BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

06-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
nd750
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750xi

AWD Alpina?

Please redirect me if its been discussed, but the car and driver article insinuated there's an AWD Alpina available, but my dealer says they can't order them, maybe in the future?

I wonder how different, really, the Alpina is. My 750 with Sport button pressed is pretty darn impressive, and I already have a track car........but still the urge is there!

John
2007 Porsche Cayman S Turbo
2006 Land Cruiser
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd750 View Post
Please redirect me if its been discussed, but the car and driver article insinuated there's an AWD Alpina available, but my dealer says they can't order them, maybe in the future?

I wonder how different, really, the Alpina is. My 750 with Sport button pressed is pretty darn impressive, and I already have a track car........but still the urge is there!

John
The B7 Bi-turbo has a good 100hp more and goes from 0-60 in something like 4.6 seconds and the AWD version gets there in 4.7 seconds if I recall correctly.

I had discussed the B7 Bi-Turbo with my sales agent and according to her, the AWD version will not be available until next September (as in 09/2011)?!?

I was talking to her about the 760 but since so far BMW has not made the 760 available in AWD, I am considering the B7 Bi-Turbo AWD version. The problem is that apparently Alpina will not be shipping any AWD versions across the pond anytime soon
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
BMW Alpina
BMW Alpina Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina B7

I do hope BMW bring the Alpina AWD sooner too...

I also think that the current B7 Engine 500hp output could be push even higher because the X6M already have 555hp and the next M5 suppose to have even higher power.

From a glance, it looks like the Alpina B7 and upcoming
M5 have the same basic engine block. (not sure about this, please correct me if I am wrong)...

I think the AWD Alpina B7 is a better platform
for tuning the engine output higher because
the AWD system will be able to safely deploy those
power compare to the rwd B7.
(just like Panamera Turbo with AWD).

I think 600hp should be a perfect combination for AWD in
Alpina B7.

I think that the only reason why Alpina B7 do NOT have higher horsepower is
BMW policy so the B7 do NOT eclipse the 760Li V12 power...

I wonder if someday Alpina would produce B12 again... (like S65 AMG)

Last edited by BMW Alpina; 06-24-2010 at 12:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

The x5M and X6M share the same basic engine block with the 750's engine, however there are quite a few differences. For example: the M versions of this engine have different and larger oil coolers, larger and completely different turbo chargers, etc. Although Alpina did some similar changes to the 750's engine for the B7, the majority of the gain is probably attributable to software tuning. I'm sure you could push 600hp if you really wanted to, but from a reliability point of view, I'm not sure if that's such a good idea. You have to also keep in mind that this is a different V8 setup with the exhaust in the center of the V which means that the heat is a LOT higher within a given space under that hood than normally found on V8 engines. Also, have a look under the hood of the 750 and see how much space for air flow and cooling is left. I am still amazed they were able to squeeze the 6.0l TTV12 in to that engine bay!!!

I don't think it is a policy issue that Alpina is not 'allowed' to push this past the 760 V12 mark. I think it's a matter of balancing performance with reliability (as well as cost to a certain extent).

I wish they would bring the AWD version to the NA market sooner too... It's not hard at all (or should I say it's way too easy?) to make the rear wheels spin or break out on a regular 750 if you tap on that accelerator a bit harder than you should

I think there were rumors that Alpina might introduce a B7S based on the 760... now that in AWD that would be SWEEEEEET
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
nd750
Private
United_States
Rep

B7S........now that would end my temptation to get a Panamera Turbo real quick........
2006 Land Cruiser
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
nd750
Private
United_States
Rep

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...hOK4JQZrLK4g==

X Drive listed under the Alpina on bmwusa........??
2006 Land Cruiser
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I think the website is wrong... as per my previous post in the Do Alpina B7 came with Premium Hi-Fi ? thread, post #2...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 03:02 AM   #8
ruey220
Rep
Drives: b7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Alpina View Post
I do hope BMW bring the Alpina AWD sooner too...

I also think that the current B7 Engine 500hp output could be push even higher because the X6M already have 555hp and the next M5 suppose to have even higher power.

