BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

View Poll Results: Are you getting an iPhone 7?
Yes - iPhone 7 67 23.26%
Yes - iPhone 7+ 86 29.86%
Nope 135 46.88%
Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

09-08-2016, 07:06 PM   #111
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Hate iPhone. Droid till you die. $170 ear buds you have to replace every 2 weeks when you loose one really? Crappies o/s on the market? Never. Mom's friend's daughter was married to Steve Jobs. Never have or will own one. Not until it's equal bang for the buck and can use office stuff etc, easily.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2016, 07:13 PM   #112
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBride View Post
I'll wait and see what the contract prices are. My 6 is up for renewal at the end of the month. If there's barely any difference between 6S and 7 I'll go 7. Having said that I'm not prepared to pay through the nose for one when its not really much different to the 6 I have.
Even if you get a contract price you will still be paying through the nose, just in monthly payments instead of up front price. If they give you a discount price, say $299 for a $699 phone, that $400 difference will be added each month for the 24 months of your new contract. So, you are still paying either way.

In my case, the features of the iPhone 6 have not been compelling enough. My iPhone 5 works fine. My son will no doubt get the new 7 and I will take over his 6. This is the reverse of the days when I handed down my BMWs to him. Funny how things go.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 07:18 PM   #113
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Honestly, the iphone 6 was perfectly fine to me... and frankly i think all phones of this generation are.... the newer features are becoming beyond useless. The only thing in my mind that could be better is battery life, and supposedly this phone improves upon that. That would be my only reason to switch.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #114
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Not that I heard. First thing mentioned iby the tech geek reviewing it on the news was that the battery stunk. They said wait for the next one in 6 or so months.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #115
C1Boston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Uber

I'll be preordering the 7 and waiting for it to be shipped to my door. Cheap to upgrade every time my contracts up... when the price is loaded with employer & school discounts why not?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 07:25 PM   #116
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1
Hate iPhone. Droid till you die. $170 ear buds you have to replace every 2 weeks when you loose one really? Crappies o/s on the market? Never. Mom's friend's daughter was married to Steve Jobs. Never have or will own one. Not until it's equal bang for the buck and can use office stuff etc, easily.
Pretty incoherent thoughts happening here...not one person is talking about headphones in this thread.
Appreciate 1
omasou2088.00
      09-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #117
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
Pretty incoherent thoughts happening here...not one person is talking about headphones in this thread.
Yeah. Camera so? Battery not. etc. Where's the beef?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #118
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
What??
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #119
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
At Wendy's
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 09:27 PM   #120
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Bluetooth audio sound quality doesn't compare anywhere near that of the legacy analog jack though.
Compared to my B&W wired these sound fine.

Go to a Brookstone and give a listen they're pretty cool especially if you don't want your ears covered or blocked and want to hear what's going on around you.

On a plane you need to add ear plugs or use a traditional in ear or over ear style.

Last edited by omasou; 09-08-2016 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #121
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post

With that said, I miss my blackberry...
Never used one but seems like those that did loved them.

Let it go man it ain't coming back
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 09:38 PM   #122
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Now you can turn your iPhone 6 into an iPhone 7 with this simple device:

http://appleplugs.com/

I watched three people get really excited about the new wireless headphones they will be able to buy from apple sometime in the near future for the new iPhone. One asked something like "are they Bluetooth?" and the other said excitedly "no, they are made proprietary for Apple!" For some reason he really loved that rather than thinking "Wait? The headphones that cost over $150 will only work with the phone and no other devices?" Fugging lemmings. That conversation was not exact but close enough to give me a chuckle.

Last edited by gtron; 09-08-2016 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 10:57 PM   #123
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
They can't even figure out how to stop the fragmentation and upgrade older phones.

I don't really follow wearables but the fact that I'm not even aware that MS had a horse in the game or that S1/S2 is Samsung's attempt to break free of Android tells me that there isn't any traction there. But who the heck am I.

Enterprise would still be on XP if they could, most are stuck on 7 and only b/c they had to upgrade. Others that want to use 10 are trying to figure out how to use it w/o MS Cloud integrations (mostly b/c they are afraid of security issues, fact or fiction, I don't know) Look how MS used the FUD machine to force people to make a decision by ending the free upgrade. Most that "I know" where trying to figure out how to stop the "automatic" upgrade.

