BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

03-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Strange Unidentifiable Side View Mirror Glass Problem

When you think you’ve seen it all…

Anyone know what’s going on with my side view mirror glass!?

Strange discoloration and pattern.

Any way for BMW to cover this craziness, albeit out of warranty?

Does not wipe away, as beneath the glass. :|

Thank you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 11:05 PM   #2
machfly
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 750I

My E46 M3 did the same thing. Took a few years, started at the bottom and eventually it crept up and overtook 1/4 to 1/3 of the glass. I eventually replaced them and blamed the cold weather. I had a theory that the mirror heaters degrade the glass, though that was never quantified.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 09:07 AM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by machfly View Post
My E46 M3 did the same thing. Took a few years, started at the bottom and eventually it crept up and overtook 1/4 to 1/3 of the glass. I eventually replaced them and blamed the cold weather. I had a theory that the mirror heaters degrade the glass, though that was never quantified.
Argh. Really? Thanks.

Yours looked the same? Sounds like you replaced both mirrors? They both had this problem?

Truly wrong for this to happen. Mirrors shouldn't 'go bad'.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #4
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Hi everyone,

Hope all is well.

So the car's at the dealer and GEICO MBI is giving me difficulty.

Matter as follows:

Upon drop off I show the shop foreman the mirror and he said a new mirror is needed because the internal heating element failed. GEICO inspection, however, determines the mirror is delaminating because the glue (??) failed and that the dealer agrees (??).

I responded stating there must be a misunderstanding because the dealer told me differently. I was asked if I'd like escalate the matter, in response to which I said I'd like to speak with the dealer to clarify.

After speaking with my service advisor, he agreed with the original assessment of the shop foreman and stated he'll contact GEICO again. Unfortunately, I've since learned that the mirror is still not being covered, no matter a second inspection and escalation to 'senior management'.

Seems like the last question GEICO asked the shop was whether or not the problem impairs visibility, which it doesn't (not at this time, at least), and they've concluded it's cosmetic caused by the elements.

As shown by the prior photos above, there's no damage to the surface or edge of the mirror, and what's happening is below the surface, which appears to be an organic, lattice, bubbling shaped pattern with an oil-like stain surrounding same (the bubbles and oil-like stain being the heating element, presumably).

Furthermore, I googled mirror delamination and corrosion and came up with the other additional photos below, which don't look like what's happening to my mirror, as they appear to be more of a 'tarnishing' or 'discoloration' (where the silver of the mirror is exposed to air due to delamination and corrodes). I've shown all to both the dealer and GEICO already.

I asked the dealer if they can test whether or not the heating or dimming features of the mirror work and I'm getting push back, stating GEICO has denied the claim and if I want a new mirror I'll have to pay out of pocket! Dealer could care less now, which I'm displeased with, as I have a $250 deductible for this visit that should be covering this as well.

Anyone have additional insight on how I might go about getting GEICO to cover? Any easy way I can test heating and dimming myself upon service completion? Customer shouldn't have to go to these lengths, but such is BMW ownership.

Thank you. :|
Attached Images

Appreciate 0