BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-21-2018, 07:09 PM   #1
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

740d xDrive SWB Observations

Thought I'd make a new thread so this doesn't get lost in one of the others but have a 740d xDrive SWB just for the evening, dropping it back at the dealers tomorrow. Mainly to see if it would fit into my garage with remote parking which it won't because UK garages are just not wide enough on a modern build.

Anyway I had a short drive down a B road and have some observations I thought I'd share. I've looked up on the VIN checker and it's not heavy on the options, there's no Executive Drive for instance, active cruise and so on.

All the roads I'd mostly tried previously on test roads were reasonable but I decided to try it on one of Cambridgeshire's famous B roads. Famous only because of how bad some of them are, effectively the speed limit might be 60mph but go 60mph in most cars you risk bouncing off the road or throwing up, they are anything but flat. I'm not making this up, some of our roads are quite special

The particular road I tried I'd probably go around 50mph for most of it on the M5 simply because it'll bounce around too much, your confidence to go quicker just isn't there. Get a firmer car than the M5 and you'd likely need to go even slower to feel your safe, not going to be sick. The 740d though I put it in Adaptive and was quite happy at 60mph, could have gone faster still I think if I wanted.

A good example was a driver going pretty slow but a Golf GTI behind it, clear section came and the Golf overtook but the road then gets really bad so he slowed right down. I over took them both and they vanished behind despite only doing the speed limit. Neither of those cars were comfortable going close to the limit on sections of the road.

The suspension soaked the road up so I felt like it was far flatter than I know it is and gave me the confidence to go at speeds you simply wouldn't in other cars, even M models. Very impressed by that and something I'd not got to experience on a previous test drive.

In Sport on those roads it's much firmer. The car handles it fine but it stiffens up enough that you can imagine making yourself ill going at 60mph on those roads for a length of time again. So it's better in adaptive on that road, didn't try either of the Comforts with it as only a short drive but maybe when I get mine I'll give that a shot. If they aren't great then it must be the Adaptive mode doing it's magic.

Another thing I noticed is the body control is pretty good but take a corner pretty quickly even in sport and you can feel the lean. That's not there on the M760Li I'd driven so I'll chalk that one up to the Executive Drive Pro on the M760Li. For the people without it I'm not sure your missing an amazing amount if your not slinging it around corners but if you are then it's noticeable.

Launch Control... That works It's got a real kick actually on the 740d xDrive from nothing when you use it. A lot of torque and in reality more than enough power from that motor, I'd be more than happy with that engine. Just the deal is good on the M760Li but I'd not feel short changed on a smaller one, it pulls the car very well.

The fuel gauge seemed to be broken. The car had around half a tank of fuel but still had 300 miles of range estimated. Witchcraft

Noticed it before but need to mention it again but the HUD is just so much bigger and better than in the M5, older BMW models. Absolutely love that and a must have option if you ask me.

Driving the car it just doesn't feel that big, it's very nimble for it's size. Knew this already but again need to mention it.

OK so the car does have the self parking feature where you just hold down the P button and it parks for you. I tried this twice and it scared the hell out of me both times. The first time next to a van and near the end it was swinging the back towards the van on the second go back (It had gone forwards once) that I grabbed the wheel which cancelled it. I'd hope it would have madly swung the wheel the other way but I bottled it.

The second time next to a normal car but the spaces were at a services and not hugely wide. The car swung around on first go, then forwards and lined it up reasonably nicely but it was going to be over the white lines. I'd not blame it because it's tight. Anyway it went back but decided I guess it shouldn't be over the lines so went forwards and tried to line itself up closer to the other car. Went back again and then slammed the brakes on telling me a hazard was in the way cancelling the park. There was nothing I was aware of but it was close to the other car. I'm thinking it wanted to be in the white lines but also felt that put it too close to the car next to it so aborted.

So not much luck with the self parking. Maybe it's better during the day when there's more light and no doubt works better with bigger spaces but it's just a bit scary. It doesn't half move at some speed when it's parking at points plus getting extremely close on occasions. Maybe one of you will give it a whirl and see how it works out, no doubt I'll give it another go when I get mine because I'll want to understand it but in reality probably never use it.

Last thing I want to mention is with my drivers seat in my position I can get into the back just fine but only really when the seat is upright. If I recline the seat I'm stuck sitting with my legs having to go either side of the drivers seat, I simply don't fit well when the seat slides forwards to do that. No issues with kids but I think if you want adults behind you and using the recline feature you do probably need the LWB. At least if you've 6 foot+ driver up front.

Gave me a short reminder of how good this car is while I wait for mine
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-22-2018, 04:41 AM   #2
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Some interesting points, thanks.

I obviously can only compare to my 730 and the 40 in my 640. Most of what you've said is true, certainly over roads that would be terrible in other cars, it's much more acceptable in this car.