The only reason MS is still in enterprise is b/c IT is too comfortable with and not willing to learn what it takes to support alternatives. That's slowly changing with Sales using iPads and enterprise standardizing on iPhones. Where's Android here. Answer it's not. They are outside looking in.

Now in Education Google is making strides with Chromebooks and Google Docs, Sheets, Drive, etc. This is what Apple needs to address and are starting to with the latest release this month. MS this is the nail in their coffin.

Guess you know where I fall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
The bolded items, are just not true. Your opinion is not truth

I do sales and consultation for various Federal agencies and have been a former government contractor. I say this to provide context of where I'm coming from.

To protect the government agency and not embarrass some personal contacts there, I personally saw a pallet of iPads sitting in a store room unused waiting to be shipped off to some surplus facility because someone thought it would be cool to bring in iPads into that environment. This person didn't account for how difficult it would be to get the iPads to conform to the agency's security standards along with how much of a mess it would be to have to port over the major production apps.

Another instance and I can be a bit more specific as it doesn't embarrass any government agency. A client at DHS recounted his experience with an Apple executive in a meeting they had. This organization wanted to look into purchasing iPhones for their corporate use. They asked if Apple was willing to make changes to iOS to allow them to use the phones on the corporate network. The executive looked at his watch for a few minutes and said, we just sold 10,000 more iPhones and how many are you looking to buy again? Which concluded the meeting.

Also, network administrators cringe when someone talks about wanting to run any Apple product and Apple's screwed up custom protocols on their network.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 11:20 PM   #124
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
Hate to break it to you but the business as a whole isnt interested in moving the cheese for productive employees
I guess the millions of development and deployment dollars spent on MDM and BYOD technologies have been a figment of my imagination?

Quote:
Mac and Linux (to a lesser degree) bring to the table solutions that are stable and dont require anywhere near the effort to support in terms of life cycle, patching and overall vulnerabilities
So I can put you into the camp that spouts out the gibberish that Macs are immune to viruses, malware, and hacking.

Quote:
The only people interested in W10 are execs who want newest flashy toys like Surface Pro 4......<yawn>
Hmm...there are various Federal Agencies that are starting to roll out Win10 and skipping over Win8 in their upgrade cycle. The Federal Government which can't get out of its own way.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business...to-windows-10/

http://www.techworm.net/2016/04/u-s-...-home-pcs.html
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 11:43 PM   #125
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I guess the millions of development and deployment dollars spent on MDM and BYOD technologies have been a figment of my imagination?
Most businesses arent keen on BYOD at all

In no small part because applications to compartmentalize business email/applications from the rest of the personal device are less than perfect......and what company wants employees to permanently retain CPI where the business has zero control over the device

Want more evidence of this? Whats the US Gov doing with BYOD.....its pretty much universally banned

Quote:
So I can put you into the camp that spouts out the gibberish that Macs are immune to viruses, malware, and hacking.
Did I say that?

Nope.....

You making a comment like that is like me asking you "When did you stop beating your wife?"

Quote:
Hmm...there are various Federal Agencies that are starting to roll out Win10 and skipping over Win8 in their upgrade cycle. The Federal Government which can't get out of its own way.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business...to-windows-10/

http://www.techworm.net/2016/04/u-s-...-home-pcs.html
Everybody has skipped Win8.....Win8=Vista

Do yourself a favor and take a good look at what OS those gov machines are starting with.......I'll give you a hint......its not windows 7......in many cases it pre-dates XP.......

so WHY would anyone in .gov go from Win2k/XP to Win7 when Win10 is avail and then they can procrastinate for another 20 years
Appreciate 1
omasou2088.00
      09-08-2016, 11:44 PM   #126
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
My S7 Edge is my 2nd Galaxy phone while I have owned iPhones since the 3. (3, 4, 5, and now iPhone 6.) I think this is probably my first time I won't be going from 6 to 7. The only thing that would have changed my mind was iPhone 7 being wireless chargeable and it isn't so.

I have liked my S7 Edge more than my iPhone.
      09-08-2016, 11:51 PM   #127
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
My S7 Edge is my 2nd Galaxy phone while I have owned iPhones since the 3. (3, 4, 5, and now iPhone 6.) I think this is probably my first time I won't be going from 6 to 7. The only thing that would have changed my mind was iPhone 7 being wireless chargeable and it isn't so.

