BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

02-23-2016, 06:54 PM   #1
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Photoshop Gurus

I was wondering if someone would be willing to help me P/S a photo? The photographer at the MN State Open got a great shot of my son, (after 21 years of following him around with a camera and I have nothing that looks like this!), playing out of a bunker. I was wondering if removing some of the sand around his eyes is possible. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-23-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

It's a pretty small pic, so cleaning it up is not as easy. And you don't want to remove too much sand from around his face or it won't look right. Here's a quick shot at it.
Attached Images

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2016, 09:44 PM   #3
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

M_Six,

Wow, thanks! I actually have the full size picture, I reduced it so it would upload quicker. Is it possible to get you to do this to the full size shot?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #4
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Check PMs.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 09:33 AM   #5
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Just wondering who holds copyright for this image
      02-24-2016, 04:39 PM   #6
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allachie9 View Post
That may be a very good question. Not sure if you're trying to be funny or serious.

However, in my defense, I will say that I contacted the photographer through the MGA and he sent me this, and other photos on a disc.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #7
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmccain View Post
That may be a very good question. Not sure if you're trying to be funny or serious.

However, in my defense, I will say that I contacted the photographer through the MGA and he sent me this, and other photos on a disc.
Actually it was a serious question, but with no intention to upset anyone. I'm sure, by sending you the images, the photographer is happy for you to use them.
Mark has done a great job on the small file, I'm sure it's even more impressive on a bigger one.
Best wishes from Scotland.
      02-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Definitely a nice capture. Should be in a frame!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #9
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually it was a serious question, but with no intention to upset anyone. I'm sure, by sending you the images, the photographer is happy for you to use them.
Mark has done a great job on the small file, I'm sure it's even more impressive on a bigger one.
Best wishes from Scotland.
Oh no, I wasn't upset by your query. I assumed that maybe it was some type of professional photographer humor.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2016, 04:28 AM   #10
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep

Photographers have a sense of humour ? ? ?

Only joking, glad you weren't offended.
      02-26-2016, 05:06 AM   #11
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LRP M3 E92, MR M3 E93

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
great pic, swing, and cleanup! wow!
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 07:08 AM   #12
Adamrt
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Someone did this to my pic!!

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 11:05 AM   #13
ojoseph
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamrt View Post
Someone did this to my pic!!

lol
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 11:07 AM   #14
TBN54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 335 -> 17' F30 340i

^ LMAOO
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #15
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Does copyright extend to personal use or is it just confined to commercial usage or circulation?

As in does saving and using an image as computer wall paper or printing that image and hanging it in your office constitute copyright infringement?

I'm quite sure saving and using an image on my website where i sell goods and or services does. As well as using an image in my recent book that i'm selling.

Just not sure about the personal usage.
      03-24-2016, 03:20 PM   #16
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep

I'm afraid that I can only speak for copyright arrangements here in the UK. however I would expect arrangements elsewhere in the world would be broadly similar.
Here in the UK we have a great source of information on the subject, Copyright User.org, for both professional and amateur photographers, although in most respects there is no difference.

For example :

How do I copyright my work? Is there a formal procedure?

There is no formal registration procedure for copyright; as long as your work qualifies for copyright by being original, it obtains protection as soon as it is in a permanent or fixed form. In UK law, originality is defined as using your own skill, labour, judgement and effort. In other words, what this means is that the work must not be copied from another work; it should originate from the author.

Is it okay to use other people’s work just for personal use?

In terms of copyright infringement in the UK, there is no distinction between personal and commercial use. Using someone else’s work without permission or payment, outside of the copyright exceptions, is an infringement of that person’s copyright.

Here are a couple of important things to remember:

1) Copyright arises automatically; no formalities, such as registration, are required. Because of this, even if there is no © symbol or any copyright information at all attached to the work, the work – unless it is very old – is still likely to be protected.

2) The fact that a work is publicly available – like a picture you find using Google Images search – does not allow you to freely re-use it.

When you purchase something legally – eg. a song from iTunes – you need to check the terms and conditions of the licence in order to know what uses are allowed. This is not easy at all as licences are usually long and technical. In general, most licences do not permit you to re-use the work in new productions. However, there are a few licences like Creative Commons, which explicitly encourage the re-use of work.

However I would say that 'policing' copyright, especially now that so much is available on the internet is always going to be a very difficult operation. for this reason I only ever post low resolution images on the internet and usually put a visible signature on the image.
But if someone wants your image, there's not a lot you can do to stop them. The use of a good Reverse Image Search Engine such as TinEye can be invaluable if you suspect an image of yours has been used elsewhere and without your permission.
TinEye very quickly searches more that 14.5 billion images on the internet and will throw up any matches it finds.
I have successfully used TinEye on a few occasions and found images of mine being used elsewhere. I have contacted the users and politely asked them to take them down, or pay me, or at the very least credit me with the image on their website etc.

Hope this helps
      03-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #17
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 XDrve35i 2009 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Does copyright extend to personal use or is it just confined to commercial usage or circulation?

As in does saving and using an image as computer wall paper or printing that image and hanging it in your office constitute copyright infringement?

I'm quite sure saving and using an image on my website where i sell goods and or services does. As well as using an image in my recent book that i'm selling.

Just not sure about the personal usage.
Before I answer the copyright question let me offer a suggestion to the OP.

Sand shots are one of the easier images in golf while also one of the rare opportunities to capture the golfers eyes and the ball in frame; two elements that contribute to a more compelling image. Don’t give up on capturing your own image of your son if you continue to get access. Even consider renting more capable equipment for a special event if what you currently use is inadequate. An image you take is going to mean even more to you.

The reason of course is that if you time your shutter release too close to impact on swings from the tee or fairway, the pro or caddie will get you thrown off the course. Since the ball moves much slower on sand shots, a well-timed burst gives you a number of frames to choose from on a single sand shot.

The USA does have a formal Copyright Registration department. Many other countries do as well and cooperate in enforcing Copyright laws across borders.

http://www.copyright.gov/

Check the FAQ's available through the link above for answers to most of your questions.

From my perspective, the biggest advantage to registering is to aid in potential litigation.

I've had many images stolen and don't have the time or energy to track them all down. Where I will find the time and energy is when it impacts the T's & C's of the organizations I get credentialed for. Since this is a golf thread the PGA for example is very strict and protective of their brand. If I shoot an event and my images are used in ways they were not authorized for, I can be held liable unless I can prove I was not involved but would still likely get my credential pulled even if I wasn't at fault.

Listen carefully to the warning recited during every Television Broadcast to understand how seriously organizations like the NFL take the protection of their brand. Still images are protected the same way.

Most credentials allow photographers to use images they have taken for showcasing a personal portfolio but this would not allow anyone else to share the image in any way, including personal use. I need to routinely put disclaimers on portfolio images I put online or even share on forums to CMA. I wish I didn't and I assume I get a few rolled eyes but we live in a litigious society and Professional Sports Organizations could hurt me if I didn't.

No eyes in this frame but interesting to capture the strength needed to get up and down from a plugged lie. Taken from a high perspective.

These images are from the portfolio of George Holland. They are presented here for your viewing pleasure. These images may not be copied, linked to, printed or used elsewhere in any way and are protected by copyright and the terms and conditions of the USGA
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
smoosh2211.50
      04-29-2016, 06:50 PM   #18
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

GeorgeR,

Thanks for the input. I haven't given up on taking good pictures, but it is a little more difficult than it appears!

John
Appreciate 0