BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

01-10-2024, 11:54 PM   #1
patchan8984
Rep
Drives: BMW 840iCV, i7 x60

BMW App and Electrify America

Question for those of you who have tried to redeem the free charging through Electrify America (EA). The registration method seems to be through the BMW App and selecting the EA option to register a new account. Yesterday, when the car was delivered, and I registered through the app…clicking on the register option through the BMW app would just lead to an error. Today, there is a BMW landing page that asks for you to register, but it also forwards to another error page.

I was able to catch the web address and do a google search and got to an option where it does forward correctly from EA to a BMW login, but the login doesn’t work even though it works normally if I go straight to BMW USA.

Just polling for any thoughts or workarounds. EA just told me over the phone that I have to go through the BMW app. Will likely call my dealer and speak to the genius to see if they can help. Given I don’t have home charging capabilities yet (the Qmerit promo will fix that in the future), I would prefer not to pony up for charging if I can make the EA promo work.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 12:41 AM   #2
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 i7 eDrive50 (Inaugural Yr)

I just picked up my factory-ordered i7 a little over six weeks ago. Before I left the dealership they ensured I was fully signed up for and received the promo w/in the BMW app. And BTW, yes, you do NOT go through EA or their app whatsoever (as it originally used to be) -- it's now completely contained within the BMW app. In any event, you are also eminently and likewise eligible.

Ha - MY only mistake was when I physically went to an EA charger the first time and I was flummoxed and left because it didn't work (and a second location I visited didn't either). Why? Well, I didn't realize you had to switch the selector to "on" in the car's Charging/Plug-In screen (idiot boy that I am). DOH!

If you do a forum search, you'll actually find the procedure in this forum posted earlier. Should you have difficulty, or another can't explain it well enough to get you going, the simplest way then would be for you to to bring your car to the dealer and have them set it up. It should them only take 5 minutes or less. One way or another, it will happen for you! :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 04:41 PM   #3
patchan8984
Rep

That is helpful. I think everything will work out. After some investigative phone calls:

1. Dealer asking me to call EA to apply the promotion code manually. Ticket created and they should call back and try to apply manually. That said, my understanding is that comp charging can only be done now through the BMW App. Dealer said EA had been hacked or something, so ask them to start comp charges manually.

2. Called EA. EA said to call BMW National.

3. Called BMW National and they said they know about the BMW App not syncing with the EA App for new signups/applying premium offer. They said this week or early next week it should be fixed. They asked that I call and ask EA to start the chargers for free manually.

Sat there at the charger and just bit the bullet and paid for now. If things are fixed next week, great.

Fun...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 09:17 PM   #4
FAM3
Major
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroMike View Post
I just picked up my factory-ordered i7 a little over six weeks ago. Before I left the dealership they ensured I was fully signed up for and received the promo w/in the BMW app. And BTW, yes, you do NOT go through EA or their app whatsoever (as it originally used to be) -- it's now completely contained within the BMW app. In any event, you are also eminently and likewise eligible.

Ha - MY only mistake was when I physically went to an EA charger the first time and I was flummoxed and left because it didn't work (and a second location I visited didn't either). Why? Well, I didn't realize you had to switch the selector to "on" in the car's Charging/Plug-In screen (idiot boy that I am). DOH!

If you do a forum search, you'll actually find the procedure in this forum posted earlier. Should you have difficulty, or another can't explain it well enough to get you going, the simplest way then would be for you to to bring your car to the dealer and have them set it up. It should them only take 5 minutes or less. One way or another, it will happen for you! :-)
So I am a bit confused here. Got my i7 recently. Dealer signed me up through the MyBMW app...so I don't use the EA app at all?

I can't even login there with my email.

Also is our promo for 30 minutes or complete charge? A bit confused.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 09:34 PM   #5
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAM3 View Post
So I am a bit confused here. Got my i7 recently. Dealer signed me up through the MyBMW app...so I don't use the EA app at all?

I can't even login there with my email.

Also is our promo for 30 minutes or complete charge? A bit confused.
Correct. Now, today and as of sometime in 2023, you ONLY use the BMW app and do NOT interface with the EA app in any way, shape or form.

The promotion is for no more than 30 minutes of timed usage at one of EA's public DC fast chargers (as opposed to a complete charge). Unfortunately, it seems the plethora of their chargers don't get the advertised speed. This means -- has meant for me in the 7 weeks I've owned my i7 -- that if you want to "fill up" from 20% to 80%, that 30 minutes will be less than sufficient. Remedy? Yes: Simply end your session and start another. Additionally I'm fairly certain that you'll also get at least a 5-minute extra grace period (it might even be 10), although I personally stop charging manually at 30 minutes. What happens after your time is up/grace period? I'm not sure if you pay the regular price or if they access an actual penalty price but it is extra (and remember that every time you start a session, your credit card will temporarily be charged $20 that will be applied to any overage of your time limit).
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 09:07 AM   #6
Gemini7866
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i7

Garage List
2023 BMW I7  [0.00]
Quote:
Correct. Now, today and as of sometime in 2023, you ONLY use the BMW app and do NOT interface with the EA app in any way, shape or form.

