BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #23
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I shave everything on my head except eyebrows and under my nose. I've found the best solution now is Cremo Crème. I use a dollop less than a quarter size, and cover my whole head. Plus it has a nice fruity/orange smell.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #24
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

While in business school we review a case study on Gillette which was done right after the more than one blade razers came out. Gillette was the largest manufacturer of blades in the world at the time and their growth stalled so they were looking for ways to keep the growth going they looked into expanding their markets like South America, Africa and the far east but saw little or no growth success in those areas for various reason, mainly the people there have slower beard growth and they did not care if the shaved with a dull razer, well actually they just tuned them up, sharpen them.

So what did Gillette do, if they want to sell more razers and grow the top and bottom line. You got it, market the hell of out the value of more blades is better. If two is good then 3 must be better and 4 is great and 5 is the cats meow. They had this all laid out over 20 yrs ago and from the looks of what is going on now, it seem the more blades is better story ran it course so now they doing this whole lube strips and dynamic movement is better.

Does not surprise me that a BMW guy jump on this, figure if good handling on his car is good to keep the car on the road it must be a good idea to keep the blades on your face.

Face it anyone buying this still is buy marking speak, I never done a barber straight razer shave since my beard is not that heavy and I get a nice clean shave with my simple razer, but I know people who gone to a barber and they say that is the best shave you will ever get, far better than any of these gimmicks.

Gillette did this to keep shareholder happy and make Wall Street like them again, If you are a shareholder than great keep buying into the story, but if you not why make Gillette shareholders happy.

Last edited by Maestro; 09-29-2014 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #25
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

^
Haha, yeah true.. when you read the title of the thread it has a more complicated name than what then sent to mars
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #26
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
So, txstyle, how long have you been working for Gillette?

Seriously, I've tried the various gimmicks, such as the "power" vibrating razors, which did seem to reduce irritation, but didnt produce a cleaner/closer shave.

Honestly, the biggest single thing I've found, after years of trial and error (mostly error) is to shave at the end of your shower. Get a small, fog-resistant mirror, and shave while the water is still running, and your skin is saturated with moisture, the shower stall is still full of moist steamy air. Doing it at the end of the shower is better than the beginning, your skin has more time to soften up, or whatever the hell is happening there. Not sure exactly what the explanation is, but it really works for me.

I've found that by doing that, I can use the cheapest, gimmick-free razors out there, and I get a better shave with FAR less irritation or redness than any of the fanciest, most expensive razors out there, especially around the neck. To be fair, I havent tried the new flexball yet, but I cant imagine it being better than what I do now, especially considering the price difference.
This right here.

I'm not wasting money on some gimmick that no one ever needs.
      09-26-2014, 12:31 AM   #27
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Although I have recently switched back to regular blades, I had been using an electric shaver for years. I have a Braun and I've had it for at least 8+ years and in that time I've only changed the blades and screen once and that was maybe 2 years ago. Still runs perfectly, holds a charge when I went on trips. It was a bit pricey when I bought it but totally worth it.
My old Braun still works. But all the recent ones I've bought like Philips Norelco SensoTouch 3D have died on me. I barely used it too. If I used it daily and it died on me when the warranty was over then it would not be as bad. The crap cost like $300, when it came out. Had another Norelco shaver and that died too. I banned all Philips products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I've used a Parker and a Merkur. I'm using a Merkur Futur now with Personna Med Prep blades. Perfect. Multi blade razors are silly, unless you need to carry on, then they're sort of a necessary evil.
Nice. I'll buy one when I run out of razor blades from Harry's.
      09-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #28
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List

wet shaving or GTFO.

i'll never go back to multi-blades or electric shaving ever again. overly expensive multi-blades are WORSE than a single DE or straight razor. not worth it at all and a complete ripoff (of your wallet and skin). eugh. and dont get me started on electric. all garbage.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE

Last edited by danniexi; 09-26-2014 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #29
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post

wet shaving or GTFO.

i'll never go back to multi-blades or electric shaving ever again. overly expensive multi-blades are WORSE than a single DE or straight razor. not worth it at all and a complete ripoff (of your wallet and skin). eugh. and dont get me started on electric. all garbage.
You know when I started shaving in the shower in the morning I notice my shave was far better, the pores are open from the heat, which causes the hairs to stand up, plus using a nice shaving cream, and it comes out nice and I no longer and any irritation.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #30
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

I shave everything on my head except eyebrows and under my nose. I've found the best solution now is Cremo Crème. I use a dollop less than a quarter size, and cover my whole head. Plus it has a nice fruity/orange smell.

