BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

02-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
JonG
Registered
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS430

New Purchase

I own a Lexus LS430, and I am seriously considering trading for a new 750x or 750Lix. Besides the extra room in the rear on the Li, what is the difference, if any, in how each one handles compared to the other? Also, I would likely prefer to stay with the 18 inch all-season tires so that I do not have to change them every 6 months. Does that fact change the answer to my above question. Thank you. I am brand new to this website.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
Jimmyz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 or Audi S5 (soon!)

I believe both the Li xdrive and i xdrive come with the same 18 inch all season tires. The only difference between the i and the li is:
5 inches of extra leg room in rear
rear vanity mirrors
optional rear luxury seating pack

As a shorter car, the i handles better than the li, but there is not a huge difference. If you don't need the added rear seat legroom and don't want to pay for the luxury rear seating pack, then I would get the i, although I believe the li has a better resale value, percentage wise, because it is generally in more demand, although I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
nd750
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750xi

I think you'd have to drive them both. I've had long wheel base cars, and I've never said to myself "I wish there was less rear legroom" but then I have 2 kids.......
2007 Porsche Cayman S Turbo
2006 Land Cruiser
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
JonG
Registered
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS430

Thank you both for your replies. Another question, does the gear shift lever, now located on the console, get in the way of the i-drive controller and associated buttons? Also, what is the difference in the ride quality with 18 inch v. 19 inch tires in both the long and short-wheel versions of the 750?

Last edited by JonG; 02-05-2010 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: one of my previous questions went unanswered
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonG View Post
Thank you both for your replies. Another question, does the gear shift lever, now located on the console, get in the way of the i-drive controller and associated buttons? Also, what is the difference in the ride quality with 18 inch v. 19 inch tires in both the long and short-wheel versions of the 750?
The gear shift lever does not get into the way of the iDrive controller. Once you sit in the driver seat, the locations of both the gear shift lever and the iDrive controller are well placed. Go to your nearest dealer and at least sit in a 750 and you'll see.

I was quite surprised about the smooth ride quality of the 20" summer performance tires I got when I picked up my car. I was especially pleased with the 20" tires after I had my dealership put the 18" winter tires on the car. The ride is pretty much the same!

But again, the best thing to do would be to go to your nearest dealership and test drive different cars (if they have one with 18" and 19" tires...).
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
jasonrhcastle
BMW fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Cayenne Turbo

How is the drive of the X model vs the non X? I would love to get a 750ix for my wife this winter, but am concerned about the driving characteristics without ARS. Any opinions?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonrhcastle View Post
How is the drive of the X model vs the non X? I would love to get a 750ix for my wife this winter, but am concerned about the driving characteristics without ARS. Any opinions?
ARS? do you mean IAS?

I wanted an xDrive but when I placed my order (back in Feb 09), the xDrive wasn't even announced. I would take the xDrive over the standard anyday, even if it means I have to give up the IAS! I do have to say that I love IAS though and would miss it very much. Every time I do a U turn or other small space maneuver (like in parking lots), it amazes me how little room the car needs to turn! IAS reduces the turning circle by about 2ft (60 cm)! I also like the way it helps the car move from one lane into another at higher speeds (62mph+ / 100km/h+).

Anyways, as I said before, I would pick the xDrive over the rear-wheel drive version. xDrive models do tend to consume more gas, but I think that is a small trade-off for all the benefits it provides!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0