BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

08-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW Team RLL Finish 2nd and 8th at Road America

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Team RLL Finish 2nd and 8th at Road America
COMMENTS
Name:  P90158860-highRes.jpg
Views: 2880
Size:  177.8 KB

BMW Team RLL Finish 2nd and 8th at Road America; Strong Drive by Dirk Müller Returns BMW to the Podium

Woodcliff Lake, N.J. – Aug. 10, 2014 . . .
Dirk Müller secured BMW Team RLL’s first podium finish in four TUDOR United SportsCar Championship races with an excellent closing stint in the No. 56 BMW Team RLL Z4 GTLM to take a second place finish in today’s Road Race Showcase at Road America. Hounded from behind by the No. 93 Viper for the final minutes Müller stayed ahead to complete 61 laps of the 4.048-mile, 14-turn circuit in the 2.75-hour contest. He ultimately finished only 1.588 seconds behind the winning No. 62 Ferrari. Co-driver John Edwards started the race from the pole position and saved the day by deftly avoiding the race’s first accident to suffer only minor damage to the left front fascia. He pitted during the first caution period to have the damage repaired and hand off to Müller.

The No. 55 BMW Team RLL Z4 of Bill Auberlen and Andy Priaulx finished eighth. The car was started by Bill Auberlen from his fourth place qualifying position. He held the spot for the opening hour before pitting during the race’s third caution period to hand off to Priaulx. Priaulx fell back two positions following a delay at the end of his pit stop so not to run over an errant air hose and incur a penalty. He lost two more positions during late race restarts to ultimately finish eighth.

Separately, in the GTD class, the Turner Motorsport BMW Z4 GTD, driven by Dane Cameron and Marcus Palttala, raced to the team’s third victory of the season (Laguna Seca, Watkins Glen International, Road America). The duo led every lap of the 59 lap GTD race.

“Overall, this was a good day for BMW,” said Gordon McDonnell, BMWNA Motorsport Manager. “BMW Team RLL is back on the podium with a second place finish by the No. 56 Z4 and excellent drives by John and Dirk. The Balance of Performance is certainly not in our favor so the podium finish is well deserved. Congratulations to Turner Motorsport for a third GTD class win. They have kept themselves in the championship hunt.”

“Obviously, lots of yellow flags make for a challenging race,” said Jens Marquardt, BMW Motorsport Director. “We made the right strategy decisions and just had to sprint to the end with the No. 56 Z4. It is great this worked out for us with a second place for Dirk and John. Well done to the team.”

“After lap two or three the day did not look like it was going to be a good one,” said Bobby Rahal, Team Principal. “The No. 56 Z4 was wounded aerodynamically and it slowed us a little bit on the straights. Dirk did a great job and he was able to hold off the Viper at the end. The Ferrari was able to pull away from us on the long straights. Congratulations to them for the win. We are really pleased with second place. We’re back on the podium.”

John Edwards, driver No. 56 Z4 GTLM – (2nd) – “It was a bit of relief for us yesterday to get the pole as we didn’t expect to be so competitive here with all the long straights. Obviously, we played the strategy well after a bit of contact at the beginning. That gave us a shorter fueling time on the second stop and got us back in the thick of things. It was a short race for me today so this is mostly Dirk's day after he drove really hard at the end to hold the Viper off.”

Dirk Müller, driver No. 56 Z4 GTLM – (2nd) – “When I saw John have the incident only minutes into the race and the front was damaged I thought the race may be over for us. When it was my turn I used every trick in my book to chase and defend and am proud that John and I could race BMW back on the podium.”

Bill Auberlen, driver No. 55 Z4 GTLM – (8th) – “Between qualifying and the race we tipped the handling of the car over a little bit, so it took us a little while to make some adjustments during our two pit stops. Unfortunately, there was a miscommunication in the pits during Andy’s stop. In order to not run over an air line they had to back him up causing us to lose a few positions.”

Andy Priaulx, driver No. 55 Z4 GTLM – (8th) – “I think our pace was good at the end, but at the beginning and the middle we did not have the handling dialed in where we wanted it to be. Bill made a good start, but during the restarts both of us struggled. It was great for the 56 car to finish so well when they looked as if they were out of the race at the beginning.”

