BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-16-2018, 04:39 PM   #331
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
I cannot join into this that much with sound, I'm not that fussy with it to be honest though got a nice ATMOS setup for the living room recently for movies which is really nice. However when I say nice, it's probably a fraction of the cost your shelling out here.

On another note, that's a lot of ethernet in your rack 325_bucks . Are even your toilets IoT enabled? Hehe
The ATMOS setup is nice. ^ I'm a music fan but not movie or surround person so lucky I know what ATMOS was! We'll let tyzer and 325_bucks geek out...That rack did make me smile though too...

IoT...he's got loo roll automatically ordered and delivered from Tescos when it drops below an infra-red sensor!

Does look like a seriously wired up house...nice rack. (I usually say that to women! )
      03-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #332
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

You can never have too much cat6! Not all is used for switched data, the rest are point to point links
For things like HDover Cat6 and so on. Got at least 4 points in most rooms. When we rewired the house it made sense to future proof
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #333
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
You can never have too much cat6! Not all is used for switched data, the rest are point to point links
For things like HDover Cat6 and so on. Got at least 4 points in most rooms. When we rewired the house it made sense to future proof
Yeah I fully agree with that. Could do with more in my house for sure, just getting it in neatly is an utter pain and we don't need to rewire the house so will make do with what I've got.

Ideally at some point when we move again, get a new build that isn't finished yet so they can get all the cables I want in all the rooms from the get go.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 03:12 AM   #334
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
325_bucks how are you getting on with yours? Did you enjoy the motorway blast after all or did the snow cut that short?

What were your thoughts on the 6 v 7 in snow (if you used both recently in the snow?)

I've been cursing you silently a bit of late as I've been listening a bit more critically of the HK system and do now hear much more fuzziness in the bass than I had before, will have to see if it is in all music styles! (as I don't hear the high frequencies as much any more they are less of an issue for me, so can't hear any issues there)...

Have you had it detailed yet or have you held off due to the snow/salt?

Would be great to see some pics of the detailed car! Hope you are getting on well and over the cold.
      03-21-2018, 04:42 AM   #335
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

well I didn't manage to do the road trip, the wife had a bit of a medical issue baby related (but everything is fine) so I wanted to stay at home. Now the car is with the detailer, since Monday. I will be getting it back tomorrow so will finally manage to get some pictures up.

I didn't really use the 7 in the snow much, but when I did, it seems that it was able to grip slightly better than the 6 I reckon.

Its a bit annoying that as soon as it's detailed, it will get dirty with salt and so on, but I am mainly getting it done to protect it and make it easier to clean, so at least the dirt will be easy to get off! And because I have to park under a tree, the sap and bird poo won't damage the paint
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 05:36 AM   #336
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
well I didn't manage to do the road trip, the wife had a bit of a medical issue baby related (but everything is fine) so I wanted to stay at home. Now the car is with the detailer, since Monday. I will be getting it back tomorrow so will finally manage to get some pictures up.

I didn't really use the 7 in the snow much, but when I did, it seems that it was able to grip slightly better than the 6 I reckon.

Its a bit annoying that as soon as it's detailed, it will get dirty with salt and so on, but I am mainly getting it done to protect it and make it easier to clean, so at least the dirt will be easy to get off! And because I have to park under a tree, the sap and bird poo won't damage the paint
Glad to hear everything is okay with your wife and baby. ^

As you say, at least the car will be protected then, even if it gets dirty fairly quickly and be easier to clean, know what you mean about trees, there are two areas I have to park often when I am in the office and invariably the tree drops sap or the bloody birds use it for target practise....Although they do seem to like dark coloured cars better from anecdotal evidence in our company so watch out!

Good to hear the 7 seemed a bit better in snow, maybe just the latest software for all the driving aids/traction controls have been improved slightly? In any case good to hear. Hope you are still very happy with it and your choice. ^

Safe travels, would be great if you do get some pictures to see her in all her glory and done up and have time. ^
      03-21-2018, 06:59 AM   #337
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
As you say, at least the car will be protected then, even if it gets dirty fairly quickly and be easier to clean, know what you mean about trees, there are two areas I have to park often when I am in the office and invariably the tree drops sap or the bloody birds use it for target practise....Although they do seem to like dark coloured cars better from anecdotal evidence in our company so watch out!
To be honest of the colours I've had blue is the worst for this only I just love blue...

Quote:
Good to hear the 7 seemed a bit better in snow, maybe just the latest software for all the driving aids/traction controls have been improved slightly? In any case good to hear. Hope you are still very happy with it and your choice. ^
Might just be the tyres though. What did the car come fitted with? I think the ML760Li comes with performance tyres like Super Sport 4S so it grips really well in the summer but not ideal at all for snow grip.

Quote:
Safe travels, would be great if you do get some pictures to see her in all her glory and done up and have time. ^
Indeed, looking forward to some pics and observations once you've had time to gather them.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 07:05 AM   #338
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

I had super sport 4S on my 6 after doing a lot of research. They are amazing tyres, probably the best I’ve ever had, the dry grip was amazing of course but the wet grip was superb for a summer tyre. The snow grip probably wasn’t up to much but I still felt it was better than the RFTs that the car came with
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #339
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I had super sport 4S on my 6 after doing a lot of research. They are amazing tyres, probably the best I’ve ever had, the dry grip was amazing of course but the wet grip was superb for a summer tyre. The snow grip probably wasn’t up to much but I still felt it was better than the RFTs that the car came with
Yeah I've got the original Super Sports on my M5, the generation before the 4S came out. In the summer they grip extremely well and can handle the power of the M5 pretty good. However I'd say when it drops below roughly 7C even when it's dry they really do then start to struggle to put the power down usefully at all.

