BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-29-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Road and Track: First Drive: 2017 Jaguar XE

Quote:
'The 3 Series we've missed is back, but it has a British accent and a supercharged six.'

Most groups of vehicles are lucky enough to contain one car that's so far ahead of every other that it defines the class. The Germans are perhaps better than we are at calling out the obvious—what we call "small hatchbacks," they more simply call the Golfklasse, or "Golf Class," named after the Volkswagen Golf.

We don't have a name for the class of cars that the BMW 3-Series invented. "Compact, premium, predominantly rear-drive sedans with luxurious appointments and sporting pretense" doesn't exactly flow off the tongue. But we know this group of cars well. It contains the Audi A4, BMW 3 Series, Cadillac ATS, Infiniti Q60, Lexus IS, and Mercedes C-Class.

And now, the Jaguar XE. It'll be about a year before this sedan makes its way onto our roads, which is convenient. It gives you plenty of time to finish out the lease on your current car and start saving money for a down payment on an XE.

It's been a long time since a car so unceremoniously tromped the competition in driving dynamics the way the 3 Series used to do, but the Jaguar XE does just that. The reigning driver's-car champs—Cadillac ATS and Lexus IS 350 F Sport—are in big trouble when the Jaguar arrives.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves.

The Jaguar XE is an all-new, aluminum-chassis sedan. The 3.0-liter supercharged V6 engine, the only one available at launch, carries over from the brand's other cars, but the rest of the five-seater is new. It is, in every external measure, within two inches of the current 3 Series. Importantly, it's 1.5 inches wider and 0.6 inch lower, and as a result, it looks far more sporting on the road.

The aluminum construction doesn't seem to actually save any weight. Jaguar claims a base curb weight of 3671 pounds in Euro trim, which means we can likely expect the rear-drive sedan to weigh 3750 pounds by the time it arrives here. That's a good 150 pounds more than the steel 3 Series. Though the XE is dimensionally similar outside, it feels a half-size smaller inside, especially in the back seat.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, since the 3 Series has gotten rather large. The XE's front seats are wonderfully comfortable; the rears are somewhat narrow, thanks to substantial bolstering that pushes you toward the center. Legroom is at a slight premium back there, and there's enough headroom only for about a six-footer. The trunk is slightly smaller than a 3 Series's, but to complain about any of these things is to forget that this is the compact luxury class. The Jag is the right size, inside and out.

The rear-drive XE will go on sale in the spring of 2016 with that supercharged 340-hp V6 mated to a ZF eight-speed automatic transmission. Shortly thereafter, a diesel option will be added—a 2.0-liter four-cylinder with 180 hp. By the end of the year, we should also see a 2.0-liter turbo gas four based on the same new "Ingenium" design as the diesel. All engines will be available with all-wheel drive as an option—and Jaguar promises that a manual transmission will be available on the 2.0-liter gas rear-drive model. More on that later.

We drove a prototype XE with both the diesel and the V6. And while this new, in-house diesel is very good, we'll concentrate on the model with six spark plugs. Our test car was fitted with adaptive dampers and 19-inch wheels wearing Dunlop Sport Maxx RT tires developed specially for the XE.

The XE uses double-wishbone front suspension and JLR's "Integral Link" rear suspension, which is essentially a multilink setup that decouples vertical and longitudinal forces. According to Jaguar, this allows the use of softer bushings for the vertical plane (for a smoother ride) and harder bushings elsewhere for better wheel control—and therefore, handling.

Whatever Jaguar's done, it works like a charm. The XE continues Jaguar's tradition of impeccable ride quality combined with excellent body control in corners. The XE bombs down lumpy, twisty back roads at felony speeds without ever losing its composure or molesting its bump stops.

Here's the best part: It's not just capable, it's interactive and fun, too. Jaguar's first use of electric power-steering assist (EPAS) is a slam-dunk. The company claims that it remained with hydraulic steering until it decided that EPAS technology, which it's been working on since 2008, actually provides "better on-center feel and linearity" than hydraulic steering.

Bullshit.

Not compared with Jaguar's own hydraulic steering, perhaps, but that was an outlier. Compared with most every other EPAS setup on the road, the XE's steering is natural and talkative and, therefore, a huge relief. It might not be quite as good as the old hydro setup, but I'll say one thing: If electric power steering had started out this good, you wouldn't have heard us complain about it, ad nauseam, for the past few years. Kudos to Jag for not implementing EPAS until it was good enough.

