BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

01-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #617
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by xquisit View Post
Pretty nifty thread,

I would like to dedicate one hour each day to working out, and have two to three rest days.

I am 5'10 and roughly 165lbs (I dont know my body fat).

I would like to have a strong core and visual upper body strength (big traps?).

I don't have a healthy diet and would like some help getting my body in a healthy cycle.

I don't cook, but I am willing to do so to change my life.

Where do I start?

Do I need a gym membership right off the bat?

Can anyone help me with a routine and diet to recommend?
You don't need a gym membership.
Healthy eating can be accomplished with minimal kitchen skills.
Buy different kind of fruits, learn to make salads. A fishmonger or butcher can tell you how to cook up the fish and meat you buy.

Start by walking or biking, push-ups, weightless squats, bicep-curls, jump-rope - you can get in amazing shape.
Then with help with a forum or youtube videos- crazy Lee Priest videos, up it to pull-ups then find exercises; weight-lifting or self-defense, yoga, boxing - whatever appeals to you and make a short term commitment to excel and see where that takes you.

Then after a year rethink your strategy.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #618
xquisit
«-·¨¯¯¨·-»
Rep
Drives: 328i / R32 / 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
You don't need a gym membership.
Healthy eating can be accomplished with minimal kitchen skills.
Buy different kind of fruits, learn to make salads. A fishmonger or butcher can tell you how to cook up the fish and meat you buy.

Start by walking or biking, push-ups, weightless squats, bicep-curls, jump-rope - you can get in amazing shape.
Then with help with a forum or youtube videos- crazy Lee Priest videos, up it to pull-ups then find exercises; weight-lifting or self-defense, yoga, boxing - whatever appeals to you and make a short term commitment to excel and see where that takes you.

Then after a year rethink your strategy.

I appreciate your quick and helpful response.

I will take it baby steps at a time as I do not want to get hurt at the gym.

I look forward to walking and running. Hopefully, I can report back with more but for now it is time to get active.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #619
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Did you injure yourself doing rear pull-downs?

No. I was doing them, but i started doing some research on certain exercises, and i couldn't find much info that gave a real positive to rear pull downs. I felt fine doing them, however. I read an interesting comment from someone, and he stated "would you do rear pull ups" the answer is no. The shoulder joint is not designed to be put into that motion. Which makes sense, even though your only going down to about mid-skull area.

I'm going to stick to benching, curls, dips, shoulder presses, lat pull downs, rows, & tricep presses. Thinking about incorporating T-bar rows. Currently looking up info on that. Also going to try and put on another 10 pounds before April, i definitely think it's doable.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #620
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Hit the chest NYE, then headed to the mountains. Hiking stairs, chopping wood, hiking up and down canyons to find snow to sled in.

Last night went back into gym and hit the back/bi HARD to take advantage of the bit of extra hemoglobin in the blood now that back to sea level. Woke up about 3 this morning face-down and couldn't roll over, arms/cobra no workee. had to do the old handcuffed knee roll.

I finished the latest diabetic drug trial yesterday, so get to start my cut (of sorts) now that I can return to my amylin injections before meals.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 09:03 AM   #621
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

It took a long time for this thread to get moved!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #622
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth
It took a long time for this thread to get moved!
I was just looking all over for it...I'm like wtf....

Been doing a ton of body weight exercises lately just to switch things up. I'm still hitting weights, but I've been starting off all body weight and then switching it up mid way through.

Also getting better on the food, had rice + chicken ~30 min before the gym, followed up by a monster(thanks to @squishy(that's what I call my girl btw)) and wow, tons of energy when I started out. Never did that before.

Can't wait to hit the nuke box in an hr to heat up my second dish of rice beans and chicken.

Tonight, it's ravioli and meatballs and some veg, haven't decided.

Anyone have a good way to measure body fat??
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #623
deeLow
DOPE
Rep

Pretty pissed I forgot my gear at home before I left for work this morning, I'm feeling super motivated. I plan on using this thread finally as my go to motivation to hit the gym multiple times per week and plan on updating every time I go.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #624
marrk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: pinto

Interesting thread. Made me think. Since I just ordered my car, I should at least get in shape to match the awesomeness of the m3. Time to get back to the gym.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #625
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeLow View Post
Pretty pissed I forgot my gear at home before I left for work this morning, I'm feeling super motivated. I plan on using this thread finally as my go to motivation to hit the gym multiple times per week and plan on updating every time I go.
i always leave a backup clothes in the trunk (shirt/short).
      01-08-2015, 07:29 AM   #626
deeLow
DOPE
Rep

Turkey and salami on wheat for bfast, green apple for snack, just finished up my ravioli and 1 meatball for my pre gym food, and currently drinking a no cal/sugar can of monster for the energy kick.

