BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-12-2015, 12:16 AM   #1
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

best classic hotrod for weekends and as an investment

Just sold mt present hotrod, a turbocharged Subaru BRZ that was sweet and FAST. I just changed my mind and now want to buy a classic car that will Appreciate over time as I own it instead of losing value with every passing day like my BRZ was.

Detomaso Pantera has always been my all-time favorite car, looking at few, the one with my main interest is a Pantera race car that I'll be putting back to street use, and use for track days and AX. I have to wait til the end of the month to view this car. I live 20 minutes from Sears Point and do track days fairly often.

Most Panteras I see are modified, and range greatly from stock, to totally crazy. Most all are modified, and numbers matching and originality does not seem to matter.

My second choice is a 63-67 corvette. Most that I see are restored to stock and flawless, number matching. I see many super nice versions for sale, many more to choose from.

I see a lot of AC Cobra replicas that seem to be within my price range, just not sure about resale value in 5-10 years.

Then theres always the standards, old Camaros and Mopars, GTO's,, high option musclcars.

Not interested in older Porsches, already went there.

I'm looking in the 60k range, and want a weekend driver that makes me feel good, and won't depreciate over the next 5-10 yerars. Not looking to compare it to investing or keeping the money in the bank, I just want to have a fun, special classic car that I'll get my money back or more if/when I decide to sell it in 5-10 years.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated, or, to put it another way, if you had 60k to spend on a fun weekend driver classic car, what would you buy?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 06:33 AM   #2
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

One of those AC Cobra reps would be my way to go. They are awesome!!!

As far as maintaining value or even gaining value, usually they have to be completely original which means that tracking the car is out of the question. However, I have been noticing that well completed project cars are holding value as well. You can always pick up a nicely built camaro / corvette that can handle track duty but like I said, those cobras are fantastic!!!

I'm sure you know but I mind as well say it, check out
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum.php

My dad built a '67 pro touring camaro that I beat on so I may be a bit biased when it comes to this stuff...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
Back in a Subie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited

Garage List
Morgan 3 Wheeler.

As soon as I saw a photo of the 2011 demo car I was hooked. Deposit placed as soon as the EPA said they could sell them here and I have enjoyed it thoroughly for two seasons now (check my garage on the left for photos of mine). If you just want a cruiser that will put a smile on your face every time that you drive it, and that doesn't need to be too practical, and if you don't plan on needing a track-day-special, the Morgan 3 Wheeler may be worth a look for you.

You get new amenities like disk breaks and fuel injection, but no electronic nannies, or unneeded wheels (lol). Morgan nailed the styling; I have found that if people don't know what it is, they assume that it is an older car, but then again Morgan have been making them for over 106 years now. Morgans have a very high resale value, are completely unique to anything else on the road and are guaranteed to turn heads everywhere you go. Plus, you can get them for under $60k easily.

Last edited by Back in a Subie; 01-13-2015 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
One of those AC Cobra reps would be my way to go. They are awesome!!!

As far as maintaining value or even gaining value, usually they have to be completely original which means that tracking the car is out of the question. However, I have been noticing that well completed project cars are holding value as well. You can always pick up a nicely built camaro / corvette that can handle track duty but like I said, those cobras are fantastic!!!

I'm sure you know but I mind as well say it, check out
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum.php

My dad built a '67 pro touring camaro that I beat on so I may be a bit biased when it comes to this stuff...
ahhhh yes, pro-touring........loved it. I had one of the first '69 Camaro's on there back in the day. God i miss that car.

click here for photos and the sad sucky bullcrap story of what happened to it: http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/2...highlight=sniz

Last edited by Sniz; 01-12-2015 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 06:06 PM   #5
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated, or, to put it another way, if you had 60k to spend on a fun weekend driver classic car, what would you buy?
1997 or 1998 Toyota Supra TT 6-speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
ahhhh yes, pro-touring........loved it. I had one of the first '69 Camaro's on there back in the day. God i miss that car.

click here for photos and the sad sucky bullcrap story of what happened to it: http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/2...highlight=sniz
HOLY SHITTTTTT that is terrible. I'm so sorry to hear about that. My dad built a '67 pro touring camaro track car that I now get to enjoy. I was too young while he was building it but he's so frustrated with the thing from the years of labor (over two decabes) that he enjoys having me drive it more. Maybe its time for you to get back into one! Here's mine

Name:  photo 2.png
Views: 1806
Size:  3.62 MB
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

That's one awesome looking Camaro!

Still looking at Panteras, hoping to check out one in Socal before looking at others and other car models.

Here's a pic of the Pantera I plan to buy at the end of the month, if everything checks out.

And when I say "investment", I mean more like something I can own and enjoy, and not have it lose it's value over time, not necessarily looking at all this as an "invenstment".

I know full well, cars are THE best place to piss good money away, but I love cars and racing and wrenching. I'm a motorhead, what can I say.

As an example, here's what I DON'T want to happen. Last year, I buy a 2013 subaru BRZ for 30, it's slow as molasses so I throw another 20 at it making it into a totally badass track/street beast (turbo, meth injection, Motec, suspension, the works!).
I change my mind and decide now I want a Pantera, and I sell the BRZ all built up, fast kickass beast, only 50000 miles on the car, for 27k. I got exactly half back in one year.

Now, I totally accept all this, I know I was never going to make money or even come close.

This time though, I want to buy a classic, drive it on occasions and maybe a track day, and in 5-10-20 years, when I sell the car, I'll get back hopefully what I bought it for, or maybe even more, HOPING.
Attached Images

Last edited by mike the snake; 01-15-2015 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 06:36 AM   #8
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Get you a real Hot Rod.

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #9
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
A proper hot rod (only a 60k budget might be an issue though)

You'll be struggling to get a decent 63-67 'vette for a 60k budget now.
2-3 years ago, yes, but not now prices have shot back up to pre-recession values.
      01-17-2015, 07:24 PM   #10
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

68-71 GTO
Class and power.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 10:02 PM   #11
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

I had a 68 Goat, factory Hurst 4 speed, hood tach, 400ci engine, it was one of my favorite cars I've owned.

I'm on my way tomorrow morning to pick up my dream car. A new (to me ) 1972 Pantera!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 09:56 PM   #12
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

My new baby sitting in her new home! I think I'm going to name her Snow White.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 07:11 AM   #13
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Awesome!!!!!!

But now you need to update us with your plans to build "Snow White"
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 10:44 PM   #14
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

Snow White, as you know, is already a hot babe, so I'm gonna just take my time, explore her body, get to know her, give it to her real hard occasionally lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 07:50 AM   #15
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Small world, I'm selling my FR-S to jump into a future classic Porsche. I'm buying 997.1 911 C2S manual. I can't walk away from it after speaking with the previous owner. Might not get this opportunity again. Good luck to the OP
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:25 AM   #16
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

My collector friend, who knows his stuff pretty well, actually, the guy who inspired me to sell my BRZ and get my new car, said that the last few obtainable (within reason) classics that were still available were:

1. Sunbeam Tiger

2. Pantera.

3. Any older air cooler Porsche, even the 914's are skyrocketing.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:03 AM   #17
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
I had a 68 Goat, factory Hurst 4 speed, hood tach, 400ci engine, it was one of my favorite cars I've owned.

I'm on my way tomorrow morning to pick up my dream car. A new (to me ) 1972 Pantera!
yea man one of my all time faves along side the AC Cobra
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0