Round Nine of the 2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship, the Oak Tree Grand Prix of VIR, will take place at Virginia International Raceway, in Alton, Virginia, on Sunday, August 24th. The race will be broadcast live on Fox Sports 1 beginning at 4:00 p.m. ET. Follow BMW Team RLL on Twitter at BMWUSARacing for “from-the-pit-box” updates all weekend. More information on the program can be found at www.bmwusa.com and www.imsa.com.

Name:  P90158856_highRes.jpg
Views: 2781
Size:  206.7 KB

Name:  P90158860-highRes.jpg
Views: 2880
Size:  177.8 KB

Name:  P90158873_highRes.jpg
Views: 2781
Size:  249.0 KB

Name:  P90158879_highRes.jpg
Views: 2739
Size:  131.0 KB

Name:  P90158889_highRes.jpg
Views: 2658
Size:  134.1 KB

Name:  P90158896-highRes.jpg
Views: 2636
Size:  153.4 KB

Name:  P90158899-highRes.jpg
Views: 2658
Size:  169.3 KB

Name:  P90158912_highRes.jpg
Views: 4112
Size:  140.8 KB

Name:  P90158913_highRes.jpg
Views: 2675
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  P90158915_highRes.jpg
Views: 2842
Size:  193.3 KB

Name:  P90158918_highRes.jpg
Views: 2609
Size:  246.9 KB

Name:  P90158921_highRes.jpg
Views: 2689
Size:  210.1 KB

Name:  P90158922_highRes.jpg
Views: 2571
Size:  212.3 KB

Name:  P90158923_highRes.jpg
Views: 2654
Size:  194.1 KB

Name:  P90158934_highRes.jpg
Views: 2643
Size:  151.1 KB

Name:  P90158941_highRes.jpg
Views: 2665
Size:  197.6 KB

Name:  P90158947_highRes.jpg
Views: 2572
Size:  210.4 KB

Name:  P90158949_highRes.jpg
Views: 2599
Size:  205.4 KB

Name:  P90158964_highRes.jpg
Views: 2582
Size:  243.8 KB

Name:  P90158967_highRes.jpg
Views: 2598
Size:  189.4 KB

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

It was a good race & congrats to the winners & their crews...

Not good for BMW fans, that have to endure seeing a Z4 race everywhere instead of more prominent cars. It illustrates none of BMW cars are worthy, except for the 6 year old e89..?

It sets the stage for more questions...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Here's a link to my version:
http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1019408
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post

Not good for BMW fans, that have to endure seeing a Z4 race everywhere instead of more prominent cars. It illustrates none of BMW cars are worthy, except for the 6 year old e89..?

What more prominent cars are you talking about? They will only race their smaller cars now, so either M3 or smaller. They retired the old M3 GT3 for the Z4 GT3 and the new M3 has just come out. Your trolling is becoming tiresome.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
scott@bmwhn
Major
Rep
Drives: Msport X3

Just noticed the different mirrors on the #56 car, I wonder what the story is on those

Previous: 20' X3 M40i, 19' 740i Msport, 17' 430i GC, 15' Msport X3 28i, 15' Sportline X1 28i, 13' Msport 328i, 09' Msport 335i, 07' Msport 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Very good result! Too bad that the normal Z4 didn't received at least a Performance treatment!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
GTB/ZR-1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pending...

So... Another spoiler.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:

What in the hell are you talking about? The E92 M3 was headed out of production, so it makes sense that they'd retire the race version, and the Z4 makes for a great looking race car. What else should BMW have raced in GTLM? A fucking 5-series
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
The Z4 is actually a very nimble car with its shorter wheelbase. It does retain the M3's S65 but still lacks in straight-line power compared to its competitors. I'm patiently awaiting the arrival of a GT spec F8X M4/M3. BMW was quick to update their DTM cars (since they were mainly cosmetic), so I hope they come out with a new GT road car soon. The GTLM class in the Tudor series is probably the best racing in the US right now..always competitive!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn

Yeah. They'll never race an M3/M4 ever again.....
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 10:56 PM   #11
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Yeah. They'll never race an M3/M4 ever again.....
I actually don't think they have any plans to race the M4. The E92 M3 GTR program was in development before the car was even debuted. I don't ever see BMW racing with a powerplant derived from the S55.