And bravo to the engineers for making a modern car that's so enjoyable to drive. The ZF-sourced eight-speed automatic is, as always, absolutely transparent in its operation, giving you exactly the gear you want, when you want it, without you ever feeling a shift. The supercharged six is far more refined in this application than elsewhere, and its immediate power delivery is a welcome reminder of how laggy most turbo engines are.

Is the XE perfect? Of course not—there is no such thing. First, there's the caveat of Jaguar's legendary reliability history. We experienced no problems with the XE, and the build quality of our preproduction prototype test cars was excellent, though both cars had rattles coming from their driver's-side door seal and a whistle from air passing over the passenger mirror. These are minor issues—the fit and finish was flawless; let's hope this remains true of the production cars.

Second, JLR's new touchscreen navigation and infotainment system is far more colorful and somewhat quicker than the outgoing disaster, but it's still difficult to use and painfully slow. It lacks radio presets, requires far too many cumbersome presses to do simple tasks, and the navigation-map zoom is awfully slow.

And third: Jaguar USA's product planners need to shift gears, quickly, before our car goes into production. At the moment, the manual transmission is scheduled to appear only on base (rear-drive, four-cylinder) models. It appears JLR still thinks it's 1992, where college professors buy their Toyota Tercels with manuals to save a couple bucks on purchase and fuel.

If any models should carry a stick, it's the supercharged V6 and the turbodiesel. Manuals are bought only by enthusiasts these days—not collegiate cheapos. Furthermore, the V6 manual powertrain has already been federalized (it's in the 2016 F-type, which we drove but can't tell you about yet), and it is the proper halo car to suck enthusiasts into Jaguar showrooms.

For what purpose, that halo? Whether they buy a manual or sell their soul and grab an automatic, once they drive an XE, it's game over for anything else in the class. You've been warned—start saving now.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...017-jaguar-xe/
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

how is it smaller but heavier than the competition as well. That doesn't make sense, especially since it's an Aluminum build.

If they stick a 6MT in the supercharged V6, I'd consider it. Not a bad looking car at all.
      01-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #3
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Probably because of all of the safety add-ons that cars need now and then on top of that, all of the electronic BS that cars can/come with.

Its not a bad looking car but the center console layout is pretty dumb looking. I'm also guessing its going to cost a pretty penny too with that last statement.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Has a lot of resemblance to the A4. Dull and boring exterior, nice interior with what looks like buttons in the right spots.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Like all late-model Jags, that is one sharp looking car!

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #6
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Can't wait for my new car, the Alfa Romeo Giulia.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 06:48 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Okay, so it's heavier than a 3 series, the same size outside but smaller on the inside. The rear seat is smaller, and so is the trunk. ALL of these size issues are on the list of "complaints" that the auto mags have about the ATS, yet the ATS easily out handles the 3-Series and has far better steering feel and brake performance than that 3-series, and the ATS will weigh a good 400 pounds less than the all-aluminum Jag. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Looks like Jag is using super-heavy isotope of aluminum (aluminum-42).
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 12:09 PM   #9
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Can't wait for my new car, the Alfa Romeo Giulia.
Think you'll make it home from the dealership without it breaking down?

I kid I kid.
      01-31-2015, 09:03 PM   #10
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
The problem with all these new entries is it's too little too late. First, and this is the main factor, is that the go-to brands have been established. Second, these new entrants are building cars like it's still 2000 and unfortunately for them, the segment has evolved and moved on.

Companies like Cadillac and Jaguar are in this for the sales and money, anything else (exclusivity right Cadillac?) is pure bullshit because they can't move units.

I hate when reviews say stuff like this is the 3-Series killer or "game over for everything in the class". What constitutes it as a "killer"? I'm sure they said the same thing about the ATS and how's that doing? It's going to be the same for the XE. I'm not saying that BMW is the be-all-end-all car in this segment but numbers don't lie. You don't "kill" the 3-Series because you got a hard-on when driving it. You kill when you're on top and the only way you get on top is if you outsell it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 01:08 AM   #11
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 05:04 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
The problem with all these new entries is it's too little too late. First, and this is the main factor, is that the go-to brands have been established. Second, these new entrants are building cars like it's still 2000 and unfortunately for them, the segment has evolved and moved on.

Companies like Cadillac and Jaguar are in this for the sales and money, anything else (exclusivity right Cadillac?) is pure bullshit because they can't move units.

