BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

08-26-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Surprisingly, I predicted the hazards of keyless start in my April 2011 bimmer post posting.

Now, thirteen (13) people are dead.

Keyless starts are deadly:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/26/auto...uit/index.html

Here is my prediction made April 5, 2011: (CLICK THE ARROW TO SEE THE ORIGINAL TEXT):

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Actually, this is easy to do and one of my greatest fears after having comfort access for a long time.

The fear, of course, has nothing to do with the harm on the engine. As one poster astutely put it that we can easily be in a traffic jam for hours. So, there is no physical harm to the engine unless you run out of gas.

However, the obvious concern is carbon monoxide should you leave the car running in your garage.

The use of checklists can prevent this. The only way to know with a high degree of certainty that the engine is off is to look at the rpm indicator and verify it is at zero.

The problem is that you can lock the doors with comfort access whilst the engine is running. This is normally a good thing.

But, it is not so good if you get distracted with say a cell phone call after pulling into the garage. So, at some point you forgot the engine was on thinking you already turned it off. Next, while still distracted you hop out of the car and lock the car with the door handle.

Yes, you see the lights on in the cluster, but you know that locking the car will extinguish the lights, right?

Not this time since you did not notice the engine running since you were talking on the phone. Your garage and house slowly fill up with co gas and you wipe out your entire family.

This is not far fetched since there are other scenarios that can make you accidentally leave the engine on.

I will post a checklist later, but for now always, always follow these two steps:

1. Force yourself to look at the tach to make sure it is at zero before exiting the car every time you exit.

2. After locking the car force yourself to look at the red led alarm light below the mirror until it flashes once.

Following these two steps will avert tragedy and always ensure your car is locked and ensuring the engine is off in your seven.

Last edited by BMWrules7; 08-26-2015 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
Raymizter
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 750i alpine white

Garage List
Anyone not knowing their car is running when they get out of it shouldn't be driving to start with. Focus and common since PLEASE....
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
Wavy
Captain
Rep
Drives: B8

Driver negligence. Not the technologies fault.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #4
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavy
Driver negligence. Not the technologies fault.
Of course. That's not the standard.

The question: Is it reasonably foreseeable that someone might park their keyless start car in the garage, get distracted with a cell phone call and then leave the motor running so that it silently kills all in the house?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #5
medman2k1
Private
Rep
Drives: 750Li

Stupid people will always figure out a way to beat a system.

I love the idea that I can keep the car running when my wife and kids are in the car and lock it while the car is still running.

I hate when safety mechanism make things more burdensome for the sake of a handful of stupid people
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #6
Wavy
Captain
Rep
Drives: B8

Quote:
Originally Posted by medman2k1 View Post

I love the idea that I can keep the car running when my wife and kids are in the car and lock it while the car is still running.
Agreed. I love being able to make a quick stop at the ATM and keep the car running. My last car was a Lexus it wouldn't let me lock the doors while the car was running.

'23 B8, '84 Monte Carlo SS, '23 Escalade, '21 S 580, '20 AMG GT 53 , '18 LS 500, '18 X6, '16 Corvette, '12 750Li, '14 GS 350, '13 ES 350, '10 Maxima, '09 Challenger
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #7
GeoX750Li
Rep
Drives: BMW 750Li X-Drive

People will say all they want about others being stupid, but I now see cars left running all day in the commuter parking lot, BMWs, Audis, Porsche Macans.

People are in a hurry running for trains, they forget, no one is perfect. Never saw this 10 years ago. The keyless tech is still new to people and this was very foreseeable.
Appreciate 0