BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-31-2017, 04:21 PM   #133
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Can't we reengineer horses
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 04:25 PM   #134
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
No we can't, those guys ^^^ will complain about no manual shift, no V8 sound and lack of range.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 04:28 PM   #135
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Everyone works from home no commute problem solved
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 05:33 PM   #136
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedChamp View Post
Do you know you spend much more time refueling your ICE car than EV owners spend charging their Teslas? You charge your car in the OFF time 99% of the time and always have a car with lots of miles available to you. It's not like when you have an almost empty ICE car in your garage and you first need to hit the gas station to fill it up, which is plenty annoying.

And again, there is only such a small percentage that's driving MORE than what this early generation of EVs can already do, it's just nonsense to be so worried about the range. If you really drive a lot of plus 250-mile trips, then you just need to look for another car. I mean I don't tell my 65-year-old mother to drive a GT3 to get her groceries, do I.
I think you cannot apply your use case to mine. It’s not nonsense to me. I routinely make 400+ mile drives and waiting for a battery to charge back up is annoying to me. I was merely relaying why EVs don’t work for me. I am not telling people what to buy or not. I don’t tell your mother what to drive either.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 09:13 PM   #137
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Do you know you spend much more time refueling your ICE car than EV owners spend charging their Teslas? You charge your car in the OFF time 99% of the time and always have a car with lots of miles available to you. It's not like when you have an almost empty ICE car in your garage and you first need to hit the gas station to fill it up, which is plenty annoying.

And again, there is only such a small percentage that's driving MORE than what this early generation of EVs can already do, it's just nonsense to be so worried about the range. If you really drive a lot of plus 250-mile trips, then you just need to look for another car. I mean I don't tell my 65-year-old mother to drive a GT3 to get her groceries, do I.
EVs that achieve 80 miles on a charge have been around for 7 years, which offer twice the range of the stated average daily mileage people drive, yet the market for EVs is still around 1% and the sales of the LEAF top at 110,000 units. The $100,000 Tesla S with 300+ mileage range has been on the market for about 5 years, and total sales is just over 101,000 units. Peanuts.

There is obviously something about electric cars that people don't like that keeps the EV from gaining any market share in the US. Apparently people really don't see fueling at a gas station all that much of a hassle. What people do see as a hassle is on a road trip having to spend over 30 minutes to get 90 miles of extra range.

Car and driver did a comparo test a few years ago racing a Tesla S against a Ford Model T. The race was from Detroit to NYC. The Tesla beat the Model T by just over an hour even though the 100-year old Model T took a longer route.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
MSups693.50
      08-02-2017, 05:20 PM   #138
SpeedChamp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
EVs that achieve 80 miles on a charge have been around for 7 years, which offer twice the range of the stated average daily mileage people drive, yet the market for EVs is still around 1% and the sales of the LEAF top at 110,000 units. The $100,000 Tesla S with 300+ mileage range has been on the market for about 5 years, and total sales is just over 101,000 units. Peanuts.

There is obviously something about electric cars that people don't like that keeps the EV from gaining any market share in the US. Apparently people really don't see fueling at a gas station all that much of a hassle. What people do see as a hassle is on a road trip having to spend over 30 minutes to get 90 miles of extra range.

Car and driver did a comparo test a few years ago racing a Tesla S against a Ford Model T. The race was from Detroit to NYC. The Tesla beat the Model T by just over an hour even though the 100-year old Model T took a longer route.
Absolute nonsense. People don't buy it yet because it's expensive and they don't know what to expect. Some of you really live in the past and try to keep finding excuses as to WHY you live in the past.

Listen, I am a huge petrolhead. Have had many M cars and 911s and enjoy the hell out of them and couldn't care less about fuel consumption. Nevertheless is something like a Tesla the better everyday car for me. I never have to fill it up, charging it is quick enough for me and super cheap, the car drives phenomenally well for its weight, is comfortable, has autopilot, is safe and does everything my ICE cars do, but better. It's a no brainer.

Again, if you are a regular road tripper, you would be stupid to buy a Tesla unless you are very aware of the limited range and you are okay with the supercharging stops. For everyone else, no matter if car enthusiast or not, a EV is the better car.

Btw Tesla has sold over 230.000 cars (Model S and X) which is very good for a brand new car manufacturer with very new technology. This number will change tremendously once the Model 3 pre-orders are built and delivered. You know it, I know it, we all know it.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 07:22 PM   #139
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
DONE.

I am now accepting pre-orders for the 2019 Horsela Model H.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 09:18 PM   #140
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Absolute nonsense. People don't buy it yet because it's expensive and they don't know what to expect. Some of you really live in the past and try to keep finding excuses as to WHY you live in the past.

Listen, I am a huge petrolhead. Have had many M cars and 911s and enjoy the hell out of them and couldn't care less about fuel consumption. Nevertheless is something like a Tesla the better everyday car for me. I never have to fill it up, charging it is quick enough for me and super cheap, the car drives phenomenally well for its weight, is comfortable, has autopilot, is safe and does everything my ICE cars do, but better. It's a no brainer.

Again, if you are a regular road tripper, you would be stupid to buy a Tesla unless you are very aware of the limited range and you are okay with the supercharging stops. For everyone else, no matter if car enthusiast or not, a EV is the better car.

Btw Tesla has sold over 230.000 cars (Model S and X) which is very good for a brand new car manufacturer with very new technology. This number will change tremendously once the Model 3 pre-orders are built and delivered. You know it, I know it, we all know it.
What electric cars have you driven? I've driven the Bolt and the Volt. Was close to buying either one at different times, but neither fit my (outlier) commute of 175 miles/day. My best friend bought a 1st Gen Volt based on my recommendation. He's as much a petrolhead as you. I used an electric garden tractor to cut our family's 2 acre yard starting in 1973 (GE Electrak). I also have an electric golf cart for my wife to get around our property.

