BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

05-17-2024, 06:04 PM   #1
Highline-Autos.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: '15 BMW i8

Alpina B7 (F01) Test Drive, Am I or the Car Wrong?

The Build Up:

Growing up, the F01 Alpina B7 was the absolute coolest sedan I had ever seen. The blue exterior and those big turbine wheels I was hooked! Some years and a couple Mercedes-Benz and AMG's later I find my self considering finally taking a plunge in an '13 Alpina B7.

Mint condition / low mile examples of these cars are rare and often not local... but I was so enthralled I was willing to purchase site unseen, no questions asked (ok maybe one or two), but if it was a clean example with plenty of service history, no problem, put it on the truck and send it my way!

Low and behold the perfect spec for a great price pops up local, mileage wasn't at all what I was looking for, (60K almost if I remember correctly), but condition was good and if the rest checked out I was going to take it home. A Alpina B7 serving the role of "second, fun car", I'm sure the M crowd would express their displeasure, however I've always been drawn to the fast sedan/wagon over a fast sports car....

The Let Down:

I'm not sure if it was because I was expecting an AMG like experience in the better looking body style of an Alpina, or maybe something was wrong mechanically... but the car simply had no get up and go! No personality what-so-ever from the drivetrain, I even got to the point where I put it in Sport + and foot to the floor waiting for something to happen, but nothing. I pointed out to the sales manager via text after the test drive, "I think something is wrong with the car" because he couldn't believe my disappointment in performance either.

Any Aplina B7 owners out there ready to tell me I'm crazy and that in fact something was wrong with the car? The whole experience was such a let down, I'm not sure I'd be willing to purchase a vehicle sight unseen again... which I had done 5 previous times without issues, previously they had all turned out better than expected!

Anyways... I'm not sure where to take my love for Alpina from here after such a disappointing experience.

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 02 https://bit.ly/49A6n4M
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 06:08 PM   #2
Highline-Autos.com
Rep

I forgot the photos....
Attached Images

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 11:04 AM   #3
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

I'd buy that car...if I could find it for sale!

Since you are asking here are a few of my thoughts...they may or may not apply:
  1. Alpina does not equal an ///M and an AMG does not equal an ///M either (depending on which AMG, and AMG is a monster)
  2. The F01/F02 B7 is NOT a modern car (500HP for the pre-LCI and 530 HP for the LCI is not a lot of HP in 2024)
  3. An 11 year old car isn't going to run like new, even if maintenance is current
  4. Alpina performance is masked by the suspension, as it hides a lot, and from the sound isolation
  5. Self-imposed expectations typically lead to disappoints that rarely are ever overcome

I would say that the Alpina is not for everyone.

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 05-18-2024 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 01:38 PM   #4
Highline-Autos.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
I'd buy that car...if I could find it for sale!

Since you are asking here are a few of my thoughts...they may or may not apply:

1. Alpina != ///M (or AMG).....AMG != ///M either (depending on which AMG, and AMG is a monster)
2. The F01/F02 B7 is NOT a modern car (500HP for the pre-LCI and 530 HP for the LCI is not a lot of HP in 2024)
3. An 11 year old car isn't going to run like new, even if maintenance is current
4. Alpina performance is masked the suspension, as it hides a lot, and from the sound isolation
5. Self-imposed expectations typically lead to disappoints that rarely are ever overcome

I would say that the Alpina is not for everyone.
1. Compared to my '01 E55 AMG the Alpina was nothing special.
2. at 500hp it would have been the highest HP car I've owned... still was not impressed.
3. True, I do wonder if I had a PPI done what the findings would have been... poor turbo performance?
4. This may be it but my '08 MB S550 again left "quicker"
5. Agreed.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 01:54 PM   #5
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com View Post
...2. at 500hp it would have been the highest HP car I've owned... still was not impressed.
Pretty sure that the vehicle in your original post is an LCI, so sorry to disappoint further, but that should be 530 HP under the hood.

Honestly, if the turbo's are working correctly, and the engine is at temperature (which should happen pretty quickly), that car should impress!

I did try and peruse your site that the one shown on the rear of the B7, and could not locate it...did someone already purchase it?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 04:22 PM   #6
Highline-Autos.com
Rep

Quote:
Pretty sure that the vehicle in your original post is an LCI, so sorry to disappoint further, but that should be 530 HP under the hood.

Honestly, if the turbo's are working correctly, and the engine is at temperature (which should happen pretty quickly), that car should impress!

I did try and peruse your site that the one shown on the rear of the B7, and could not locate it...did someone already purchase it?
Sorry I should have specified this was December 2023, so she's long gone! It would have been a great buy if you knew you wanted an Alpina B7. 61K miles, an insane amount of dealer service records, no accidents, clean Car Fax, and it was listed at only $28K.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 11:05 PM   #7
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Highline-Autos.com , you should give both a pre-LCI G12 B7, and an LCI G12 B7, a try.

While, again neither are ///M vehicles, their 600 ponies accelerate way better than an F01/F02 LCI B7.

I haven't put enough miles on the S68 engine in the LCI XB7 to experience its 631 HP performance, but since it's a G07, the 0-60 is a bit slower than the G12 B7.

Edit: Forgot to put the summary statement....each B7 variation has their respective DNA, and none will beat an ///M. B7's fill a particular niche, Autobahn cruising, with a tad more performance than a 750 or X5 5.0, but with a LOT more comfort.

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 05-19-2024 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2024, 03:48 PM   #8
Highline-Autos.com
Rep

Quote:
Highline-Autos.com , you should give both a pre-LCI G12 B7, and an LCI G12 B7, a try.

While, again neither are ///M vehicles, their 600 ponies accelerate way better than an F01/F02 LCI B7.

I haven't put enough miles on the S68 engine in the LCI XB7 to experience its 631 HP performance, but since it's a G07, the 0-60 is a bit slower than the G12 B7.
I will! Should one pop up locally and if I have time, G12'S are just out of the budget at the moment unless I was going to consolidate to just one vehicle.... however those wheels and that badge do get me excited, hopefully the driving experience does just as much this time!

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 10:21 PM   #9
juicedM3
Registered
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, F01 LCI B7, B7 A4 Avan

I just flew down to Florida and purchased a '13 B7 w/ 38k miles. The trans is a little lazy (I've only driven manuals my whole life so I'm sure that doesn't help my opinion!), but it will go! Once it's in the right gear, it takes off!

Just putting around, it feels slow. If you're not careful, you're doing 60.

Justin
'13 BMW Aplina B7
'08 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T 6spd
'88 BMW M3
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2024, 10:44 PM   #10
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedM3 View Post
I just flew down to Florida and purchased a '13 B7 w/ 38k miles....
Photo, maybe on a new thread?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:46 PM   #11
Highline-Autos.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedM3 View Post
I just flew down to Florida and purchased a '13 B7 w/ 38k miles. The trans is a little lazy (I've only driven manuals my whole life so I'm sure that doesn't help my opinion!), but it will go! Once it's in the right gear, it takes off!

Just putting around, it feels slow. If you're not careful, you're doing 60.

Justin
'13 BMW Aplina B7
'08 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T 6spd
'88 BMW M3
Congratulations!

Quote:
Photo, maybe on a new thread?
No no, post it here!

Appreciate 0