Get to work slackers I'll be pumping in a half hour!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 08:53 AM   #627
overcoil
Major General
Rep

O.K. deelow, have a workout for you.
45min to 1hr of just narrow grip pull-ups.
You can do 40 sets of 4 or 5 reps - doesn't matter the count just spend the time doing pull-ups.
Can rest for a few minutes or a few seconds between sets - mix it up.
Throw in some chin ups, wide grip, opposing grip, forward facing palms - whatever you like.

Just that I did this routine last Saturday and really liked it, imagined the workout was kind of simulated rock climbing - and rock climbers have powerful arms.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 10:36 AM   #628
deeLow
DOPE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger
O.K. deelow, have a workout for you.
45min to 1hr of just narrow grip pull-ups.
You can do 40 sets of 4 or 5 reps - doesn't matter the count just spend the time doing pull-ups.
Can rest for a few minutes or a few seconds between sets - mix it up.
Throw in some chin ups, wide grip, opposing grip, forward facing palms - whatever you like.

Just that I did this routine last Saturday and really liked it, imagined the workout was kind of simulated rock climbing - and rock climbers have powerful arms.
Nice! I'll give this a try tomorrow or Friday. Hopefully I make it tomorrow and blast through this. My next day is back anyway.

I've been starting my workouts pull-ups and chin ups and push-ups. It usually goes 10-15 chin ups with no rest right to about 25-30 push-ups, right into 10 or so pull-ups or failure, whatever comes first. That's 1 set and then I take a little rest, and get straight to the 2nd set and repeat. Usually do at least 3 sets of each before I get to weights. Today was bi and tri after and my bis we're pumped like crazy after preacher curls.

I also used their hand held body fat measuring thing, came out to 21.4 which the sheet said was perfect for my weight. Not sure how accurate that is but IDK.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 10:37 AM   #629
deeLow
DOPE
Rep

Also realized I missed dips today : now I'm pissed.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 01:14 PM   #630
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Hit legs last night. Back to the max I had done in the past on the sled. Probably not going up in weight there, but trying for better, slower reps and making sure I hit the target number with each set. I like pyramids!!!

I went out at the end to "Muscle Beach" to try out some different machines. Not sure what I was doing on that one squat rack, but it was the last workout of the night so just squatting a bit was enough to elicit groans.

Between sets while breathing, I kept seeing these 3 young ladies doing bar curls with their knees locked, and MY back was hurting. I almost walked away when I was done, but decided to offer a bit of advice. Just offered to them that they should bend their knees just a bit, since the thighs are much stronger than the lower back. Then I walked away and went home.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #631
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

didn't go all of last week. did back, shoulders and biceps this week. (mon, tues) did not go wed, or today, sore AF.

will be hitting chest/tri's tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #632
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Hit chest this morning. Still not moving up my bench weight but my shoulder is still holding up OK. Thursday after legs I was able to sit down. Getting out of the chair was a whole nuther thing
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #633
deeLow
DOPE
Rep

Did 3 sets of wide pull-ups,3 sets of regular grip chin ups, 85 push-ups of diamonds wide hands and regular, 45 dips and 3 sets of a holding split squat moving a kettle bell around my thigh. That got my legs burning FAST.

I'm sure tomorrow I'll be feeling it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #634
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

for those that went on a cut before, what's ur take on "refeed day"
      01-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #635
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Friday chest went pretty well. Only rotator was sore when I refereed 2 games on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. Headed over to do back/bi soon.

Question Kevin pushed for me: my grip will probably give out long before my lat do. What more can I do to work back when I can't grip a bar any longer?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #636
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Friday chest went pretty well. Only rotator was sore when I refereed 2 games on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. Headed over to do back/bi soon.

Question Kevin pushed for me: my grip will probably give out long before my lat do. What more can I do to work back when I can't grip a bar any longer?
Straps/wraps ?
Never was interested in straps.
Been trying to do ROCK CLIMBER infused workout and strengthening grip.
Pull-ups and heavy 200lb plus shoulder shrugs while doing dead lifts
There are lots of little tools for grip strengthening, squeezing balls of wax and tennis balls, rock climbing sites sell grip strengthening devices.
I'm not a rock climber.
For lower back hyper-extension bench, there are also some machines for lower back.
Swimming.

Hope I understood your question
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #637
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Even when I used to use those squeezy hands with the spring in the middle I always had trouble keeping grip on weight that worked my lats.

My fingers start to open before I can finish a set of 10-12
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 01:11 AM   #638
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: something with 4 wheels

You need to work on your grip (forearm strength). If you can't hang onto the weight.... you're not ready to lift it. That's the mentality I've always had. I don't believe in using straps/pads/etc. But if you want the quick fix then straps are really your only option.
Appreciate 0