I hate when reviews say stuff like this is the 3-Series killer or "game over for everything in the class". What constitutes it as a "killer"? I'm sure they said the same thing about the ATS and how's that doing? It's going to be the same for the XE. I'm not saying that BMW is the be-all-end-all car in this segment but numbers don't lie. You don't "kill" the 3-Series because you got a hard-on when driving it. You kill when you're on top and the only way you get on top is if you outsell it.
Well if you want a driver's car the new BMWs are not the place to go. I'm not talking about $75K M-car class cars, but just plain, mildly optioned (i.e. sport package'd), well driving cars. BMW has turned into Buick of the 2000's. The 3-Series has turned into a bloated, I-drive luxo-boat. The last 3 variations of BMW 3-Series (and a 228i to boot) I've driven have not the brakes, steering, nor dynamic balance that BMW DNA gave you; the ATS does however. Maybe the likes of Cadillac and the new Jag are filling in a niche in the market that some of us still have interest in. I think when most references are to 3-series killer, it's about the drive and not the sales volume. If it is all about sales volume, then BMW as a sales leader sucks, since it only holds about 5% of the US market.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #13
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Well if you want a driver's car the new BMWs are not the place to go. I'm not talking about $75K M-car class cars, but just plain, mildly optioned (i.e. sport package'd), well driving cars. BMW has turned into Buick of the 2000's. The 3-Series has turned into a bloated, I-drive luxo-boat. The last 3 variations of BMW 3-Series (and a 228i to boot) I've driven have not the brakes, steering, nor dynamic balance that BMW DNA gave you; the ATS does however. Maybe the likes of Cadillac and the new Jag are filling in a niche in the market that some of us still have interest in. I think when most references are to 3-series killer, it's about the drive and not the sales volume. If it is all about sales volume, then BMW as a sales leader sucks, since it only holds about 5% of the US market.
People love to use the sales metric to help prove their point that such and such a product is the best. This metric assumes every person is objective in their decision making without bias or perceptions. They went in with an open mind and looked at every car and came to the conclusion that product was the best.

The sales metric ignores image, perception, biases, etc. How many people only consider BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Lexus because of the image of the badge? How many buy an iPhone simply because it's an Apple product? How many will hear the word, " Cadillac" and won't even have to know about their current products and go, " Ewww old person car"?

Just because you are a sales leader does not mean the product itself is the best. You just marketed the badge really well.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2015, 08:14 PM   #14
cloakster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW GLI

I cannot wait to see the performance figures on this. Hopefully will be on par with the ATS.

Looks wise it mostly is like a smaller XF, but the rear looks way too much like the rear of an E90.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 08:09 AM   #15
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post

I have to add some more to your comment. Being an owner of several 3-Series and having extensive driving experience with them since the late 1970's I think what you fail to understand is the Roundel mystique has much to do with sales numbers for the 3-Series. Yeah, it's a good car in the current company it keeps with the Lexus, Benz, Audi, and Infinity. But if you've experienced the downturn in driving experience since the E21 as I have, you'll come to understand that Lexus and Acura had more influence over the 3-Series than those two cars had been influenced by the 3-er. Lexus and Acura brought the "luxury" connotation to the 3-Series class.

The E21 and E30 were far far from luxury vehicles. They were the ultimate driving machines to coin the phrase (they earned that phrase) but had little in the way of luxury (outside of electric door locks and power windows - in the USA versions at least). Neither had adjustable steering wheels, in fact it was BMW's adage at the time that the design of the car was such that the placement of the seat (throughout its adjustment range) in relationship to the steering wheel was such that it dictated the correct driving position. Lexus and Acura have driven the 3-Series to the soft, degraded driver's car that it has become.

It was BMW's engineering principles in the 70's and 80's that the design of the car and the handling dynamics were developed to make you a better driver and a safer driver because the thought of day was to avoid accidents in the first place rather than survive them as an afterfact. It was through design of the greenhouse for excellent visibility, mirror placement for excellent situational awareness, use of the proper color and light temperature of the gauge cluster to avoid eye fatigue, and intuitive design and placement of the controls to lesson distraction from the driving act, and braking and handling to allow for decisive avoidance movements without losing control of the vehicle. It went even so far as to place a clock in front of the driver so as to avoid the need of looking away from the road to read your watch. None of these principles are present in a modern day BMW. Fuck around with the I-drive all you want and hope the airbags save you when the automatic braking and cruise control fail to avoid an accident (caused by your inattentiveness to the act of driving...).
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0