BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-14-2018, 11:38 AM   #1
paul.j.ghosh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M760i xDrive

road trip - Chicago to San Diego - spare wheel?

I am contemplating doing a road trip in two weeks from Chicago to San Diego and am a little hesitant because of the 20" run flats and no spare wheel. I have already lost the front tires three times to pot holes resulting in bulges or gashes. What are the options for a spare wheel? I would ideally like a donut with jack and lug wrench.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:40 AM   #2
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.j.ghosh View Post
I am contemplating doing a road trip in two weeks from Chicago to San Diego and am a little hesitant because of the 20" run flats and no spare wheel. I have already lost the front tires three times to pot holes resulting in bulges or gashes. What are the options for a spare wheel? I would ideally like a donut with jack and lug wrench.
Yikes, that's not a good record, sorry to hear it...I will try to say what you likely already have realised but maybe someone else will chime in with better / different options;

-one option is to simply have a spare 20" rim with same RF tire fitted so you still have the same 'set' , diameters and pressures in the car and covers the concern but is bulky, expensive and may be overkill.

-change the tires to non RF's, then you may find they handle the terrible streets better for the most part...keep a emergency kit (I think it uses some foam to fill the tire and help seal it to get you to the next garage). this improves road noise, is generally cheaper / tire for price, and improves comfort no end...with the knowledge that you won't have RF tires and if a puncture happens could be 'exciting' to stop or bring under control. Still expensive as you have to replace all 4 current tires but no extra needed in the 'trunk/boot'.

-risk it and hope for the best. Certainly take out a membership with AAA or similar if you don't still have some BMW cover for roadside breakdown...Maybe analyse your driving style and consider slowing down or some other factor that may help to avoid the previous record with tires/rims? (not judging you by the way, and this may not be the answer, simply going over all options without considering/knowing how/why you got the 3 flats so far.

I'd personally not recommend, nor know of any emergency wheel that can be used on the 7, I may be very wrong in this, but the diameter change between the emergency tire, bolt pattern and many other factors will work against you trying or considering this, maybe someone else can correct me if I am wrong. Going from a 20 to this emergency diameter rim likely would cause issues with the suspension, electronic monitoring of traction, x drive, abs, etc...so may not allow you to do it due to the detected differences...not sure I'd risk that unless you talk to a dealer you trust and then confirm it is possible and won't mess with the electronic systems and what combination tire / rim to use in that case.

Not the choices or answers you wanted to hear likely but maybe that still helps?

Safe travels.
      03-15-2018, 05:21 AM   #3
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Don't you just press the SOS button and BMW parachute you in a new wheel with guy to fit it for you?

If your getting a lot of flats I'd feel more comfortable with run flats to be honest. They might be a bit more expense and less likely they can be repaired but there's an added element of safety that is hard to ignore.

I'd say having some road side assistance package could be a good idea but I guess there's areas of the US without mobile phone signal so not always going to help you. Just hope you don't break down in one of those areas with cannibals as I've seen the movies and it never looks pleasant
Appreciate 0