BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

06-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Plasti Dipped Grills and Trims

Hello 7ers. I got sick of looking at my chrome grills and bumper trims, so I Plasti Dipped them matt black. I pulled the grills out, since it's easy. I left the bumper trims on, just tape off less than an inch away where I wanted the Plasti Dip to break.

I sprayed the first coat lightly, with about 50-60% transparency. I sprayed coats 2-5 a bit thicker, covering different angles. Leaving 20min between coats for the Plasti Dip to level and breathe. After the 5th coat, I allowed 20min for it to dry then peel off the masking tapes and excess Plasti Dip around the bumper trims. I snapped the grills back in place.

The end result is flawless. After 2k miles being on the road, rock chips and bugs haven't done any harm to the Plasti Dipped grills and trims. Best $6 I ever spent at Home Depot. More dipping to come on the rest of the trim pieces. I hope you find this post helpful.

If you're curious about the lights, I'm running mTEC V2 LED Angel Eyes and mTEC Golden Style fogs (Standard 35w H8). Got them from mTEC Lighting USA. Still love the setup.

(Looking for wheels and suspension sponsor)
Attached Images

Last edited by JNoSol; 06-17-2013 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
plaid63
Rep
Drives: none yet

Looking at 7ers all day and not owning one yet is pure torture,but that plastidip is nice
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid63 View Post
Looking at 7ers all day and not owning one yet is pure torture,but that plastidip is nice
Thanks Plaid. You should get a 7, it's worth every penny.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
335ifanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: Revuelto, Urus Performante, X5

After seeing your pictures I decided to dip the chrome trim on the front bumper, I never liked it and it looks much cleaner going all black.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
MKBMF01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750i f01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Hello 7ers. I got sick of looking at my chrome grills and bumper trims, so I Plasti Dipped them matt black. I pulled the grills out, since it's easy. I left the bumper trims on, just tape off less than an inch away where I wanted the Plasti Dip to break.

I sprayed the first coat lightly, with about 50-60% transparency. I sprayed coats 2-5 a bit thicker, covering different angles. Leaving 20min between coats for the Plasti Dip to level and breathe. After the 5th coat, I allowed 20min for it to dry then peel off the masking tapes and excess Plasti Dip around the bumper trims. I snapped the grills back in place.

The end result is flawless. After 2k miles being on the road, rock chips and bugs haven't done any harm to the Plasti Dipped grills and trims. Best $6 I ever spent at Home Depot. More dipping to come on the rest of the trim pieces. I hope you find this post helpful.

If you're curious about the lights, I'm running mTEC V2 LED Angel Eyes and mTEC Golden Style fogs (Standard 35w H8). Got them from mTEC Lighting USA. Still love the setup.

(Looking for wheels and suspension sponsor)
Dip the wheels and side markers including reflectors , i have seen them dipped, they look really nice!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ifanatic View Post
After seeing your pictures I decided to dip the chrome trim on the front bumper, I never liked it and it looks much cleaner going all black.
Awesome. To prep the chrome surfaces, I just wipe the pieces down with alcohol. To remove the grills, losen all the star screws on top of the bumper. Bend the bumper away from the car, use a flat head screw driver to pop the top and side clips of the grills (you'll need help). Once the the top and side clips are popped out, just yank the grill out with force (it's too difficult to pop the bottom clips, you're not going to hurt it). Post some pics once you're done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKBMF01 View Post
Dip the wheels and side markers including reflectors , i have seen them dipped, they look really nice!
I plan on doing the rest of the trims, but not the wheels. Plasti Dip surface has a lot of pores, so when it's raining the surface will hold a lot of water. This means that the wheels will get wet unevenly, causing vibrating on wet days. This is fact tested by many of my friends who have plasti dipped their wheels, maybe glossifier will help with the water issues.

Last edited by JNoSol; 06-17-2013 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
gsc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche Turbo

Quote:
Awesome. To prep the chrome surfaces, I just wipe the pieces down with alcohol. To remove the grills, losen all the star screws on top of the bumper. Bend the bumper away from the car, use a flat head screw driver to pop the top and side clips of the grills (you'll need help). Once the the top and side clips are popped out, just yank the grill out with force (it's too difficult to pop the bottom clips, you're not going to hurt it). Post some pics once you're done.

I plan on doing the rest of the trims, but not the wheels. Plasti Dip surface has a lot of pores, so when it's raining the surface will hold a lot of water. This means that the wheels will get wet unevenly, causing vibrating on wet days. This is fact tested by many of my friends who have plasti dipped their wheels, maybe glossifier will help with the water issues.
Does the dip come off easy?>
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc View Post
Does the dip come off easy?>
Plasti Dip is tough. It will hold up to rock chips, bugs, pressue car washes, and weather. It will only come off it you intentionally peel it off.

Preparation with alcohol and a light first coat is crucial. Just follow my instruction above and it should last.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
335aj
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: beemer n benz

Looks good! Its soo much easier to just remove the grills from the bumper rather than masking... I did mine, looks sweet! I also did the rear diffuser...
      06-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335aj View Post
Looks good! Its soo much easier to just remove the grills from the bumper rather than masking... I did mine, looks sweet! I also did the rear diffuser...
Post them pics up.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
Doktor Valter
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Angel eyes

I spent a lot of money for angel eyes different options testing of bulbs and leds; actually I have on my 7 Letronix leds. it seems from JNoSol photos that mTEC V2 LED Angel Eyes are much brighter. Can you please add a frontal view with only daylight swith on?
thank you and best regards Valter
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
gsc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche Turbo

Quote:
Plasti Dip is tough. It will hold up to rock chips, bugs, pressue car washes, and weather. It will only come off it you intentionally peel it off.

Preparation with alcohol and a light first coat is crucial. Just follow my instruction above and it should last.
My car is leased so when I return it, I would want a way to remove the dip. Is it pretty simple to return the black to chrome?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsc View Post
My car is leased so when I return it, I would want a way to remove the dip. Is it pretty simple to return the black to chrome?
Yes, very easy to peel off. There are tons of youtube vids out there about Plasti Dip.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktor Valter View Post
I spent a lot of money for angel eyes different options testing of bulbs and leds; actually I have on my 7 Letronix leds. it seems from JNoSol photos that mTEC V2 LED Angel Eyes are much brighter. Can you please add a frontal view with only daylight swith on?
thank you and best regards Valter
Here's a close up with direct light. mTEC V2 is the way to go. No error. I'll post recent photos once I have time.
Attached Images

Last edited by JNoSol; 06-19-2013 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #15
Anon007
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Nice work! Looks good
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #16
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDCarton View Post
Nice work! Looks good
Thank you, sir.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #17
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I traded my 7 last year and forgot to give you guys an update on Plastidip. It didn't hold up after a year. Rock chips everywhere. I decided to remove it before trading it in. It took a whole can of WD-40 and $5 at the pressure car wash to get that crap off. I would never touch another can of PlastiDip again. Just buy black trims/grills or get them painted.

Who's ready for the G11?

Last edited by JNoSol; 06-17-2015 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0