BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

10-25-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

MotorTrend Video: New Audi S8 vs BMW Alpina B7

Yikes!

10-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
335ifanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: Revuelto, Urus Performante, X5

Had a chance to see the S8 a couple weeks ago, amazing interior and performance but the exterior is way too blah. I would have loved if Audi got a bit more aggressive with the design instead of playing it safe.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
Nosferatu
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpina B7

after three consecutive S8's, I am switching to the B7 for more or less the same reasons as stated above (also to try something new). But the head2head test is disconcerting to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
filmoreslim
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i xDrive Sports Wagon

I think they should have tested the SWB xDrive to be fair. Anyone know what the US lease rates (residual/MF) are for the S8? I suspect the B7 is much less to lease.

I'm not surprised by the results, however, I'm not sure how you'd squeeze more out of the N63B44Tu engine...so maybe Alpina is not worth the extra $$$ this year.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Forster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, S54 Mcoupe

I cannot believe the 0-60 & quarter mile figures for that Audi! That is insane! Audi deserves this win but the Bimmer looks so much better IMO
      10-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
filmoreslim
Rep

I watched this a few times. A couple of observations from a 2013 F02 750Li xDrive owner:

not sure why they did not compare a SWB xDrive B7. Probably pulls another 5% off drag times

My car has no throttle response lag whatsoever in sport & sport+ mode

The S8 has launch control...might be something for B7 or M Sport Pkge in the future and certainly drastically affects acceleration times.

Given the advancements of N63B44Tu engine, I'm not sure how Alpina can squeeze that much more out of it

I wonder how the S8 and B7 brakes perform...mine began to get hot after one lap on the Nurburgring

The interior and the exterior of the S8 scream "Buick" to me. Especially the interior, it just looks cheap.

I may test drive one for kicks, it wouldbe interesting to spin one around Nordschleife.

If you have a 2013 B7, please chime in.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmoreslim View Post
I watched this a few times. A couple of observations from a 2013 F02 750Li xDrive owner:

not sure why they did not compare a SWB xDrive B7. Probably pulls another 5% off drag times

The S8 has launch control...might be something for B7 or M Sport Pkge in the future and certainly drastically affects acceleration times.

Given the advancements of N63B44Tu engine, I'm not sure how Alpina can squeeze that much more out of it

I wonder how the S8 and B7 brakes perform...mine began to get hot after one lap on the Nurburgring

The interior and the exterior of the S8 scream "Buick" to me. Especially the interior, it just looks cheap.

I may test drive one for kicks, it wouldbe interesting to spin one around Nordschleife.

This is majorly subjective as taste varies dramatically with the cars in the upper echelon. And, of course, this being a BMW forum the bias runs deep and thick. I don't think either of these cars look proportionally pleasant, to me, from the outside. As for the interior, I've sat in the new S8 as well as an Alpina B7 and i have to say the Audi feels so much better in quality and finish (BUICK it is NOT) if not, maybe, a touch clinical and austere as well. The BMW, like most BMWs, seems just much more simple and "old" if you will but still quite luxurious. It's a comfortable place to be but not as progressive and modern IMHO. Take that with a grain of salt, I suppose, considering the range of demographic that purchase these cars.

Also, as far as I know, the S8 does not have launch control and they both use the same ZF sourced 8-speed Auto (non-Dual Clutch). Of course, the Quatro will give it an advantage off the line..but 3.5 to 60 and an 11.8 for such a heavy hunk of metal? That's a time, not just reserved for super cars but nearing even hyper car territory. Whatever the case, will guys owning these sporty executive saloons get hoodlum on it like these reviewers on the street? Not likely. It sounds a little ridiculous for these cars to be that fast but I have to respect the effort, technology, and passion these companies have to build these things. It's just awesome.

Last edited by TreDirtyFive; 10-27-2012 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
Nosferatu
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpina B7

I priced out both the 2013 S8 and B7. The residuals are miles apart, effectively equalizing the cost to drive the two cars despite the fact that the B7 costs $20k more. residual for 3 years at 12k was 45% for the S8 and 60%(!) for the B7.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
filmoreslim
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmoreslim View Post

This is majorly subjective as taste varies dramatically with the cars in the upper echelon. And, of course, this being a BMW forum the bias runs deep and thick. I don't think either of these cars look proportionally pleasant, to me, from the outside. As for the interior, I've sat in the new S8 as well as an Alpina B7 and i have to say the Audi feels so much better in quality and finish (BUICK it is NOT) if not, maybe, a touch clinical and austere as well. The BMW, like most BMWs, seems just much more simple and "old" if you will but still quite luxurious. It's a comfortable place to be but not as progressive and modern IMHO. Take that with a grain of salt, I suppose, considering the range of demographic that purchase these cars.

Also, as far as I know, the S8 does not have launch control and they both use the same ZF sourced 8-speed Auto (non-Dual Clutch). Of course, the Quatro will give it an advantage off the line..but 3.5 to 60 and an 11.8 for such a heavy hunk of metal? That's a time, not just reserved for super cars but nearing even hyper car territory. Whatever the case, will guys owning these sporty executive saloons get hoodlum on it like these reviewers on the street? Not likely. It sounds a little ridiculous for these cars to be that fast but I have to respect the effort, technology, and passion these companies have to build these things. It's just awesome.
As noted by another guy on another board, for the numbers to be so far off, Audi must have provided a ringer car. Otherwise, why would Audi downplay their numbers so much?
Appreciate 0