through the other day. It's one of the wider ones but I had the 360 display on and it wasn't a problem at all. In fact going slowly and watching it you could kind of see the rear not flowing as you'd normally expect in a car. As in it does more follow where the front wheels go than a car without it. Obviously it isn't fully but it does help you not have to swing out too wide to avoid curbing the rear. So the rear wheel steering does have some noticeable effect.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 07:02 AM   #374
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I've got 2 carts but not tested them yet, just spotted them into the car. In fairness my sense of smell has never been all that strong so I remember when testing them in a loaner to me they were pretty weak.

Dealer has agreed to get me a pack of 4 more, I called at the end of the day to chase as I still also need the remote for the rear entertainment. Hopefully get that all done soon and can just enjoy the car fully.

Glad you've got yours sorted, sucks to have to have gone through all that but it's what I would have done. I caught the wing mirrors on my old house on my 330d not long after I'd got it, was utterly gutted but got it resprayed and my happiness returned.

Can see how it's possible to catch something on a car this size. I've been often stopping when the parking display switches to the close up of the rear or front. It looks like your practically touching on the display but when I get out there's still quite a bit of room. However in a lot of spaces the car isn't sticking out too badly the other end that it feels like it's an issue either. Happy that the LWB isn't quite the issue I was worried about so far.

I even risked a KFC drive through the other day. It's one of the wider ones but I had the 360 display on and it wasn't a problem at all. In fact going slowly and watching it you could kind of see the rear not flowing as you'd normally expect in a car. As in it does more follow where the front wheels go than a car without it. Obviously it isn't fully but it does help you not have to swing out too wide to avoid curbing the rear. So the rear wheel steering does have some noticeable effect.
Hah, I do love a KFC but I'd be more worried about greasy chicken in my car on my nice leather than hitting the car! Glad you're finding parking ok, I agree that the sensors often give you more room than you think, but also sometimes they don't activate as quickly as I'd like and therefore you're closer than you should be quicker than you should be. I just need to remember to reverse more slowly!
Appreciate 0