Maybe they will go racing with the next Z4? I see them maybe dropping out of ALMS after this year. Especially since the powerplant they use in the Z4 GTLM is based off and engine that is no longer in production.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #12
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
I actually don't think they have any plans to race the M4. The E92 M3 GTR program was in development before the car was even debuted. I don't ever see BMW racing with a powerplant derived from the S55.

Maybe they will go racing with the next Z4? I see them maybe dropping out of ALMS after this year. Especially since the powerplant they use in the Z4 GTLM is based off and engine that is no longer in production.
I already exposed the faults behind this when you put this forward in another thread. Seeing as leaving ALMS would basically indicate leaving all of GT racing since they use unified GTE and GT3 specs, which isn't going to happen. I'm sure someone knows ALMS's homologation rules better than I but I believe the Z4 is valid for next season.

Do you wish to out yourself as an insider or do you actually have proof BMW doesn't have a racing program being developed for the M4? The next Z4 will use turbocharged engines as well which aren't even M engines, you think they'd rather derive an engine from a normal series I6 instead of the S55?

Last edited by tallshortguy; 08-12-2014 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 10:57 AM   #13
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy View Post
Seeing as leaving ALMS would basically indicate leaving all of GT racing since they use unified GTE and GT3 specs, which isn't going to happen. I'm sure someone knows ALMS's homologation rules better than I but I believe the Z4 is valid for next season.
They already left the biggest GT race in world a few years ago, the 24hr Le Mans. Mainly because the ACO doesn't put up with their sh*t. So leaving Tudor GTLM class doesn't seem like such a big stretch, although IMSA is more relaxed with their series homologation rules. They can focus solely on DTM and possible return to F1 as an engine supplier. Also similar to the E92 M3 GTE car, I think BMW is feeling they have hit a development wall with the car. And the series is not helping them, even with their complaining about speed. So it just feels like they may pull the plug now, if not after one more season.

GTE and GT3 specs are not unified. BMW gets waivers from IMSA to be able to run a modified GT3 spec car. The car runs less aero in GTLM, electronic driving aids are removed, such as antilock brakes, stability, or traction control (since they are not allowed in GTLM class). A few other changes as well, so IMSA would allow them waivers to circumvent homologation rules.

Quote:
Do you wish to out yourself as an insider or do you actually have proof BMW doesn't have a racing program being developed for the M4? The next Z4 will use turbocharged engines as well which aren't even M engines, you think they'd rather derive an engine from a normal series I6 instead of the S55?
Don't have to be an insider, just some common sense if you follow the series closely. Unless they are hiding an M4 racing program, then I don't see it happening. They didn't hide the E92 M3 GTR program, that was out in the open and begin very early in the E92 life cycle. I mentioned the next Z4 as a vehicle to use in GT3 and VLN racing, their rules book are for more relaxed.

Just one mans perspective that watches far too much racing. Even if BMW remains in Tudor for one more year. They would be working on a program for the next car to use in the series, there just isn't anything out there.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #14
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
They already left the biggest GT race in world a few years ago, the 24hr Le Mans. Mainly because the ACO doesn't put up with their sh*t. So leaving Tudor GTLM class doesn't seem like such a big stretch, although IMSA is more relaxed with their series homologation rules. They can focus solely on DTM and possible return to F1 as an engine supplier. Also similar to the E92 M3 GTE car, I think BMW is feeling they have hit a development wall with the car. And the series is not helping them, even with their complaining about speed. So it just feels like they may pull the plug now, if not after one more season.

GTE and GT3 specs are not unified. BMW gets waivers from IMSA to be able to run a modified GT3 spec car. The car runs less aero in GTLM, electronic driving aids are removed, such as antilock brakes, stability, or traction control (since they are not allowed in GTLM class). A few other changes as well, so IMSA would allow them waivers to circumvent homologation rules.

Don't have to be an insider, just some common sense if you follow the series closely. Unless they are hiding an M4 racing program, then I don't see it happening. They didn't hide the E92 M3 GTR program, that was out in the open and begin very early in the E92 life cycle. I mentioned the next Z4 as a vehicle to use in GT3 and VLN racing, their rules book are for more relaxed.

