BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

09-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #45
Faust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Calibra, M3 (E46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Appropriate.
This definitely looks good and revolutionalises the 7-Series exterior design however it doesn't resembles the mule/test vehicle much. The test vehicle's proportions, stance and silhouette looks very 3/5-Series-like.

I hope the end product really resembles the sketch. Also, I hope we get to see a major upgrade in the design of the interior.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 10:02 PM   #46
LV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schittenengitten View Post
While not a 7er customer, nice to see the design language in the hoodline back to the kidneys rather than set back like the f series cars. Maybe this will trickle down to lower series in G models. Newly released XC90 has this "traditional" hoodline into the grille also, dispelling the Euro pedestrian crash rumors.

Those hood lines in recent sedans are ridiculous - whatever be the compulsion for BMW to use them. I am glad they are disappearing in the next gen vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #47
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
This definitely looks good and revolutionalises the 7-Series exterior design however it doesn't resembles the mule/test vehicle much. The test vehicle's proportions, stance and silhouette looks very 3/5-Series-like.

I hope the end product really resembles the sketch. Also, I hope we get to see a major upgrade in the design of the interior.
There is so much fake paneling applied to the exterior of the car to disguise and distort its appearance.
      09-17-2014, 11:19 PM   #48
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV View Post
Those hood lines in recent sedans are ridiculous - whatever be the compulsion for BMW to use them. I am glad they are disappearing in the next gen vehicles.
The hood lines are actually on the current models to protect the car in a low-speed impact meaning you only have to get the plastic nose cone repaired whilst leaving the bonnet intact. They also provide protection if a car hits a pedestrian.
      09-18-2014, 03:46 AM   #49
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkimM3r View Post
yes i do. but i really dont care about technical shit and specs like a bunch of "car" guys or who think they are "car" guys do.

when you are driving a tank you can throw out any bullshit about "lightweight" or "drivers car" because really they are not meant to be nor would you have picked one for it. i would never drive neither the 7 nor the S but if i wanted a luxotank i would take the AMG S for its looks, engine, and all the luxury comfort shit it comes with over a 7.

i like to drive. i don't sit and knit pick about specs...you prob do that a lot don't you?
I'm a process engineer at Pirelli for 8 years and I have access to cars and I'm participating at tyre testing for cars before they enter in production (Porsche, BMW M)
Technical "shit" is what makes a car performing good or very good and total weight and weight distribution is a major factor for car dynamics!
S65 has a lot of power, but it's heavy and will not have a chance on track against the future Performance 7 model
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #50
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkimM3r View Post
yes i do. but i really dont care about technical shit and specs like a bunch of "car" guys or who think they are "car" guys do.

when you are driving a tank you can throw out any bullshit about "lightweight" or "drivers car" because really they are not meant to be nor would you have picked one for it. i would never drive neither the 7 nor the S but if i wanted a luxotank i would take the AMG S for its looks, engine, and all the luxury comfort shit it comes with over a 7.

i like to drive. i don't sit and knit pick about specs...you prob do that a lot don't you?
I'm a process engineer at Pirelli for 8 years and I have access to cars and I'm participating at tyre testing for cars before they enter in production (Porsche, BMW M)
Technical "shit" is what makes a car performing good or very good and total weight and weight distribution is a major factor for car dynamics!
S65 has a lot of power, but it's heavy and will not have a chance on track against the future Performance 7 model
Are you really saying the new 7 will be better on track than an e9x m3?

Wow. Just wow. The f8x is a negligible weight decrease than an e9x. You expect a 7 series to be less than 3500 lbs?

And the dimensions are huge. Bmw said we put so much emphasis on weight and we were excited at the possibility of 3300-3400 lbs. guess what happened? I dont know how much a 7 series weighs but the m5/6 are what 4400 lbs? Im guessing it will still be over 4000 or maybe 4500 lbs but hey its lighter because its also bigger. Especially on a 7 series because most will be fully optioned its still a TANK.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #51
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep

@pkimM3r: S65 AMG, not the engine of the M3.
7er will be with 200kg lighter ~ 440 lbs than the S, so it will have a clear advantage on track.
7er can't be compared with M3 on track, of course!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #52
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca
@pkimM3r: S65 AMG, not the engine of the M3.
7er will be with 200kg lighter ~ 440 lbs than the S, so it will have a clear advantage on track.
7er can't be compared with M3 on track, of course!
Oh oops

But it goes back to what im saying. As an overall pkg, im not looking for track performance with those cars and im guessing not one person in the market is neither. They should just go all out with interior.

On second thought, for my big daily comfort sedan, i think ill have to go with RS7.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #53
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkimM3r
7 series is just WAY behind the MB S-class
This what happens when you expand your product line to the point where every imaginable base of customers gets its own model.

The foundation of your flagship 7 product is now tied to every existing model in some form: controllers, processors, protocols and similar. The designers can't move left without considering the consequences downstream.

Suddenly, you have no breathing room. Then, all you can do is import changes from ancillary models into the foundation.

