BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-10-2018, 03:41 AM   #45
michal12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
The LCI is a real opportunity to push the G12 to its right place in the market.

The existing car is strong in product substance but never managed to inspire customers to buy with its conservative evolutionary shape or driver engagement in the case of its bigger engine versions.

I hope BMW uses the facelift to give it the lines and added tech to place it ahead of the S class.

Please BMW, more of the design cues of vision luxury and the new 8 GC and less of the X7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
The LCI is a real opportunity to push the G12 to its right place in the market.

The existing car is strong in product substance but never managed to inspire customers to buy with its conservative evolutionary shape or driver engagement in the case of its bigger engine versions.

I hope BMW uses the facelift to give it the lines and added tech to place it ahead of the S class.

Please BMW, more of the design cues of vision luxury and the new 8 GC and less of the X7.
Read somewhere they did the design evolutional deliberately to satisfy fleet buyers.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 04:30 AM   #46
E90M3JETS
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
The dash looks nice and possible as the rumours say it's going to have better autonomous driving features. However 325_buck, don't think it's worth waiting for 2019 to get.

There's always something better coming along. I'll be happy with this one and in 4 years time see what I fancy then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
-ambient air button not on HVAC control screen, isn't that a standard feature in the 760? (or this newer prototype?)
Standard in the UK but doesn't mean it is for all markets and in fairness if nothing has changed with that, maybe they just built the prototype without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I'm not familiar with the 7 series but can you opt it with rear wheel steering? The photos of the test car sure looks like it has rear wheel steering.

That massive grille is going to kill the look of the car no matter what they do the rest.
Yes you can get it with rear wheel steering, standard on the M760Li.
It took BMW to be outsold in Europe and exactly 5 years to come up with a car that can go head2head with the Tesla Model S.

The instrument cluster looks it has copied straight from the Model S and the camera system too. Hopefully it drives as well too.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 04:53 AM   #47
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mannn View Post
It seems the I drive screen is slightly bigger on the LCI?
I was also wondering that, my only explanation is that the edges of the usable display are not shown and make the display look bigger than it is (or the usable display area goes to the edges of this display) whereas the current display usable area is quite a bit smaller than the overall area of the display.

The physical space it occupies seems to be the same as the current one judging by where it ends on each side by the vents?
Attached Images

03-10-2018, 05:11 AM   #48
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by michal12 View Post
So this would suggest the M760i continues to live!
Heard it was gonna be discontinued.
Yes, the model and V12 will continue to live on... BMW officially confirmed they have no plans to stop it. (unlike some other models (V8's in the 750i, X5 50i and X6 50i) that won't meet the new Euro 6c norm and will be missing until they can be modified to meet the new norms).

Last edited by Pelo Cat; 03-10-2018 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: adding details about 5.0 V8's temporary removal
Appreciate 1
michal12198.50
      03-10-2018, 05:37 AM   #49
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3JETS View Post
It took BMW to be outsold in Europe and exactly 5 years to come up with a car that can go head2head with the Tesla Model S.

The instrument cluster looks it has copied straight from the Model S and the camera system too. Hopefully it drives as well too.
So I drove and considered a Telsa P100D before I ordered my M760Li. There's a lot of hype about the Tesla's but the reality in my opinion if you can look beyond that is they don't live up to it.

Yes it's fast, no doubt but it doesn't feel faster than the M760Li and judging from the CarWow test, the Tesla is only really quicker on the initial go because well it's electric.

Outside of that the car just doesn't feel all that expensive, it feels cheap. The ride is pretty firm despite it being on air suspension. The centre console looks cool but it's somewhat laggy. The dash is nice but there's no HUD, I never even really look at the dash when you've got a HUD. The navigation system is also really poor compared to BMW's.

Then look at all the stuff you get on the 7 series that the Telsa doesn't have available. Laser lights, adaptive headlights, massage seats, cooled seats, rear seat entertainment, 360 degree parking cameras, self parking inside the car, hell they didn't even have rain sensing wipers when I drove the car but I know that's fixed now.

So yes it's cool that they get software updates however to be honest they need them because there's so much missing on their cars currently. At the price range of a M760Li and more expensive because their offer isn't as strong, it just doesn't compete. You'd have to want to own an electric car to pick it.
Appreciate 4
H.I.T409.50
      03-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #50
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 FIREORANGE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwstandard View Post
I sure hope that's not an X7 sized grill....
#bugcatcher #krillecatcher
BMWPhotoVin, 01of01, GTS DCT, EPS, MDM,
CS EDC,Analog Dip ,GTS parts.
Euro Vin e30 M3, FIA cage / 14.7 p / w ratio.
Euro E30 touring G30 MSport i3s LBB X5M
3.2carrera

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClRTsfNzuz_EjUBu59UCykA
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 07:31 AM   #51
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

' Do not remove ' that top sticker from the digital dash screen ! No comfort mode please. Release all 12 at once !
3.2carrera

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 07:32 AM   #52
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mannn View Post
It seems the I drive screen is slightly bigger on the LCI?
I was also wondering that, my only explanation is that the edges of the usable display are not shown and make the display look bigger than it is (or the usable display area goes to the edges of this display) whereas the current display usable area is quite a bit smaller than the overall area of the display.

The physical space it occupies seems to be the same as the current one judging by where it ends on each side by the vents?
I'm like meh
3.2carrera

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 07:34 AM   #53
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDEALERMIAMI View Post
How do we know this is even a 760? Doesn't have brushed metal rims or side mirrors.
Now let's let Alpina go to work on one
3.2carrera

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #54
Madvillain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: lada

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMvy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvillain View Post
turn it down? imo the simpler the stupid bits like that the better. no need for added costs of bs. also dont through audi in the mix their cars are uttrr garbage when comapred to bmw and mercedes. anyone who has an eye for details will catch the cheapness or anyone thats worked on them.

