BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

04-17-2009, 11:58 PM   #23
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm5272 View Post
If you do the BMWUSA configuration again - IT appears you get the Sports wheel when you add the inlay option. If you stay with the standard heated steering - you get the normal steering wheel.
Can someone tell me what the difference is besides the two bumps at around 11 and 2 o'clock on the steering? They both have multi functions buttons. Thanks!
The sports steering wheel and individual steering wheel with wood inlay is basically the same (other than the wood inlay and the fact that the individual does not have the heated feature due to the wood inlay). The difference between the sport steering wheel and the standard steering wheel is that the sport steering wheel is thicker and 'feels' nicer in your hands. The outer diameter is the same for all of the steering wheels (as far as I know). All of the steering wheels have the same buttons (depending on the options in your car).
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #24
dm5272
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 750i '09 650i '09 750Li ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein View Post
Does anyone know for sure if the Sports Steering Wheel comes with the 750i Individual Package?
It does if you opt for the wood trim and not heated Steering.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #25
dm5272
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
The sports steering wheel and individual steering wheel with wood inlay is basically the same (other than the wood inlay and the fact that the individual does not have the heated feature due to the wood inlay). The difference between the sport steering wheel and the standard steering wheel is that the sport steering wheel is thicker and 'feels' nicer in your hands. The outer diameter is the same for all of the steering wheels (as far as I know). All of the steering wheels have the same buttons (depending on the options in your car).
Not correct my friend - Check it out. The thicker steering (Sports) also has the bump or hump at the 11 and 2 o clock position on the steering wheel.
Compare the Individual with and without the wood inlay and see the difference. Also, in the bill on my order - the option of wood inlay also added a $500 charge for the sport steering wheel, and it did not tell me, I had to notice it on the price list on the side of the web page.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #26
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not correct my friend - Check it out. The thicker steering (Sports) also has the bump or hump at the 11 and 2 o clock position on the steering wheel.
Compare the Individual with and without the wood inlay and see the difference. Also, in the bill on my order - the option of wood inlay also added a $500 charge for the sport steering wheel, and it did not tell me, I had to notice it on the price list on the side of the web page.
What you are referring to are the standard and individual steering wheels. You are/were comparing the standard steering wheel that the 750 comes with to the individual steering wheel.

The sport and individual steering wheel both have the additional bumps at the 10 and 2 o'clock locations. They both have the same outer diameter and both have roughly the same thickness.

The standard steering wheel on the other hand doesn't have either the bumps at the 10 and 2 o'clock locations and is considerably thinner but retains almost the same outer diameter as the sport and individual steering wheels (I think it may actually be a fraction larger than those other two).

Here are 3 images of the same configuration with the 3 different steering wheels:

Standard Steering Wheel:

Name:  750_Individual_Steering_Wheel_Standard_Dashboard_View_1680.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  111.6 KB

Sport Steering Wheel:

Name:  750_Individual_Steering_Wheel_Sport_Dashboard_View_1680.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  112.1 KB

Individual Steering Wheel:

Name:  750_Individual_Steering_Wheel_Individual_Dashboard_View_1680.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  113.8 KB

As you can see from the above pictures, my previous post was correct
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #27
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Nice looking steering wheel!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 11:31 PM   #28
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotM5 View Post
Nice looking steering wheel!
Which one? There are 3
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 11:55 PM   #29
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, F90 M5C, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Which one? There are 3
I Love the 3rd one

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 12:27 AM   #30
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryouken View Post
I Love the 3rd one
The individual steering wheel does look nice but only with the piano black finish (at least IMHO). I had originally asked for this steering wheel, but when I found out that it does not have the heated feature (due to the wood inlay), I changed my mind and asked for the sport steering wheel instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 01:28 AM   #31
Stein
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I guess I'm just confused because the options for the wheel are different for the 750Li and i.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #32
dm5272
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Ok Xdrive - lt me clear my point, because maybe we are saying the same thing.
  • What I am saying is that you get a regular steering wheel when you order the 750i or li.
  • You get a sports Steering wheel when you add the sports package.

You get a Regular Wheel when you choose the Individual Package with Heated Steering

But if you upgrade to the Wood Trim (obviously once you have the Indv Pkg) - it ALSO upgrades your steering to the Sports Steering.

That is the point I am trying to make. If you do not agree. Your pictures shows that the steering on the wood trimmed steering and the Sports one are the same (aside from the trim)

Also - if you go to the BMWUSA website and build your car - it adds $100 line item aside from the $500 charge for the wood trim. The Addtl $100 charge states "Sports Leather Steering Wheel"

The reason this is critical to know is that if you want the Sports Steering wheel, but you also want the Indv Pkg - This is the ONLY way to get that Steering Wheel (At least in the US - not sure about Canada)!

I hope this help clear what I was trying to say.
Here are the two receipts when you build the car and the line item I was talking about.
Both have Indv Pkg.
First one with heated steering, and the second with option of the Wood Inlay instead. Notice it automatically added and addtl $100 for Sport Steering Wheel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #33
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ok Xdrive - lt me clear my point, because maybe we are saying the same thing.
  • What I am saying is that you get a regular steering wheel when you order the 750i or li.
  • You get a sports Steering wheel when you add the sports package.

You get a Regular Wheel when you choose the Individual Package with Heated Steering

But if you upgrade to the Wood Trim (obviously once you have the Indv Pkg) - it ALSO upgrades your steering to the Sports Steering.

That is the point I am trying to make. If you do not agree. Your pictures shows that the steering on the wood trimmed steering and the Sports one are the same (aside from the trim)

Also - if you go to the BMWUSA website and build your car - it adds $100 line item aside from the $500 charge for the wood trim. The Addtl $100 charge states "Sports Leather Steering Wheel"

The reason this is critical to know is that if you want the Sports Steering wheel, but you also want the Indv Pkg - This is the ONLY way to get that Steering Wheel (At least in the US - not sure about Canada)!

I hope this help clear what I was trying to say.
Here are the two receipts when you build the car and the line item I was talking about.
Both have Indv Pkg.
First one with heated steering, and the second with option of the Wood Inlay instead. Notice it automatically added and addtl $100 for Sport Steering Wheel.
Yep, we are/were saying the same thing and yep, you are correct and yep I was correct too

And you are correct about how the steering wheel options on the US website work.

In Canada, you get the standard steering wheel unless you order the sport package. If you select the individual package, you basically get everything that is included in the sport package (including the sport steering wheel) plus the additional options from the individual package. Once you selected the individual package, you can upgrade to the individual steering wheel if you like (as I posted before, I didn't because I'm not a big fan of the wood inlay).

So I think we worked all of this out now
Appreciate 0