BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-21-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
paul.j.ghosh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M760i xDrive

steering wheel shift

The steering wheel in my car shifts down by about a millimeter when pulled towards me and downwards after starting. I can reproduce it after the steering wheel goes through the cycle of going up and then coming back down achieved by stopping car, opening door to raise steering wheel, closing door, and starting car again to lower steering wheel. Can some of you check to see if it is happening in your car as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.j.ghosh View Post
The steering wheel in my car shifts down by about a millimeter when pulled towards me and downwards after starting. I can reproduce it after the steering wheel goes through the cycle of going up and then coming back down achieved by stopping car, opening door to raise steering wheel, closing door, and starting car again to lower steering wheel. Can some of you check to see if it is happening in your car as well?
So you mean it has some free play in it when the car is drive ready (started and ready to go, so in its memory position you set?)

I'll try that tomorrow and come back to you, but I don't remember any play (movement of a mm even in any direction) when driving off...

Are you having to pull quite forcibly to get this movement or is it just from gripping the wheel? Are you at any of the limits of the range of motion in the wheel by chance? (so extended all the way or up all the way, etc...just to try to replicate the situation).
      03-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
Llewelyn
Rep
Drives: G11 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
So you mean it has some free play in it when the car is drive ready (started and ready to go, so in its memory position you set?)

I'll try that tomorrow and come back to you, but I don't remember any play (movement of a mm even in any direction) when driving off...

Are you having to pull quite forcibly to get this movement or is it just from gripping the wheel? Are you at any of the limits of the range of motion in the wheel by chance? (so extended all the way or up all the way, etc...just to try to replicate the situation).
Base on my understanding it might means the steering wheel memory position goes down 1 mm every time he stop/start the car. After enough times of trying, the steering wheel might ended up down to the bottom position with out any adjustment. I never experience this kind of problem with my car over a year of ownership and driving on day-to-day basis.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Base on my understanding it might means the steering wheel memory position goes down 1 mm every time he stop/start the car. After enough times of trying, the steering wheel might ended up down to the bottom position with out any adjustment. I never experience this kind of problem with my car over a year of ownership and driving on day-to-day basis.
Ah, thanks, no, agree, mine stays where the memory position is and doesn't 'wander' in any direction over time. That would be annoying, something to get BMW to sort/look at as not normal for sure!

Thanks for the clarification Llewelyn. ^
      03-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #5
paul.j.ghosh
Private First Class
Rep

It is a distinct movement as in there is play or a settling of the steering wheel after it has reached it's programmed position. It only happens once after every cycle of steering wheel going up and then coming down upon starting. So, start the car, slightly pull steering wheel towards you and downwards and you will feel a shift of about a millimeter and then it stays put if you were to drive my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It is a distinct movement as in there is play or a settling of the steering wheel after it has reached it's programmed position. It only happens once after every cycle of steering wheel going up and then coming down upon starting. So, start the car, slightly pull steering wheel towards you and downwards and you will feel a shift of about a millimeter and then it stays put if you were to drive my car.
Interesting, haven't noticed that on mine but I'll check in the morning to be sure and let you know (for another data point).

Hope you get it resolved whatever the reason, to your satisfaction. Have you talked to your dealer about it?
      03-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #7
paul.j.ghosh
Private First Class
Rep

Dealer wants to check other cars but did not have any onsite when I was there.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #8
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
I don't understand. Why are you pulling on the steering wheel at all? It is not a manual adjust steering wheel. Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:30 PM   #9
paul.j.ghosh
Private First Class
Rep

I intentionally pull to feel the give. If I don't pull then I will feel it perhaps as I am turning the wheel or repositioning my hands or using the steering wheel as support to shift myself in the seat or ....
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #10
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Took me a bit longer than anticipated but I've finally been out in the car and given it a try to see if there is any play...none.

I've used more force than I would normally ever put on the wheel as well and nothing in terms of play or movement.

Hope that helps as a data point paul.j.ghosh

Safe travels and hope you get it sorted.
      04-27-2018, 02:22 PM   #11
paul.j.ghosh
Private First Class
Rep

Dealer replaced entire steering column.
Appreciate 0