BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Google Pixel

Making a jump after being in bed with Samsung for years. Preordered the 128gb Pixel...which I should have on Thursday. Been a Samsung guy / Android fan for a while...having an S3, S4, Note4, Tab2, and my current Note Edge. Happy to hear that my Gear S2 should work with the new phone....

Needless, going with a smaller one, not the XL...as the Note Edge is just too large for what I need. From what I understand, HTC is the actual manufacture and will operate on the latest OS on release (which, no other phone will have (unless rooted) till later this year)

So...anyone else do the preorder, or am I alone on this one?
      10-17-2016, 12:03 PM   #2
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Seriously considering it ... my employer will buy the hardware for me, but my carrier will use a new phone as an excuse to kill my package (which is partially employer reimbursed).

I do like my current phone a fair bit (BlackBerry Priv) but I think Google has nailed this particular phone and it's a compelling product.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

I preordered one (32GB non-XL), and I ordered the Project Fi SIM card with it too. Verizon and my current iPhone 6 have been good to me service-wise but I figure why not try Project Fi with the phone I wanna upgrade with.

ShopVac You said Thursday? My order from Google projects it coming in 26-28 Oct.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
kpeng
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport + E30 Super ETA

Buying one...I can write it off for my business.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #5
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

I pre-ordered too. I have always been a nexus fan but the camera was always lacking. I make the jump from my nexus 6p to s7 edge because I just could not stand the camera anymore. Camera aside everything about the s7 edge was far behind the nexus 6p. It was slower, battery didn't last as long, the finger print sensor was not as accurate or responsive and a few other small things.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #6
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: when car isn't broke.

Now, no. Later, yes.

I currently have a Nexus 5X on Fi and a 1st gen Moto X before that.

So if it wasn't clear, I really like how Google does stock Android and their support. Both of those phones are incredible values too. But the Pixel just isn't worth it over the 5X right now, in my opinion.

It's cool and is rocking some serious flagship-level hardware, but it's over 3x the cost of the phone it's replacing.

That said, this time next year I'll be looking to replace the 5X and the Pixel is at the top of the list, so long as the prices drop similarly after release.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #7
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
I preordered one (32GB non-XL), and I ordered the Project Fi SIM card with it too. Verizon and my current iPhone 6 have been good to me service-wise but I figure why not try Project Fi with the phone I wanna upgrade with.

ShopVac You said Thursday? My order from Google projects it coming in 26-28 Oct.
So...guessing it's a carrier thing. Verizon said their release date was the 20th...which it is to be mailed out on the 19th for the 20th arrival.

With that, Verizon does not participate in Project Fi...so I can't do that.
      10-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #8
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

The Priv is awesome, has everything i'll ever need including physical keys and a big arse screen.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #9
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

I preordered a 128GB XL, but it looks like it won't ship until the latter part of November. I have a Nexus 6P that's by far the best phone I've ever had (I've had iPhones and every Galaxy from the S2 to the S6), I'm sure the Pixel will be even better. Samsung started locking their phones down too much, I like how open the Google phones are.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 09:54 AM   #10
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

It's an HTC phone with basically no new features, not waterproof, not cheap at all, and looks like an iPhone.

Not sure if it's anything to be that excited about.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #11
Beartato
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
It's an HTC phone with basically no new features, not waterproof, not cheap at all, and looks like an iPhone.

Isn't that basically true for any smart phone that's came out in the last few years? You buy a Pixel not for any new gimmicks or flashy design, but for solid hardware and the knowledge this is Google's hardware standard for Android releases in the near feature. Project Fi is a bonus too if you're into that kind of stuff.

I do wish it was IP67 (dust and waterproof), but it's IP53 (dust and splash resistant).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 12:16 PM   #12
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:

Which phone over the past 5 years has had a breakthrough feature?

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #13
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:

We know you hate Android (especially Samsung) and love your iPhone 7. We're glad you're happy, but for those of us who have no interest in Apple's ecosystem ... this is a pretty compelling product.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 12:45 PM   #14
MetsFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 G37x

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I've had my S4 Google edition for 3.5 years now. I'm not quite ready to upgrade, but the pixel is definitely a top runner.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #15
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
We know you hate Android (especially Samsung) and love your iPhone 7. We're glad you're happy, but for those of us who have no interest in Apple's ecosystem ... this is a pretty compelling product.
Tell me one thing compelling about it. It's better than Samsung? It's not waterproof either...pretty standard with new phones of today. It doesn't look cool/different and is WAY too expensive to compete given its 0 appeal in innovation.

I don't own an iPhone and haven't since the 3G. I have a Note 5 that is currently garbage. Well, at least I didn't have a Note 7.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 01:51 PM   #16
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harambe View Post
Which phone over the past 5 years has had a breakthrough feature?
My point exactly. What would make me want to switch to the HTC Pixel when it does nothing new and actually lacks the most innovative feature (waterproofing) of mainstream phones?