Just one mans perspective that watches far too much racing. Even if BMW remains in Tudor for one more year. They would be working on a program for the next car to use in the series, there just isn't anything out there.
With BMW's long history in GT racing and continued success it makes no sense for them to pull out. Besides, the reason they pulled out of 24hr le man is different than the reason you're suggesting that they would pull out of IMSA for, which is what we're discussing. They've been very successful with the Z4 despite it's lack of top end speed. If anything, it will push them to go to a successor M4 car.

Also, I did not say GTE and GT3 were unified, I said GTE in IMSA is unified with GTE in europe and same with GT3. The situation with the e92 GT3/GT2 development is different because it was needed as an immediate replacement whereas the Z4 was a stop gap between the e92 and the next car, thus it's not old enough to put out to pasture yet. This lets the development and announcement of a new platform live on a longer timetable.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #15
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
With BMW's long history in GT racing and continued success it makes no sense for them to pull out.
They already pulled out of ALMS once. When their E46 M3 GT no longer met homologation rules.

Quote:
Besides, the reason they pulled out of 24hr le man is different than the reason you're suggesting that they would pull out of IMSA for, which is what we're discussing. They've been very successful with the Z4 despite it's lack of top end speed.
As far as the 24hr Le Mans goes, ever since ACO made BMW change their suspension from what that had been running on the E92 in ALMS. They took their ball a went home. The Z4 GTLM has not been all that successful in the last two seasons. Corvette has won back to back championships and the Z4 has slowly been moving back in the field. There are a couple tighter tracks that favor their chassis.

Quote:
If anything, it will push them to go to a successor M4 car.
We will see. But as it stands now the IMSA rules book does not favor forced induction engines. I think BMW knows they would have a hard time competing against the big normally aspirated V8's in the GTLM class. Hence there is no info on an upcoming M4 racing program.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #16
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Quote:

WHO IS THIS GUY
      08-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #17
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
What in the hell are you talking about? The E92 M3 was headed out of production, so it makes sense that they'd retire the race version, and the Z4 makes for a great looking race car. What else should BMW have raced in GTLM? A fucking 5-series
exactly..bmw will not race a non production based car they can not sell at a dealer...but i know the Z4 does not come with the s65 from the dealer but yet the car in stock form is still avail.. i dont see them using the new m3/m4 as thet are not naturally aspirated...
      08-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #18
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

^
He is being a little bit dramatic. The Z4 GTLM is badass looking car and sounds amazing. I don't see anything wrong with them using it. But part of me wishes BMW would just build a purpose built car just to meet homologation rules and go smoke the competition. A secret i8 project with a na V10.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #19
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
They already pulled out of ALMS once. When their E46 M3 GT no longer met homologation rules.

As far as the 24hr Le Mans goes, ever since ACO made BMW change their suspension from what that had been running on the E92 in ALMS. They took their ball a went home. The Z4 GTLM has not been all that successful in the last two seasons. Corvette has won back to back championships and the Z4 has slowly been moving back in the field. There are a couple tighter tracks that favor their chassis.

We will see. But as it stands now the IMSA rules book does not favor forced induction engines. I think BMW knows they would have a hard time competing against the big normally aspirated V8's in the GTLM class. Hence there is no info on an upcoming M4 racing program.
ALMS was more strict then I believe, generally speaking GT racing seems to have relaxed homologation to an extent, or at least more willing to grant certain exemptions like the Z4.

Also, BMW has been very successful in GT racing in the last few years and I'm not just talking about ALMS/IMSA. They've finished well this year in IMSA with some bad luck in the last few races but certainly in the mix for the championship, they're certainly not at the back of the track. In GTD, the Z3 GT3 has a class leading number of wins. They've done well in a variety of European enduro races from what I've seen though I will admit I don't follow the various series over there very much. From what I've seen they have the best chassis but lack the top end speed, thus I think this would push them even more to build a successor.

What they decide to do with the engine I'm not sure, it's possible the upcoming rules changes to GT racing may favor turbocharging more to attract more/keep car makers seeing as Merc is going entirely turbo on the AMG range as well. Rumors are the next R8 will use their turbo v8, though they may still produce a NA v10.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #20
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
ALMS was more strict then I believe, generally speaking GT racing seems to have relaxed homologation to an extent, or at least more willing to grant certain exemptions like the Z4.
ALMS was more strict as they more closely followed ACO regulations. Tudor/IMSA still use ACO regulations as a basis for their rules book, but they have been applying more liberal waivers to homologation rules. Not sure how much further IMSA will let teams circumvent homologation rules.