That's when compatibility issues start to arise. The only option is to slow down innovation until the accordion contracts.

But, by then, your competitors like MB blow by with innovations that don't need to fit into every conceivable model down below.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #54
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Hahaha I read today that even the VW polo gets optional LED lights... Come on BMW time to stop leaving all the lighting tech at 7 series/i8 level
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #55
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
This what happens when you expand your product line to the point where every imaginable base of customers gets its own model.

The foundation of your flagship 7 product is now tied to every existing model in some form: controllers, processors, protocols and similar. The designers can't move left without considering the consequences downstream.

Suddenly, you have no breathing room. Then, all you can do is import changes from ancillary models into the foundation.

That's when compatibility issues start to arise. The only option is to slow down innovation until the accordion contracts.

But, by then, your competitors like MB blow by with innovations that don't need to fit into every conceivable model down below.
Very well written!

Agree when each car gets focused on properly, better products become available. The 7 series are very good cars, but the ultimate luxury sedan is the S class. The last two models IMO have exceeded the 7 series whereas during the e38, BMW still had the edge against that S class which literally just looked like a box.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #56
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Hope they sort out esp too. bmw's current achilles heel imo
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #57
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Laser headlights, huh.

I remember halogen being standard and Xenon were $900. Now Xenon is standard and they want $1900 for LEDs. I guess this development is the path to LED's becoming standard, if that's what we want.

Has anyone made a joke yet about shooting the guy putzing along ahead of you? Lasers, get it?
      09-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #58
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep

The time when S Class dominated the luxury segment will end soon
The new 7 will be better in every area I don't get your points without arguments
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #59
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
I just hope that strong shoulder line stays. sketch looks stunning btw. if dimensions stay the same - usually every new gen gains 10cm in lenght 2 spaces at local supermarket car park arent enough - i will be looking into this beast. diesel if bmw sorts out its agricultural oil burners if not a smooth petrol 6cyl. C'mon bmw
If you are in the UK then you will be offered a four cylinder diesel in the 7er.
No thanks. I just sold my x3 and traded it for a macan S BECAUSE of its 4 pot diesel (and esp). Are you telling me bmw thinks that engine is 7ser material?? and yes I tested the new 4 pot on the Lci and had all my updates done too. I owned 3 4cyl diesel engines in the past - 136 bhp + 150bhp and 184. while power as gonne up refinement went the other way around. spare us the marketing bs and tell me that you think that engine goes with a 7.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #60
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
I just hope that strong shoulder line stays. sketch looks stunning btw. if dimensions stay the same - usually every new gen gains 10cm in lenght 2 spaces at local supermarket car park arent enough - i will be looking into this beast. diesel if bmw sorts out its agricultural oil burners if not a smooth petrol 6cyl. C'mon bmw
If you are in the UK then you will be offered a four cylinder diesel in the 7er.
No thanks. I just sold my x3 and traded it for a macan S BECAUSE of its 4 pot diesel (and esp). Are you telling me bmw thinks that engine is 7ser material?? and yes I tested the new 4 pot on the Lci and had all my updates done too. I owned 3 4cyl diesel engines in the past - 136 bhp + 150bhp and 184. while power as gonne up refinement went the other way around. spare us the marketing bs and tell me that you think that engine goes with a 7.
I have to say that if wanted a 7 (which I don't) I wouldn't have a 4 pot diesel, that to me is the wrong way round.

I want to see 7 tech in 3 and 4 series and the V12 in something other than a limo. Not the other way around with engines from a 1 series in a 7!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #61
cp2708
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2002 325i, 2012 C63 AMG

Hopefully it will look better than the dogs dinner they've got on sale at the minute.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 04:08 AM   #62
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Quote:
Suddenly I'm reminded of this:

Then over at Carspyshots.net, I kept on saying that an S250 CDI = S-class for beggars.

My usual response: Do you even buy an MB S-class (or any kind of flagship vehicle) to save on fuel???

Then the European forumers always tell me about 'fleet cars' and stuff like that. I just tell them that IMHO, for a car of this class and category, anything below six cylinders is unacceptable.

If you want to save money and fuel, then you only have these options:
-Increase your income so you can buy more expensive cars with bigger engines
-Buy a Toyota Prius or VW Polo TDI instead
-Take Public Transportation
-OR WALK

Four cylinder engines DO NOT belong in flagship vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #63
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Suddenly I'm reminded of this:

Then over at Carspyshots.net, I kept on saying that an S250 CDI = S-class for beggars.

My usual response: Do you even buy an MB S-class (or any kind of flagship vehicle) to save on fuel???

Then the European forumers always tell me about 'fleet cars' and stuff like that. I just tell them that IMHO, for a car of this class and category, anything below six cylinders is unacceptable.

If you want to save money and fuel, then you only have these options:
-Increase your income so you can buy more expensive cars with bigger engines
-Buy a Toyota Prius or VW Polo TDI instead
-Take Public Transportation
-OR WALK

Four cylinder engines DO NOT belong in flagship vehicles.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1063074