BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

06-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Question Clicking/Popping Sound Coming From Steering...

I am not one to "just accept" suspicious sounds coming from a $90k+ car! Or a $20k car for that matter.

I've noticed a pronounced clicking/popping sound that appears to be coming from the steering column. I am still trying to discern exactly when it happens: while going in reverse or forward: turning wheel too far: certain direction....
It definitely happens after Parking and then proceeding to backup while turning!

The car is currently at the dealer. They have replaced the Sway Bar and Bushings. Sounds are still present.

Just wanted to see if any of you experience this? If so what is it? What diagnosis to use with dealer for repair?
      06-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
I am not one to "just accept" suspicious sounds coming from a $90k+ car! Or a $20k car for that matter.

I've noticed a pronounced clicking/popping sound that appears to be coming from the steering column. I am still trying to discern exactly when it happens: while going in reverse or forward: turning wheel too far: certain direction....
It definitely happens after Parking and then proceeding to backup while turning!

The car is currently at the dealer. They have replaced the Sway Bar and Bushings. Sounds are still present.

Just wanted to see if any of you experience this? If so what is it? What diagnosis to use with dealer for repair?
Big Marcus, are you really a big guy?

Well, I say this because sometimes big guys need some help getting our of the car. As such, they grab on to the steering wheel with great force as they exit the vehicle. Sometimes, you can even see the wheel flex back and forth due to the extreme weight.

This can damage the wheel and cause all kinds of pops and squeaks over time. The wheel is a sensitive instrument.

Do not put any weight on the steering wheel whilst you enter/exit the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Just to confirm: The sound is most noticeable when the car is off, it’s heard when you rock the steering wheel slightly between the slack that exists in the column when the car is off and it's a bong / clunk / bounce-like noise with the slightest trailing shimmy / vibration felt, right? Please advise. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Big Marcus, are you really a big guy?

Well, I say this because sometimes big guys need some help getting our of the car. As such, they grab on to the steering wheel with great force as they exit the vehicle. Sometimes, you can even see the wheel flex back and forth due to the extreme weight.

This can damage the wheel and cause all kinds of pops and squeaks over time. The wheel is a sensitive instrument.

Do not put any weight on the steering wheel whilst you enter/exit the car.
Great point. And I have followed this all my life. A steering wheel is NOT a 'handle or body bracing device'. So to answer your question, no I don't. To answer your other question: 6' & 235lbs. Just a nickname I've had since back in the day.

Actually a positive follow up as of this afternoon... The problem was fixed! I will see exactly what next week when I pick her up. But they replaced the entire 'Active Sway Bar, bushings and something else.
      06-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Just to confirm: The sound is most noticeable when the car is off, it’s heard when you rock the steering wheel slightly between the slack that exists in the column when the car is off and it's a bong / clunk / bounce-like noise with the slightest trailing shimmy / vibration felt, right? Please advise. Thanks!
Not for me. It is ALWAYS on and running! When I back up and turn in either direction I hear/feel it. Also turning while going up am incline.
      06-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Doktor Valter
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Hydraulic oil pump

I change on my 7 the hydraulic oil pump of the steering gear due to the noise generated during turning wheel. Best regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktor Valter View Post
I change on my 7 the hydraulic oil pump of the steering gear due to the noise generated during turning wheel. Best regards
Thanks for that info.
      06-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F01 740d M Sport

Garage List
I had a similar noise and last week the dealer re-packed the steering pivot bush with a different type of grease specifically determined by BMW HQ to resolve a known and emerging issue on the F01/F02

Fastbuck
2012 F01 740d M Sport Alpine White Oyster/ Oyster
2013 E84 X1 1.8d M Sport Alpine White Black/ Black
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #9
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Not for me. It is ALWAYS on and running! When I back up and turn in either direction I hear/feel it. Also turning while going up am incline.
Hmm. Strange. Is your noise the same as that in the two videos posted on the bimmerfest thread regarding this matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbuck View Post
I had a similar noise and last week the dealer re-packed the steering pivot bush with a different type of grease specifically determined by BMW HQ to resolve a known and emerging issue on the F01/F02
When you say "resolves a known and emerging issue on the F01/02" are you specifically referring to this matter, a different matter or speaking generally? And can you please post a copy of your repair order?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm. Strange. Is your noise the same as that in the two videos posted on the bimmerfest thread regarding this matter?

When you say "resolves a known and emerging issue on the F01/02" are you specifically referring to this matter, a different matter or speaking generally? And can you please post a copy of your repair order?
Honestly I couldn't really tell by those videos...

The issue is FIXED now. However, the case is still opened as I am taking it back for another part for a separate issue. I am not sure what exactly they did but when I do, I will share.
      06-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F01 740d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

It resolved the issue that the dealer appeared to be pre aware of and certainly fixed it for me. The system works differently over here and I'm afraid I don't have any paperwork from them.

Fastbuck
2012 F01 740d M Sport Alpine White Oyster/ Oyster
2013 E84 X1 1.8d M Sport Alpine White Black/ Black
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

So here is what they did:

--Replaced Front Sway Bar & Links. Noise still present!
--Found Noise coming from "Front/Upper Core Area".
Checked Torque of all core bolts and found 'Front Body Brace Arm Bolt' loose. Torqued and Tested. No other noises heard.

I hope this helps any of you experiencing this issue!