Quote:
Also, BMW has been very successful in GT racing in the last few years and I'm not just talking about ALMS/IMSA. They've finished well this year in IMSA with some bad luck in the last few races but certainly in the mix for the championship, they're certainly not at the back of the track. In GTD, the Z3 GT3 has a class leading number of wins. They've done well in a variety of European enduro races from what I've seen though I will admit I don't follow the various series over there very much. From what I've seen they have the best chassis but lack the top end speed, thus I think this would push them even more to build a successor.
Really talking about two different things. Factory teams in GTE/GTLM run under ACO/IMSA regulations. The top dogs in GT racing. Versus what you mention above privateer teams running Z4 GT3 customer cars. Like Turner in GTD in Tudor. Which like you said are running very well this year. The Z4 GT3 has also done quite well in races like 24hr Nurburgring and 24hr Spa. But when it comes to GTLM they have not been themselves for the last 2 1/2 seasons and by that I mean winning. When I say BMW might pull out of GTLM, I do not think that means all of GT racing. For example private teams like Turner Motorsports would continue to run the Z4.

Quote:
What they decide to do with the engine I'm not sure, it's possible the upcoming rules changes to GT racing may favor turbocharging more to attract more/keep car makers seeing as Merc is going entirely turbo on the AMG range as well. Rumors are the next R8 will use their turbo v8, though they may still produce a NA v10.
Rules will definitely need to be addressed in the next few years. This will especially happen now that you see even Ferrari going forced induction with the 458 refresh. Part of the reason why I see BMW taking another break from the GTLM class until the rules book has been addressed.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #21
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
ALMS was more strict as they more closely followed ACO regulations. Tudor/IMSA still use ACO regulations as a basis for their rules book, but they have been applying more liberal waivers to homologation rules. Not sure how much further IMSA will let teams circumvent homologation rules.

Really talking about two different things. Factory teams in GTE/GTLM run under ACO/IMSA regulations. The top dogs in GT racing. Versus what you mention above privateer teams running Z4 GT3 customer cars. Like Turner in GTD in Tudor. Which like you said are running very well this year. The Z4 GT3 has also done quite well in races like 24hr Nurburgring and 24hr Spa. But when it comes to GTLM they have not been themselves for the last 2 1/2 seasons and by that I mean winning. When I say BMW might pull out of GTLM, I do not think that means all of GT racing. For example private teams like Turner Motorsports would continue to run the Z4.

Rules will definitely need to be addressed in the next few years. This will especially happen now that you see even Ferrari going forced induction with the 458 refresh. Part of the reason why I see BMW taking another break from the GTLM class until the rules book has been addressed.
Team VDS who has been successful in the GT3 racing over there is a works team as far as I know. GTE is obviously a higher spec but derived from the same program, so that's why I think their success in GT3 means they won't drop out. Besides, RLL finished second in 2012 and 2013 in the team championship. I don't see BMW abandoning who has been a good partner for them in the US.

I do agree and I think some rules will be addressed in 2016 season. IMSA is having a hard time keeping the GTE cars, with many manufacturers going turbocharged I think they will want to attract them to build more turbo cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #22
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
exactly..bmw will not race a non production based car they can not sell at a dealer...but i know the Z4 does not come with the s65 from the dealer but yet the car in stock form is still avail.. i dont see them using the new m3/m4 as thet are not naturally aspirated...
The Z4 isn't naturally aspirated either. The engine used in the Z4 GTE/GT3 cars has nothing to do with the production engine. I believe they still run the BMW P65 engine, which is a flat-plane, race-only engine.

My point is that it's not unusual at all for manufacturers to run a different engine in race cars than they do in street cars. That's not to say I think they're going to continue running the P65 though.

As Blipit and tallshortguy are discussing, we're at a bit of a transitional point in automotive racing. FIA F1 has gone forced induction again, and the smart money is on IMSA (and other sanctioning bodies) following suit to make their rules more favorable to forced induction.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport

Last edited by bradleyland; 08-12-2014 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0