One of those things where you need to have summer and winter tyres but just happy to be going 4 wheel drive which solves those kind of issues much better.

Look at the temps though currently, weekend was freezing and with snow so ideal for winter tyres and pointless for my Super Sports (Didn't go anywhere). Then today it's now 10.5C plus dry and my Super Sports are gripping extremely well. Probably warm enough that winters aren't a great choice. You'd need to be changing the wheels over a couple of times a week the way the weather is currently.

I blame Pelo Cat . He's so busy posting on these forums he's neglecting his mastery of the weather
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #340
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I've got the original Super Sports on my M5, the generation before the 4S came out. In the summer they grip extremely well and can handle the power of the M5 pretty good. However I'd say when it drops below roughly 7C even when it's dry they really do then start to struggle to put the power down usefully at all.

One of those things where you need to have summer and winter tyres but just happy to be going 4 wheel drive which solves those kind of issues much better.

Look at the temps though currently, weekend was freezing and with snow so ideal for winter tyres and pointless for my Super Sports (Didn't go anywhere). Then today it's now 10.5C plus dry and my Super Sports are gripping extremely well. Probably warm enough that winters aren't a great choice. You'd need to be changing the wheels over a couple of times a week the way the weather is currently.

I blame Pelo Cat . He's so busy posting on these forums he's neglecting his mastery of the weather
Yeah I'm putting my money on the fact that the phase for winter tyres has passed this year, a few weeks late but finally gone. I will look to buy some cheap BMW winter wheels "Off season" before the cold returns.

Or maybe stick winters on these and bump up to some 20s for summer
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 10:47 AM   #341
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I'm putting my money on the fact that the phase for winter tyres has passed this year, a few weeks late but finally gone. I will look to buy some cheap BMW winter wheels "Off season" before the cold returns.

What tyres did they ship it out to you on?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 10:56 AM   #342
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What tyres did they ship it out to you on?
can't remember, will have to check when I get it back from the detailers. I have a feeling it was Bridgestones but don't know which ones
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #343
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Agree, don’t you have 19” alloys 325_bucks ? I’m only looking for a different set of alloys as I find the 18” too small generally, if I had 19s I’d likely just swap tires and use one set of rims only. As I’m on the poor mans rims, want to really change it up hence considering 20 or 21 for summers...may find them too harsh or terrible for fuel consumption so might regret the bigger size...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 03:02 PM   #344
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually I've been doing my damnedest to ensure your car doesn't get to you...we'll never hear the end of it once you have that baby...been keeping me up most nights doing the rain/snow/wind dances!

325_bucks did you buy a boot liner in the end?
      03-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #345
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Actually I've been doing my damnedest to ensure your car doesn't get to you...we'll never hear the end of it once you have that baby...been keeping me up most nights doing the rain/snow/wind dances!

325_bucks did you buy a boot liner in the end?
I did, in the end I decided to go official and I got the bmw liner and I got the bmw sill protector. Arrived today actually so I haven’t got the car yet to fit them but i spent so long looking that in the end I just went bmw. I got the liner discounted through the dealer I use for discounts and I got the protector for a bmw dealer on eBay as they were selling it cheap. Instead of Velcro it ties to the eyes on the inside of the boot. I’d prefer Velcro but going with this was actually cheaper than the third party ones. Plus I could add Velcro if I really wanted
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 03:27 PM   #346
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I did, in the end I decided to go official and I got the bmw liner and I got the bmw sill protector. Arrived today actually so I haven’t got the car yet to fit them but i spent so long looking that in the end I just went bmw. I got the liner discounted through the dealer I use for discounts and I got the protector for a bmw dealer on eBay as they were selling it cheap. Instead of Velcro it ties to the eyes on the inside of the boot. I’d prefer Velcro but going with this was actually cheaper than the third party ones. Plus I could add Velcro if I really wanted
^ Nice, sounds good, good that you could get them reduced through the various channels. ^
      03-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #347
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Check out the bmwforums.info forum and look for the Harry Fairbairn section where you can request a discounted price for anything bmw with a part number, the guys are pretty good there
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #348
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Check out the bmwforums.info forum and look for the Harry Fairbairn section where you can request a discounted price for anything bmw with a part number, the guys are pretty good there
Thanks, that's good to know, I'll give that a look. Cheers. ^
      03-22-2018, 09:19 AM   #349
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Finally got some pictures up

http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1478562
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #350
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

BMW have agreed to replace the bumper with a factory ordered replacement so no respray needed which I’m very happy about.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #351
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
That's great news 325_bucks, glad it is sorted to your satisfaction. ^

Still curious to see the interior and ambient light in a dark interior if you feel up for it and don't mind sharing!

Safe travels.
      03-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #352
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
BMW have agreed to replace the bumper with a factory ordered replacement so no respray needed which I’m very happy about.
Well that's great customer service, very good of them to do that.
Appreciate 0