BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

10-12-2016, 08:12 AM   #1
KQF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 730d M Sing Grey, Mocha

7-series security

As I live just outside London I'm thinking about how best to secure my G11 when it arrives on my drive. Anyone bought any aftermarket security locks etc? I was thinking about a steering wheel lock just as an extra deterrent

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 09:05 AM   #2
tyzer
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 730d M-Sport Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQF View Post
As I live just outside London I'm thinking about how best to secure my G11 when it arrives on my drive. Anyone bought any aftermarket security locks etc? I was thinking about a steering wheel lock just as an extra deterrent

Thoughts?
I guess something like this?

http://www.motormania-chelmsford.co.uk/disklok

and bullet proof insurance, no leaving keys downstairs etc
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #3
KQF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyzer View Post
I guess something like this?

http://www.motormania-chelmsford.co.uk/disklok

and bullet proof insurance, no leaving keys downstairs etc
Yeah or the stick one which is easier to store in the car I guess. Is this somethng you have or thinking of getting?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #4
tyzer
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Yeah or the stick one which is easier to store in the car I guess. Is this somethng you have or thinking of getting?
Nope considering like you, I need an underground bunker!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 12:12 PM   #5
KQF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Nope considering like you, I need an underground bunker!
Yeah its back of my mind for now but need to sort something

BTW I always leave keys downstairs not accessible through the postbox or anything but if they get in I'd rather they take keys and run.

The reason being I don't want them going into my kids rooms looking.

Something worth considering maybe mate?

Also I got my last 2 GAP policies through ALA Gap and will be getting this one if that helps?

Any joy with Spotify?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #6
tyzer
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Yeah its back of my mind for now but need to sort something

BTW I always leave keys downstairs not accessible through the postbox or anything but if they get in I'd rather they take keys and run.

The reason being I don't want them going into my kids rooms looking.

Something worth considering maybe mate?

Also I got my last 2 GAP policies through ALA Gap and will be getting this one if that helps?

Any joy with Spotify?
Good point although the dog would have em before they go up the stairs. I got gap as part of the deal because of the delay, but thanks in any case.

Doh yes Spotify, I don't use it but got hold of my girlfriends account and tried it out. All works fine, sounds great, is simple to use (although i'm guessing all the carplay ease of use is down to apple, not BMW).

Do you have any particular questions about how it works or if it does something in particular.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 04:04 AM   #7
KQF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Good point although the dog would have em before they go up the stairs. I got gap as part of the deal because of the delay, but thanks in any case.

Doh yes Spotify, I don't use it but got hold of my girlfriends account and tried it out. All works fine, sounds great, is simple to use (although i'm guessing all the carplay ease of use is down to apple, not BMW).

Do you have any particular questions about how it works or if it does something in particular.
man you got a good dealer I did almost get the last 7 of them about 5 years back but after a test drive I really didnt like the looks or to drive so got a 535d instead

re Spotify don't worry if you don't use it, I wanted to find out if tracks downloaded to the car and you could navigate fully in the idrive (other than just fwd/back) but from your test it works well and I'll find out the rest in time

No dog for me but house is alarmed just want the extra deterrent... will let you know what I get

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 05:14 AM   #8
GhostWorks
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F07 530D SE GT ( 2010/07 )

You could do the following which i have installed in my BMW

1. TRACKSTAR
2. BMW Advanced Car Eye

Trackstar is an advanced tracking for BMW that it will notify if moved etc and track it

BMW advanced car eye is a DVR that connects to the car and records video during driving as well as parked car records movement and if knocked ( car gets bumped during parking ) , this helps if someone bumps you and you have proof
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #9
GhostWorks
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F07 530D SE GT ( 2010/07 )

Plus i have stickers on all 4 door windows saying about been tracked and cameras in place
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #10
tyzer
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
man you got a good dealer I did almost get the last 7 of them about 5 years back but after a test drive I really didnt like the looks or to drive so got a 535d instead

re Spotify don't worry if you don't use it, I wanted to find out if tracks downloaded to the car and you could navigate fully in the idrive (other than just fwd/back) but from your test it works well and I'll find out the rest in time

No dog for me but house is alarmed just want the extra deterrent... will let you know what I get

Thanks
If you get any quotes for security let me know please, especially that trakstar. How is the new car going anyway?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 04:14 AM   #11
KQF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostWorks View Post
You could do the following which i have installed in my BMW

1. TRACKSTAR
2. BMW Advanced Car Eye

Trackstar is an advanced tracking for BMW that it will notify if moved etc and track it

BMW advanced car eye is a DVR that connects to the car and records video during driving as well as parked car records movement and if knocked ( car gets bumped during parking ) , this helps if someone bumps you and you have proof

Thanks, will look into it - I did see something on the car eye, looks like a compact camera stuck on your windscreen so wasn;t sure but not seen trackstar
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 04:19 AM   #12
KQF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you get any quotes for security let me know please, especially that trakstar. How is the new car going anyway?
Will do, the Car eye is about £560 for front and back fitted by a main dealer, but also chatting with a mate who had his X5 taken he put camera's on his house and used a stoplock...

Car is great not had any problems with the size as yet and taking it easy so getting 38-50 mpg depending on if I go on a motorway or not :-)

feels weried not chasing for an update thought

Hows yours? I've put 850 miles on it already- though half that was the collection
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 08:21 AM   #13
tyzer
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Will do, the Car eye is about £560 for front and back fitted by a main dealer, but also chatting with a mate who had his X5 taken he put camera's on his house and used a stoplock...

Car is great not had any problems with the size as yet and taking it easy so getting 38-50 mpg depending on if I go on a motorway or not :-)

feels weried not chasing for an update thought

Hows yours? I've put 850 miles on it already- though half that was the collection
Going good, getting the same mpg as you which i'm happy with, although sport mode and a heavy foot still gets me in bother!

I swapped my mats for wet weather ones, got a great price so was happy with that (ebay). Had to buy a key fob cover as i kept opening the boot from my pocket.

Best experience so far though was a night out on saturday where I drove there and got driven home, sitting in the back, playing with the tablet and all the settings. Jesus its so comfy back there and mines not even a G12.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 04:21 AM   #14
KQF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Going good, getting the same mpg as you which i'm happy with, although sport mode and a heavy foot still gets me in bother!

I swapped my mats for wet weather ones, got a great price so was happy with that (ebay). Had to buy a key fob cover as i kept opening the boot from my pocket.

Best experience so far though was a night out on saturday where I drove there and got driven home, sitting in the back, playing with the tablet and all the settings. Jesus its so comfy back there and mines not even a G12.
Too true it is the most comfy car I've been in

Can you pm me the link for the mats you got - not a bad idea as winter approaches... I'm also thinking about something for the boot.
Appreciate 0