Tesla has sold 132,000 cars in the US and Canada since 2012.
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #141
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
DONE.

I am now accepting pre-orders for the 2019 Horsela Model H.
Horses are actually manual shift. The maintenance is a bitch though.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 05:56 AM   #142
MSups6
Banned
Rep
Drives: Supra, Former Msport 435

20 years from now majority world commuting will still be done with the almighty Ice.

Batteries need precious resources, ones which are NOT Infinite and who's mining pollutes and which them selves can be rather toxic and unhealthy to the enviro/people.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      08-04-2017, 08:07 AM   #143
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Then you will end up the carriage and passengers wanting something to drive it. Enthusiasts will again complain about the new generation not being interested in driving themselves (which was thought of right after we combined the horse and the wheel).
      08-04-2017, 08:22 AM   #144
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Interesting article, if EV's are going to take over the market why the need for governments to ban the internal combustion engine.

http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/mot...ave-to-ban-gas
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      08-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #145
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

An issue with these quick charge stations that hasn't really been talked about much has to do with number of users. With the current low number of users I suspect that showing up at a quick charge station and grabbing a 30 min charge isn't too much hassle. What's that going to look like when you arrive at the quick charge station and there aren't enough chargers for cars. Your 30 minute charge may turn into 90 min + waiting for your 30 minute charge. When I arrive at a busy gas station I may have to wait 5 min for a pump, the odd time I've had to wait 20 min for a diesel pump because of a couple of trucks and I was losing my mind....sorry but I'm impatient. There are a lot of hurtles to over come before the EV is the dominant mode of transportation I suspect.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 08:39 AM   #146
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Steam power shouldn't be overlooked.

The latest generation 'schoell cycle' cyclone engines look interesting
Attached Images

E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle

Last edited by Chappers 71; 08-04-2017 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 09:03 AM   #147
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
An issue with these quick charge stations that hasn't really been talked about much has to do with number of users. With the current low number of users I suspect that showing up at a quick charge station and grabbing a 30 min charge isn't too much hassle. What's that going to look like when you arrive at the quick charge station and there aren't enough chargers for cars. Your 30 minute charge may turn into 90 min + waiting for your 30 minute charge. When I arrive at a busy gas station I may have to wait 5 min for a pump, the odd time I've had to wait 20 min for a diesel pump because of a couple of trucks and I was losing my mind....sorry but I'm impatient. There are a lot of hurtles to over come before the EV is the dominant mode of transportation I suspect.
Mostly agree and I see any long distance travel as a major hurdle to a relatively small group of the population. I travel over a large area for work and I don't see an electric car anywhere in the near future.

Difference is if you said 98% of the gas station fill ups were being done at the your house then the problems would be drastically smaller. Then if your employer was also willing to put a gas station in and fill up your car while you were at work you might not use the charger network enough to worry about it.

Then in some ways the biggest problem right now with the charger network is few want to build them because there are so few possible users of them. Larger demand would have companies willing to increase the supply. Compare the price and space needed to build a gas station to having a charger station and the charger station is much lower and could be added pretty much at any location.
      08-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #148
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
Well, using the map, we can see where there are charging stations and if there is 22kw charging or whatnot. You can even see if they are available og busy. You can also locate the free charging stations, by your choosing.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #149
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
Well, using the map, we can see where there are charging stations and if there is 22kw charging or whatnot. You can even see if they are available og busy. You can also locate the free charging stations, by your choosing.

So you're low on battery and now driving out of your way looking for a charging station?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #150
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
Quote:

So you're low on battery and now driving out of your way looking for a charging station?
I charge my 16' first generation i3 mostly at home, and on job for free. I also can charge it on every mall and public parking for free, on dedicated EV parking places. The other choices i have is charging stations put on usual gas stations, and other charging stations. And as i said, i can see if they are available at any given time. And also what kind of power that's available.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 05:03 PM   #151
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I charge my 16' first generation i3 mostly at home, and on job for free. I also can charge it on every mall and public parking for free, on dedicated EV parking places. The other choices i have is charging stations put on usual gas stations, and other charging stations. And as i said, i can see if they are available at any given time. And also what kind of power that's available.
I don't think you're charging for free unless Norway stopped taxing it's citizens recently. In North America the range anxiety is high, given that we have a lot of long open spaces, but I'm glad you enjoy your i3. My point really is that I don't see the ICE disappearing in the next decade but maybe I'll be proven wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #152
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Why? Where's the superior tech? I don't see one yet. I don't see ev superior to ice yet in one single way except immediate torque. You can get that from a hybrid. Tesla may have some fun gadgets, but any ice car can have those too. Name one other way they are superior.
I would say it currently wins in fueling costs, repair costs and maintenance. Battery price is the only reason it doesn't win on initial cost and this is dropping quickly.

Some would also say for the average user the refueling is far simpler.
      08-05-2017, 03:42 AM   #153
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
There are zero of these in Florida. ZERO. None. I have never once seen one anywhere including brand new rest stops run by the state in Florida. Like I said, it's a California thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 03:44 AM   #154
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I would say it currently wins in fueling costs, repair costs and maintenance. Battery price is the only reason it doesn't win on initial cost and this is dropping quickly.

Some would also say for the average user the refueling is far simpler.
It's about 40% more for similar level of luxury and size. Minus those costs without the subsidy your still way over on cost. With it you're close but still over.
Appreciate 0