From a glance, it looks like the Alpina B7 and upcoming
M5 have the same basic engine block. (not sure about this, please correct me if I am wrong)...

I think the AWD Alpina B7 is a better platform
for tuning the engine output higher because
the AWD system will be able to safely deploy those
power compare to the rwd B7.
(just like Panamera Turbo with AWD).

I think 600hp should be a perfect combination for AWD in
Alpina B7.

I think that the only reason why Alpina B7 do NOT have higher horsepower is
BMW policy so the B7 do NOT eclipse the 760Li V12 power...

I wonder if someday Alpina would produce B12 again... (like S65 AMG)
actually AWD will not have anything to do with more capability to handle more power, it's more for safety and balance of power distribution for average daily driver. compare gt3 or gt2 vs turbo in porsche gt class is rear wheel to compete in races that do not allow awd config, altough the gt3/gt2 pushes more hp than the later.

imho AWD has more to break in long run, and does not feel as scary because power is too smoothly applied. cannot burn rear tires and fish tail.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
nd750
Private
United_States
Rep

my dealer says its available now to order for a Sept build.

I'm just torn about getting out of my 750 Lxi lease early. I like the 20" M Sport wheels better, I may like the front of my M Sport package better.

About another 20K retail for .5 sec faster 0-60........but its so tempting!
2006 Land Cruiser
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
BMW Alpina
BMW Alpina Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

since the AWD Alpina will be available from September,
I wonder will the tire on AWD Alpina came with Full Season Tire,
or the Summer Performance Tire...
Guess we will know soon...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 06:19 AM   #11
nd750
Private
United_States
Rep

I'm guessing that since my XDrive 750 came with "summer performance tires" the XDrive Alpina will come with the same as the RWD Alpina, up to the buyer to get the right tires for the winter.
2006 Land Cruiser
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Regular F01/F02 models from BMW come with run-flat tires (RFT), on the other hand I think if I remember correctly, the Alpina versions come with regular tires (non-RFT). They are not the same tires thart BMW specifies. I would assume however that they are high performance tires. Why would they put All-season tires on a car that is tuned for performance, that wouldn't make any sense!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
BMW Alpina
BMW Alpina Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm guessing that since my XDrive 750 came with "summer performance tires" the XDrive Alpina will come with the same as the RWD Alpina, up to the buyer to get the right tires for the winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Regular F01/F02 models from BMW come with run-flat tires (RFT), on the other hand I think if I remember correctly, the Alpina versions come with regular tires (non-RFT). They are not the same tires thart BMW specifies. I would assume however that they are high performance tires. Why would they put All-season tires on a car that is tuned for performance, that wouldn't make any sense!
Because I remember I read on one of the magazine review of Alpina B7,
and it said ONLY the Short Wheel Base RWD came with summer performance tire...
I already forget which magazine stated that though...

Edit:
I just found out which magazine said that,
it is Car And Driver on their First Drive article dated May 2010 :
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

This is part of the paragraph that said that:
The chassis also comes in for attention. The spring rates are stiffened by about 20 percent, the front and rear ride heights are reduced by 0.6 and 0.4 inch, respectively, and the traction- and stability-control settings are tweaked. Alpina fits 21-inch wheels on all versions, but only the rear-drive, short-wheelbase car gets the sticky Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires in staggered sizes: 245/35 up front and 285/30 out back. The brakes are the biggest in BMW’s inventory, sourced from the armored 7-series protection package. Overall, Alpina says the new car weighs 4564 pounds in short-wheelbase, rear-drive form.

Well maybe the LWB and AWD version still get summer perfomance tires just not the Pilot Sport PS2 one...
anybody here who had taken delivery of LWB B7 can confirm what tire came with your car ?
Thanks

Last edited by BMW Alpina; 07-14-2010 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: add Car and Driver link
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #14
ruey220
Rep
Drives: b7

Quote:
my dealer says its available now to order for a Sept build.

I'm just torn about getting out of my 750 Lxi lease early. I like the 20" M Sport wheels better, I may like the front of my M Sport package better.

About another 20K retail for .5 sec faster 0-60........but its so tempting!
think also about at least 5 sec faster from 100-150mph.
lol
Appreciate 0