BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

09-28-2023, 07:39 PM   #1
HKgoespewpew
Rep
Drives: 740i

Just finished taking the VCG off. Can anybody tell me if these pictures look bad or if it is normal for a 92k car. Also this white stuff is all over the old gasket but not the new one. Thanks!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 10:34 AM   #2
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Just did a neighbor's N55 yesterday as the cylinder head cover gasket had failed in the typical location, providing a nice oil burning aroma in the cabin, via the HVAC fan.

Your N55 does show some oil drudge buildup, and if this were my engine, after replacing the cylinder head cover gasket, I'd run Lubro Moly engine flush through the engine, and they change the oil, then call it a day.

If you are looking for area's to address, you might want to consider pulling your intake manifold, and address the carbon build up on the intake ports of your cylinder head.

It's obvious that someone tried to seal up the cylinder head cover gasket at some point, and didn't want to spend the $40 or so dollars for a new gasket. Sad. Hopefully you sprang for a new profile gasket.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 10:42 AM   #3
HKgoespewpew
Rep

That one sure looks clean. I just bought the car from an older couple, I’m pretty sure the mainantence they could do themselves was very limited but it was a really good price. I did remove the intake manifold since I was also going to replace the Oil filter housing gasket and the oil cooler gasket. It is covered in carbon. I am trying to look for a shop that can do walnut blasting, is there any other option besides that one I could do?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 11:06 AM   #4
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

There are several techniques on YouTube, obviously some return better results than others.

If "super-clean" is your objective, media (walnut) blasting is sort of your only option.

For me, the solvent and "brush-on-a-drill" would be my method, as removal of gross buildup would be my objective. I'm certain others would have a differing opinion. I've had success in using the Seafoam procedure in between servicing.

Keep up the good work....then post pictures of your 7 before and after you do paint correction
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2023, 05:16 PM   #5
HKgoespewpew
Rep

Thanks!
Appreciate 0