BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

05-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #177
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Nice pics and great that you are getting that kind of fuel economy, well done!

Should have let me know you were down my neck of the woods...Would have met up with you (even for a few minutes) at a services along your route. A stunning day for a jaunt out in the 7...

Safe travels, hope your trip back is as good and pleasant!
      05-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #178
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

That’s really impressive! I’ve worked by calculations on 25mpg (750i), so I might end up being pleasantly surprised
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #179
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Nice pics and great that you are getting that kind of fuel economy, well done!

Should have let me know you were down my neck of the woods...Would have met up with you (even for a few minutes) at a services along your route. A stunning day for a jaunt out in the 7...

Safe travels, hope your trip back is as good and pleasant!
Thanks mate, utter madness at work at the moment so eating into my evenings so not had time to post but it's impressive.

I might end up back that way, not sure but I'll let you know if I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2C View Post
That’s really impressive! I’ve worked by calculations on 25mpg (750i), so I might end up being pleasantly surprised
So basically as I was sat on a motorway for most of the journey I popped it into Eco Pro, cruise control and lane guidance. For almost the whole journey I only had to barely rest my hand on the wheel. I even used the automatic lane change as needed vs doing that myself.

I feel having driven a Tesla with AutoPilot, the BMW system is roughly at the same level. It's got the same kind of areas were it struggles with poorly marked lanes but can instead follow the car ahead. Sometimes when going past an exit but not needing to the car starts to feel like it wants to exit, the Tesla's also do that. Honestly we are a long way from fully driverless cars for all roads but motorways are pretty simple and they've cracked it to a pretty good level that it's far less hassle on a long trip.

Eco Pro was interesting as well, didn't have it in my M5 but it's progressed since my 335d. It managed to keep the car perfectly cool so didn't notice any impact from reduced AC, etc. Probably in a really hot country that's different but doubt you'd notice it here. I did notice the seat coolers weren't as strong but regardless I was perfectly comfortable.

Here's the really interesting and cool bit though. Over the roughly 220 miles in Eco Pro the coasted for around 10 miles of that journey. Likely why the fuel economy is so high but I suspect I'd still get 25mpg odd without it. Anyway with cruise control on with my 335d it would want to keep the exact speed you've set. This car is happy to let it go a little under and over if it means it can coast more. Maybe it's using the GPS data as well to help decide or just how it's programmed but it's really impressive.

Anyway Martin2C if you do a lot of long distance motorway / A mile roads you should easily hit 25mpg in a 750i. I could get around 27mpg in an F10 M5 which with 7 gears was sitting at a higher rpm. I suspect stick it in Eco Pro and take it easy you'll crack the 30mpg mark on a long run.

Again around town it's a different ball game but I've always found as I've upped the engine size on either petrol or diesels it doesn't make much difference to motorway fuel economy. Some but nothing to write home about.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #180
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Really interesting, thanks.

My 535d Touring has done 43.5mpg in its last week, it must have known it was going and what engine it’s replacement has!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #181
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2C View Post
Really interesting, thanks.

My 535d Touring has done 43.5mpg in its last week, it must have known it was going and what engine it’s replacement has!
Does depend on the types of driving you do. All my business trips tend to be hop on an A road / motorway and then sit there until the end. So other than the couple of miles either end as you get to the destination it's all just cruising.

I get far less mpg just using the car for personal needs around the city. Only I'm not that bothered and it's not huge mileage there anyway, a few miles here and there.

Your going to love your 750i. Those 3 litre diesels are really good engines but there's quite a jump in poke you'll find from BMW's petrol V8's
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #182
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Does depend on the types of driving you do. All my business trips tend to be hop on an A road / motorway and then sit there until the end. So other than the couple of miles either end as you get to the destination it's all just cruising.

I get far less mpg just using the car for personal needs around the city. Only I'm not that bothered and it's not huge mileage there anyway, a few miles here and there.

Your going to love your 750i. Those 3 litre diesels are really good engines but there's quite a jump in poke you'll find from BMW's petrol V8's
Yes, it’s definately a step up in performance. I do 25-30,000 miles a year, mainly private, so it did take some man maths to move to a big Petrol!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 11:23 AM   #183
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
FastLaneJB you do realise that we're still waiting to see some interior pics of your lovely beast? Starting to wonder if you've figured out a way to bag some advertising money out of this thread the way you're being so coy with the pics!

C'mon, the dirty diesels have been quite patient but we're going to blow some smoke if we don't get relief soon...

Hope you're still every bit as much in love with the car as when you first got it...you must be through the break in now as well? How is she at full chat?
      06-09-2018, 05:51 AM   #184
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah sorry about the lack of updates. I'm working on a new accessory for the car which has been taking up all my time recently... a new house with a garage big enough to fit the car into. Lol

Yeah the car is run in and has some serious shove at full throttle, as I already knew. It's a great all round car, very relaxing that I don't as often feel the need to really open it up though when opportunity arises, I still do
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 06:28 AM   #185
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Ah sorry about the lack of updates. I'm working on a new accessory for the car which has been taking up all my time recently... a new house with a garage big enough to fit the car into. Lol

Yeah the car is run in and has some serious shove at full throttle, as I already knew. It's a great all round car, very relaxing that I don't as often feel the need to really open it up though when opportunity arises, I still do
Glad you are enjoying it FLJB!

Think you mean you are looking at buying an old factory that works as a garage with a small house addition to it? (to fit the beast?)

Have you upset the neighbours that much already with the 760!!!

Safe travels
      06-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #186
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Just had it washed. Here's a few not great angles but drive isn't that wide and avoiding my number plate off the phone.

I expect the normal bird poop on it within an hour or two... *sigh*
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
chris.t28.00
      06-13-2018, 03:05 AM   #187
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Gorgeous

Can't get enough of that stunning blue. Interior looks great (through the window) and matches nicely as well.

Thanks for posting some new pics...mine's in desperate need of a wash, every time I visit the office I end up with bird droppings on at least 2 panels of the car and tree sap that is dropped at the hotel...not to mention the usual pollen!

At least the weather has been warm and sunny for a change!

Safe travels.