Everyone I know that has a galaxy is very happy with it
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 11:57 PM   #128
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post

Yeah I think if the 7 had wireless charging and the camera upgrade from the plus, I would think about upgrading to the 7. What I really want is edge to edge screen on the entire front... why I don't know, but I want it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 12:16 AM   #129
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
Most businesses arent keen on BYOD at all

In no small part because applications to compartmentalize business email/applications from the rest of the personal device are less than perfect......and what company wants employees to permanently retain CPI where the business has zero control over the device
Your ignorance about BYOD and MDM technologies is glaringly apparent. Applications such as Good or Koolspan are used to help secure emails on devices which require extra "help" in being secure...ie iOS devices. There are other security applications such as the secure mobile work space provided by SonicWall's Aventail.

Quote:
Want more evidence of this? Whats the US Gov doing with BYOD.....its pretty much universally banned
Again, you shouldn't be speaking on things you know nothing about. I've been in meetings discussing BYOD with various government agencies and officials about BYOD plans. I doubt you've been in ear shot of such meetings.

Quote:
Did I say that?

Nope.....

You making a comment like that is like me asking you "When did you stop beating your wife?"
Yes, you did. Your blanket statement and connotation that Macs don't require much effort to support, patch, and deal with vulnerabilities is all anyone needs to understand where you're coming from.

Quote:
Everybody has skipped Win8.....Win8=Vista

Do yourself a favor and take a good look at what OS those gov machines are starting with.......I'll give you a hint......its not windows 7......in many cases it pre-dates XP.......

so WHY would anyone in .gov go from Win2k/XP to Win7 when Win10 is avail and then they can procrastinate for another 20 years
Again speaking from total ignorance. Most Federal agencies are onto Win7. There are instances of XP in the wild but only because of specific mission needs. One of my clients at NIH is dealing with this issue right now. The standard at NIH driven by CIT is for all boxes on the network to be on at least Win7. The group I'm working with has an issue with a few Win XP boxes that CIT has told them cannot stay on the network. These XP boxes are there because the manufacturer of the scientific equipment requires these bundled boxes to operate the equipment. The manufacturer has not taken the initiative to upgrade the software and the OS.

When I was a government contractor working onsite, I was intimately involved in the common workgroup environments at a few agencies. So I know full well what the lifecycle of an OS is and what goes into the decision of upgrading and rolling out changes. Have you?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 12:25 AM   #130
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
I like that its finally water resistant ...since ive killed my iphones while on vacations doing water sports and stuff (even with LifeProof cases,etc) Also, like the better camera on the 7+...

That said... i dont like the 7+ size. Its way too big for my needs...and pocket. So imma skip this version. But Hoping and waiting for a newer 7S version will have the dual camera option on smaller phone too.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 12:25 AM   #131
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Yeah I think if the 7 had wireless charging and the camera upgrade from the plus, I would think about upgrading to the 7. What I really want is edge to edge screen on the entire front... why I don't know, but I want it.
Yah actually the edge thing is amazingly handy. I'm glad I choose the Edge over the regular 7.

Apple is falling behind in phone design. Getting very lazy too.
      09-09-2016, 12:29 AM   #132
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52 View Post
I like that its finally water resistant ...since ive killed my iphones while on vacations doing water sports and stuff (even with LifeProof cases,etc) Also, like the better camera on the 7+...

That said... i dont like the 7+ size. Its way too big for my needs...and pocket. So imma skip this version. But Hoping and waiting for a newer 7S version will have the dual camera option on smaller phone too.
You know what's funny. Samsung and they way they release their phones kills the way Apple has done it since the 6+ came out.

7, 7 Edge than a few months later Note 7. S7 Edge isn't huge and it's still pocketable. 6+ and 7+ is too big for guys pockets in general. I hate that so much. Not to mention the difference between iPhone 7 and 7+ is pretty big unlike S7 and S7 Edge.

Honestly I won't be getting the iPhone 7 and that is the first time in YEARS i didn't jump from year to year. iOS and App Store might be better but iPhones are falling behind in design because Apple wants to make everything smaller and keep cutting things out. iPhone 7 should have WAY better battery than just 2 more hours. Compared to a S7 Edge that is just laughable. I don't have to charge my S7 Edge for 2-3 days in general, or more if I don't use it a lot. I have to nearly charge my iPhone 6 on a daily basis.

I'm getting more and more annoyed with Apple. I'm glad I like Samsung stuff, their TV's are amazing