I use Cremo Creme also and found that it works really, really well. I do shave in the shower towards the end so that my skin and stubble are soft and it definitely makes a difference. Right now I am using the Schick razor and feel that it is pretty good and lasts a decent amount of time. I shave every other day. Still always looking for something better though.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #31
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

U guys don't all tweeze your beard?
      09-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #32
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
U guys don't all tweeze your beard?
Nope, I only tweeze the scrotum.

(man, I cant even type that in jest without wincing in pain at the thought...)
      09-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #33
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

we got a vacuum cleaner that looks like that.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #34
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
Nope, I only tweeze the scrotum.

(man, I cant even type that in jest without wincing in pain at the thought...)
Zipped my pants up too quick once... you brought back bad memories.
      02-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #35
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

SO I am still using and satisfied with this razor. I have tried em all but this Gillette just works best for me without any irritation. So now they just released some new blade heads with extra lubrication strip. Top pic below. Naturally I had to try. Will report in a couple of days on my next shave...

02-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #36
jaco
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 SSII

I'm curious to see what you think. I used Gillette 5 blades for a while then went to the Schick 5 blades. IMO they last longer and give a better shave. The rollerball might be my next purchase when I run out of cartridges.

I can't work with electric's, I had a series 7 and it would irritate the shit out of my neck.

2015 Chevy SS In
2011 E90 M3 DCT SSII Out
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #37
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco View Post
I'm curious to see what you think. I used Gillette 5 blades for a while then went to the Schick 5 blades. IMO they last longer and give a better shave. The rollerball might be my next purchase when I run out of cartridges.

I can't work with electric's, I had a series 7 and it would irritate the shit out of my neck.
If a person can get away with an electric razor, more power to them! It's super convenient and way less expensive over time. I have tried the best from Braun and Panasonic and they also irritate my skin and don't give me the same closeness on my neck as my chin or face.
I thought the roller ball was gimmicky, but it actually works quite well. Here is a trick I learned to extend the blade life: These blades are ultra thin! So water, cream, and friction from course hairs dull them obviously. But I keep a bottle of compressed air and spray my razor dry each time. It has definitely helped.
      02-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #38
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

I got tired of buying really expensive blades, I started using the disposables Schick extreme 3 about 6 years ago, they come in packs of 4 that costs $6 at walmart, don't buy them at publix or walgreens they will rip you off. The pack of 4 lasts two weeks for me.
      02-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #39
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
I got tired of buying really expensive blades, I started using the disposables Schick extreme 3 about 6 years ago, they come in packs of 4 that costs $6 at walmart, don't buy them at publix or walgreens they will rip you off. The pack of 4 lasts two weeks for me.
I have a thick beard and shave daily....this is where it's at. Each one of these disposable's lasts me a month, or so, with some light stropping. 5 blades is unnecessary, lol. Hell, I don't even like the Mach 3 because the head pivots too much.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #40
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

I use this and it is still the same shitty shave. I also have the razor blade shaver in the second post or so and that works 10x's better but too lazy.

At least with the rollerball I can do it quick and get a decent shave.
      02-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #41
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

razor saver gets me to about a month on each cartridge, and I do everything from the collar up but my eyebrows and under my nose.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #42
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

I've tried them twice since posting. So the extra lube strip is noticeable. Seems to glide along very smoothly on my face. But, it isn't giving me as close of a shave as the regular Proglide. They both have the 'micro-comb' which guides your hair up towards the blades. I will alternate my next shave and see. But the proglide is definitely a winner for me.