What are you talking about, literally? I "think" I agree with you on some aspects, but you responded to a comment regarding the superiority of OLED, POLED, AMOLED displays. They are. Only Sony can come close with LED to OLED, due to their advanced back-lighting and processing, but they have even moved to OLED for some of their flagships.

BMW has made a poor choice with using shitty LED tech. The clusters look like shit at night. Blacks should be black, not grey, or tonal. On a side note, I'm the biggest Sony fanboy ever, but let's put a LG, Samsung, or lastly a Sony panel in there. Even Apple put a Samsung produced display in the iPhone X. Panels: LG > Samsung > Sony.
all im saying is id rathe rhave it cheap and simple to fix if ever something was to go wrong. alot of the tech in these cars is useless and just bumps cost for what? to tell other people hey look what i have...? i guess for some people these displays matter like you said with the black and grey bits and thats ok but id rather have something simple. personal pref i guess cuz i also do like the look of more mechanical parts like physical needles moving or atleast those metal rings.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 09:17 AM   #55
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
BOOOOO They're still using LED Backlit screens! Common BMW, when are you going to go OLED or AMOLED? I don't like driving at night with the backlight of the LCD screen lighting up my face.

Probably because of the burn-in problems with OLED screens.
      03-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #56
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3JETS View Post

So I drove and considered a Telsa P100D before I ordered my M760Li. There's a lot of hype about the Tesla's but the reality in my opinion if you can look beyond that is they don't live up to it.

Yes it's fast, no doubt but it doesn't feel faster than the M760Li and judging from the CarWow test, the Tesla is only really quicker on the initial go because well it's electric.

Outside of that the car just doesn't feel all that expensive, it feels cheap. The ride is pretty firm despite it being on air suspension. The centre console looks cool but it's somewhat laggy. The dash is nice but there's no HUD, I never even really look at the dash when you've got a HUD. The navigation system is also really poor compared to BMW's.

Then look at all the stuff you get on the 7 series that the Telsa doesn't have available. Laser lights, adaptive headlights, massage seats, cooled seats, rear seat entertainment, 360 degree parking cameras, self parking inside the car, hell they didn't even have rain sensing wipers when I drove the car but I know that's fixed now.

So yes it's cool that they get software updates however to be honest they need them because there's so much missing on their cars currently. At the price range of a M760Li and more expensive because their offer isn't as strong, it just doesn't compete. You'd have to want to own an electric car to pick it.
I test drive a Model S in 2014 and wasn't blown away. The initial novelty is fun, but it got old quick. And the interior felt like a Camry. No thanks.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #57
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalaudio View Post
It's funny how this pics show up around here 😂
yeah... VERY CURIOUS how these " spy shots" included the interior dash which is ON.

Quote:
BOOOOO They're still using LED Backlit screens! Common BMW, when are you going to go OLED or AMOLED? I don't like driving at night with the backlight of the LCD screen lighting up my face.
which is it.. LCD or LED?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukr View Post
BMW needs to start using OLED. These LCD panels look awful at night.

Just add money.. let's see... OLED tails for the M4 GTS cost how much ? An iphone X OLED screen that is 6" wide runs another $200-300 ...

After finally giving up on $500 USB connections and perhaps after BMW stops charging Exec pack pricing for a government mandated back up camera.. they will make OLED screens optional.
Spied or more actually leaked ...
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #58
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
I test drive a Model S in 2014 and wasn't blown away. The initial novelty is fun, but it got old quick. And the interior felt like a Camry. No thanks.
Exactly. It's a cheap quality car with a very expensive drive train is all.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #59
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
Damn, that cluster looks good. I wish I could have held out to 2019
Funny, I fell in love with BMW's purposeful, timeless and effective white on black instruments many years back. I recently test drove new audi and hated the digital stuff glaring at me. Ruled it out. The wife recently test drove a new Civic SI and hated the digital instruments in that. She then test drove the GTI and love the instruments in that. There is brand new GTI in my garage.

I have a feeling this is a cool gadget but will wear on the driver eventually especially at night.
Appreciate 1
DeeKay553.00
      03-10-2018, 01:30 PM   #60
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
The extended cluster on my F30 also only looks good in daylight - at night the border is very clearly visible
      03-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #61
garrettp36
Seasoned
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3 Sedan Estoril/Magma

Seems as though a US front plate would cover up either the front radar or the active kidneys.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 10:41 PM   #62
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)

Might as well just throw a rolls grill on the front instead of those massive and hideous kidneys.
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 10:56 PM   #63
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

That seems like a really quick turnaround for an LCI, no?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 11:38 PM   #64
drew_larson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 328d Xdrive

Quote:
Actually, looks like either 3 cameras or the same two cameras but maybe (do we dare hope?) a dash cam integrated into the centre? (where it looks like a camera lens may be (red arrow pointing at):
Dash cam
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 04:25 AM   #65
itsmorich01
Germany
Rep
Drives: 1993 316i Coupe

Is it me or have they removed the hockey stick on the side of the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 06:01 AM   #66
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmorich01 View Post
Is it me or have they removed the hockey stick on the side of the car?
Hard to tell, the vent is still there as someone pointed out but it appears to be smaller/thinner than before so the stick may be gone or may not...no definitive answer to that yet unfortunately, I personally don't mind the hockey stick but do realise that many don't like it.