The promotion is for no more than 30 minutes of timed usage at one of EA's public DC fast chargers (as opposed to a complete charge). Unfortunately, it seems the plethora of their chargers don't get the advertised speed. This means — has meant for me in the 7 weeks I've owned my i7 — that if you want to "fill up" from 20% to 80%, that 30 minutes will be less than sufficient. Remedy? Yes: Simply end your session and start another. Additionally I'm fairly certain that you'll also get at least a 5-minute extra grace period (it might even be 10), although I personally stop charging manually at 30 minutes. What happens after your time is up/grace period? I'm not sure if you pay the regular price or if they access an actual penalty price but it is extra (and remember that every time you start a session, your credit card will temporarily be charged $20 that will be applied to any overage of your time limit).
Your incorrect on i7 promo .I’ve never been charged for charging longer than 30min..it’s only shows a charge for idle fees ..it says unlimited charge
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 12:49 PM   #7
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini7866 View Post
Your incorrect on i7 promo .I’ve never been charged for charging longer than 30min..it’s only shows a charge for idle fees ..it says unlimited charge
Thanks, I'm happily corrected (and apologize to those I incorrectly advised). Evidently, I misinterpreted the below from BMW's website:

2 years of complimentary 30-minute charging sessions for participating model year 2022 and newer BMW iX and i4 models and model year 2024 i5 models begins on the day of vehicle purchase. There is a 60-minute waiting period between complimentary charging sessions. 3 years of complimentary charging sessions for participating model year 2023 and newer BMW i7 models begin on the day of vehicle purchase.

The above seems to indicate that the 30 minute portion applies ONLY to iX and i4 models, and the the portion I underlined mentions no restrictions whatsoever for our i7s. SCORE! Next time I'm DEFINITELY going to charge for (hopefully), say, 41 minutes to see what happens.

Just to further my education, may I ask where exactly you saw the words "unlimited charge?" Is this printed somewhere or are you just assuming it's unlimited because you've never had to pay with your EA promo?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 04:48 PM   #8
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchan8984 View Post
Question for those of you who have tried to redeem the free charging through Electrify America (EA). The registration method seems to be through the BMW App and selecting the EA option to register a new account. Yesterday, when the car was delivered, and I registered through the app…clicking on the register option through the BMW app would just lead to an error. Today, there is a BMW landing page that asks for you to register, but it also forwards to another error page.

I was able to catch the web address and do a google search and got to an option where it does forward correctly from EA to a BMW login, but the login doesn’t work even though it works normally if I go straight to BMW USA.

Just polling for any thoughts or workarounds. EA just told me over the phone that I have to go through the BMW app. Will likely call my dealer and speak to the genius to see if they can help. Given I don’t have home charging capabilities yet (the Qmerit promo will fix that in the future), I would prefer not to pony up for charging if I can make the EA promo work.

Thanks!!
I have a '22 i4e40, '23 iXM60 & '23i7x60. The i4 and iX were delivered during the "era" when you could register with a Promo Code (ie your Prod # & VIN) directly in the EA app. The i7 was delivered in June '23 and at that point BMW was mandating the integrated MyBMW Charging for EA registration. Additionally, I have accepted and installed the certificate in my i7 for the "Plug & Charge" feature. Don't get me started on MGU21 and BMW, but short story - don't plan to get Plug & Charge offered to me on the i4 or iX.

My feedback on all:
----------------------
1. EA is a shit experience - no consistency of successful and seemless charging experience. Having flexibility to initiate a charge is key. The EA app will allow you to save an EA NFC Card to your Apple Wallet to initiate contactless "pay" at the DCFC dispenser, or you can select the charging station in the app, select the dispenser and "swipe to charge".

The EA app is locked to 1 single user for the free charging promo, however you can login as many iPhone as you want to the same account, so essentially anyone driving the car can take advantage of the free EA charging promo. The app looks at your GPS location, and requires location settings to be enabled for the app to work, so if you're not physically at the charger, you can't initiate a charge. Ask me why I know ... I'll tell you. My wife, who I love dearly, is the only person who perpetually will arrive at every single DCFC in the NJ area and have an issue 100% of the time initiating a charge. I am responsible for initiating her charges upon arrival due to so many of these painful events I get to partake in via telephone/Facetime.

Most important thing, have your "initiation method" ready, plug-in the car to the dispenser first, and then use one of the methods to begin your charge. Good Luck.

2. The MyBMW app seems to be a superior experience to the EA app. The integration to EA via APIs via the MyBMW app allows you to "Begin Charging" even if the dispenser thinks another vehicle is plugged in (and they clearly aren't). The EA app would prevent you in this scenario, so the experience is better.