The optical zoom on iPhone 7 Plus is pretty decent, optical image stabilization (that actually works), the crazy speed (A10 Fusion), and waterproofing on both Samsung and iPhones have been decent innovations. I am on record saying the current form factor works and you're not going to get a lot of "innovation" until the next frontier (whatever that is).

At least Nexus was a little cheaper. These Pixels aren't cheap and don't have any new features.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #17
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Tell me one thing compelling about it. It's better than Samsung? It's not waterproof either...pretty standard with new phones of today. It doesn't look cool/different and is WAY too expensive to compete given its 0 appeal in innovation.

I don't own an iPhone and haven't since the 3G. I have a Note 5 that is currently garbage. Well, at least I didn't have a Note 7.
I thought I saw some posts from you in the iPhone 7 thread about how fast the phone is and it seemed personal observation. If I recall incorrectly, then you don't own an iPhone 7 and clearly can't love it.

Agreed that the Pixel is expensive and if it wasn't going into my perq package I wouldn't be considering it. However, since I have to spend money on new hardware, this is the first phone that actually grabs my attention.

Things that appeal to me: vanilla Android experience (yes, I know the same's true of Nexus); camera (first reviews are placing it as the equal of the iPhone 7 Plus and the S7 or slightly better); Google Assistant (first non-MS AI that actually measures up to Cortana); flagship hardware (not alone, but for this price point a requirement); and the size of the Pixel seems the perfect balance for one-handed use. In of itself, nothing compelling perhaps, but combined ... hard pressed to think of a phone that would be better.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #18
Beartato
Major
Rep

...don't forget about Project Fi. The Nexus phones have access too but compared to the Pixel it's not much of a comparison.

I think it's funny how the same criticisms that were levied at the iPhone (pre-7) are now being applied to the Pixel.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 04:50 PM   #19
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
...don't forget about Project Fi. The Nexus phones have access too but compared to the Pixel it's not much of a comparison.

I think it's funny how the same criticisms that were levied at the iPhone (pre-7) are now being applied to the Pixel.
I think it's funny that Google pretty much made an iPhone 7 and 7+. Minus the waterproofing and good IS camera system.

I saw a review of it (the verge i think) and much of their praise for the Pixel was about how Google can control the hardware AND the software. Something that was meaningless to Android users until Google has the chance to do it. As he went thought the features it seemed as if he were describing the iPhone 7. Especially since it looks just like one. It's pretty clear which phone Google though it best to emulate in terms of looks and features.

Anyhow, marketing is a hell of a thing. I for one am glad Google is in the market. Their presence is sure to spur on some fantastic new tech advancements. In my mind, we'll likely see those advancements in terms of user interface sophistication. Things beginning to function more smoothly. Being seamlessly integrated into our tech hungry lives.

Project Fi is intriguing, it'll be interesting to see how that plays out with carriers.
      10-18-2016, 06:49 PM   #20
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
My point exactly. What would make me want to switch to the HTC Pixel when it does nothing new and actually lacks the most innovative feature (waterproofing) of mainstream phones?

The optical zoom on iPhone 7 Plus is pretty decent, optical image stabilization (that actually works), the crazy speed (A10 Fusion), and waterproofing on both Samsung and iPhones have been decent innovations. I am on record saying the current form factor works and you're not going to get a lot of "innovation" until the next frontier (whatever that is).

At least Nexus was a little cheaper. These Pixels aren't cheap and don't have any new features.
Totally agree. I have an iPhone 7 plus, its awesome. It doesn't do the most, but for what it does, it does it the best.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #21
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: when car isn't broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Project Fi is intriguing, it'll be interesting to see how that plays out with carriers.
It's pretty great. I was on republic before this, which Fi based it's business model on, and Google improved on everything that it lacked.

The no contract thing obviously only matters if you switch service providers, which is hard to advertise as a positive, but it really was reassuring to know that I could at any time decide to leave and have new service within 24 hours. Which I did.

The price is great, I pay $30ish a month.

If you like your iPhone, or are grandfathered on a sweetheart data plan on a contract provider, then it isn't for you. Otherwise, I think it deserves consideration.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      10-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #22
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
I thought I saw some posts from you in the iPhone 7 thread about how fast the phone is and it seemed personal observation. If I recall incorrectly, then you don't own an iPhone 7 and clearly can't love it.

Agreed that the Pixel is expensive and if it wasn't going into my perq package I wouldn't be considering it. However, since I have to spend money on new hardware, this is the first phone that actually grabs my attention.

Things that appeal to me: vanilla Android experience (yes, I know the same's true of Nexus); camera (first reviews are placing it as the equal of the iPhone 7 Plus and the S7 or slightly better); Google Assistant (first non-MS AI that actually measures up to Cortana); flagship hardware (not alone, but for this price point a requirement); and the size of the Pixel seems the perfect balance for one-handed use. In of itself, nothing compelling perhaps, but combined ... hard pressed to think of a phone that would be better.
The iPhone 7 is definitely faster and has the best hardware of any phone. Its benchmark scores are crazy and real life performance is always the best.
Appreciate 0