Having used 1 & 2 many times, MyBMW app for initiating EA charging is hands-down superior and infinitely more reliable. Unfortunately BMW hasn't thought this out real far, and while you may share your BMW i key with other drivers in your household with their own MyBMW IDs, they don't share the EA charging to anyone listed as a "secondary driver" to the vehicle, so they can't initiate a free EA charge for that car. Luckily, the MyBMW app doesn't use GPS to validate you are at the charger to initiate an EA session. I can always initiate a charge at any EA charger (for my i7 of course ... wink wink) regardless of my physical location.

3. Plug & Charge. This is a bit more convenient than initiating from the MyBMW app, however I have had issues where the charge fails to initiate. In these scenarios, I have had to go into the vehicle iDrive 8.5 settings, and disable Plug&Charge. Disconnect the cable and let the dispenser reset. Then plug-in and initiate from MyBMW app has worked successfully.

Having said all of this ... I have ~7 months left on my mother's i4 and ~9 months left on my iX's initial 2 years free EA charging on those vehicles. I have the ability to migrate to the MyBMW app, but I choose not to so I have every available option to me for charging any of our family's EVs.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 04:50 PM   #9
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Thanks, I'm happily corrected (and apologize to those I incorrectly advised). Evidently, I misinterpreted the below from BMW's website:

2 years of complimentary 30-minute charging sessions for participating model year 2022 and newer BMW iX and i4 models and model year 2024 i5 models begins on the day of vehicle purchase. There is a 60-minute waiting period between complimentary charging sessions. 3 years of complimentary charging sessions for participating model year 2023 and newer BMW i7 models begin on the day of vehicle purchase.

The above seems to indicate that the 30 minute portion applies ONLY to iX and i4 models, and the the portion I underlined mentions no restrictions whatsoever for our i7s. SCORE! Next time I'm DEFINITELY going to charge for (hopefully), say, 41 minutes to see what happens.

Just to further my education, may I ask where exactly you saw the words "unlimited charge?" Is this printed somewhere or are you just assuming it's unlimited because you've never had to pay with your EA promo?
Mike,

I can definitively tell you the i7 has no time limits. Stay there as long as you want (as long as there aren't other people who actually need the charger more than you) ... it will cost you $0 every time for all 3 years!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 06:34 PM   #10
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
Mike,

I can definitively tell you the i7 has no time limits. Stay there as long as you want (as long as there aren't other people who actually need the charger more than you) ... it will cost you $0 every time for all 3 years!
I appreciate that. Thankfully I've had it wrong only for these first 7 weeks of my ownership. I took a long trip three days after obtaining the car and wish I would've realized this then! Oh well, thank gawd for forums and helpful people like you (and Gemini above). Live and learn.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 12:57 AM   #11
patchan8984
Rep

After the first few weeks of ownership, I’ve learned the in’s and out’s with the BMW app and some of the issues initiating charging. Sometimes, the charge now function won’t work and I have to search for stations on a map, then select the location and charger. So there are various workarounds that you get familiarized too (and also probably on these/other forums) to make it work. I’m relatively close to a location that has 10+ EA chargers and if I go at the right time, it is fairly painless. So far, no wait before 8A is what I have found so far. Pretty lucky!!

I7 = no limit on charging time.
Appreciate 1
darylp310951.50
      01-30-2024, 11:28 AM   #12
FAM3
Major
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchan8984 View Post
After the first few weeks of ownership, I’ve learned the in’s and out’s with the BMW app and some of the issues initiating charging. Sometimes, the charge now function won’t work and I have to search for stations on a map, then select the location and charger. So there are various workarounds that you get familiarized too (and also probably on these/other forums) to make it work. I’m relatively close to a location that has 10+ EA chargers and if I go at the right time, it is fairly painless. So far, no wait before 8A is what I have found so far. Pretty lucky!!

I7 = no limit on charging time.
Complete opposite for me, I have about 3 EA chargers around, ALWAYS busy. Absolutely not worth the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 02:36 PM   #13
bnzvett1
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

My dealer provided a pin that was used to setup the EA charging using my BMW app when I took delivery. I haven't tried it yet myself, but she also mentioned the 30 minutes. I will report back when I try it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 10:16 PM   #14
bnzvett1
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzvett1 View Post
My dealer provided a pin that was used to setup the EA charging using my BMW app when I took delivery. I haven't tried it yet myself, but she also mentioned the 30 minutes. I will report back when I try it.
I just reviewed 2024 BMW i& Charging Plan. It does not mention a 30 minute limit, but it does say that it does not include idle fees and there is a 60 minute waiting period between eligible charging sessions.
Appreciate 1
LVBMW1328.00
      03-28-2024, 02:07 PM   #15
LVBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzvett1 View Post
I just reviewed 2024 BMW i& Charging Plan. It does not mention a 30 minute limit, but it does say that it does not include idle fees and there is a 60 minute waiting period between eligible charging sessions.
The i7 does not have a 30 minute time limit for the free offer. It is essentially unlimited charging. There is technically a 60 minute waiting period between free charges, but in practice I have never seen this enforced. However, since there is no time limit on the i7, this would probably be a moot point anyway. On the iX I do sometimes have to unplug at 30 minutes and plug in again to continue since the EA chargers almost never provide the power they are rated for.
Appreciate 0