Also, im not just saying this to justify my purchase but even my 730 doesn't feel too slow. The nature of the car doesn't make me want to drive it fast generally but when necessary it has enough poke to feel quick. Not in the same league as the 760 of course but I would say that Pelo Cat was right, I dont feel im missing out by not getting the 740 over the 730. Instead of the power, which I don't think is truly necessary in this sort of car, what I'm missing from the 760 is the handling benefits and the larger rear space of course. luckily I don't need my drivers seat as far back as you, so the rear space behind me is actually ok it seems.

But in general you're points seem pretty fair and true.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 04:54 AM   #3
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
Some interesting points, thanks.

I obviously can only compare to my 730 and the 40 in my 640. Most of what you've said is true, certainly over roads that would be terrible in other cars, it's much more acceptable in this car.

Also, im not just saying this to justify my purchase but even my 730 doesn't feel too slow. The nature of the car doesn't make me want to drive it fast generally but when necessary it has enough poke to feel quick. Not in the same league as the 760 of course but I would say that Pelo Cat was right, I dont feel im missing out by not getting the 740 over the 730. Instead of the power, which I don't think is truly necessary in this sort of car, what I'm missing from the 760 is the handling benefits and the larger rear space of course. luckily I don't need my drivers seat as far back as you, so the rear space behind me is actually ok it seems.

But in general you're points seem pretty fair and true.
Fully agree on this as well. I've driven a 730d when they first came out as the G11 and never felt it was slow. I had a 330d a good while ago and moved to a 335d, I was a bit disappointed that the jump in terms of acceleration wasn't more. It is a jump but it's not like night and day either.

The handling is better in the 760 however you've got to be getting a move on to notice it I think. As you say it goes against the type of car where you just feel like driving it in a relaxed manner. So yeah it's nice but I wouldn't worry too much about not having those features either, it's a stellar car even without them.

Shame they don't sell the 750d in the UK. That would likely have some serious performance while still pretty damn good fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #4
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Interesting points, good to hear others perspective on many of the different aspects of the current 7. ^

I've never been able to let the self-parking do the whole parking job...don't have the bottle for it...I do wonder if that is the German's way of having a laugh...'watch this Franz, we tell ze car that a parking space ist 6 m long und 2.4m vide and vhen zeh try to park using ze feature....BAM! Ah, ze Englander....vatch him try to touch up zat Individual Blue paint after...HAH!'

Fully agree with the HUD...best improvement over past models by a long shot in my books, lets you fully concentrate on the roads and almost never need to look at the cockpit really. The size is really something that has to be seen and experienced doesn't it.

Good to know about the suspension thoughts, I know I have completely become used to this one and forget how hard and how stiffness can lead to loss of traction at times (outside a track!) on public roads...something for me to consider when I do go for some Summer alloys, be a shame to throw away the comfort for looks completely.

Love the bit about the fuel gauge...Shell had to let go of a few people last night after doing an emergency call in as they knew you were going out...but you didn't stop in to even say so much as a 'how do' to them...Stock prices have dropped until you issue a statement to clarify that you aren't now looking to move to a diesel....

They've really got the handling and feel of the car right with excellent visibility and position for such a large car that you forget all that once inside. Love it, never want to go back to a different model now.

Personally, the 730d is perfect for the daily car concept. It is quick enough, it is very frugal, it has enough power so one is not wanting, it keeps the tax man at bay (comparatively) and if one really wanted just that bit more oomph...you could get it remapped to output the 15% or 20% more without pushing it and be where a 740 would be anyway for a lot less money than buying the 740. If I keep this one for the next couple of years I may remap at some later point when all the compacts get a discernible boost so one can maintain just that bit more to be able to nip and tuck when needed in traffic to avoid issues but not for being able to race, it just is such a lovely car that I'm quite happy to do the grand touring concept...fast but not stupid and completely in comfort....let the boy racers drag their bottoms and shake and rattle away....

the 760 is an exception...at least in concept...it seems to be able to sleep and be the tame tiger when wanted but also be able to quickly disavow anyone of the illusion that it isn't the best production car they make...Although it does come with the higher price tag, higher running costs (services will be interesting to hear about! 325_bucks, tyzer and myself will pass the hat around and buy you a pint and a chaser to get over the shock and bring some warmth back into your body upon seeing the total on page 12...) A stunning example, hope it doesn't have a sting in its tail though with taxes, fuel, servicing costs (if one was to have it longer than the 5 years or drive more than 50k miles with it)

I do personally like the 730 or the 760, not sure I'd go for anything else myself...and the 730 is just a lovely sweet spot that does everything without complaint but can be upgraded with remapping to get that bit more if needed in a few years time to stay up with the jones's...
      03-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
I've never been able to let the self-parking do the whole parking job...don't have the bottle for it...I do wonder if that is the German's way of having a laugh...'watch this Franz, we tell ze car that a parking space ist 6 m long und 2.4m vide and vhen zeh try to park using ze feature....BAM! Ah, ze Englander....vatch him try to touch up zat Individual Blue paint after...HAH!'
Honestly it's like launch control in reverse when you start it... Well not quite but it did shock me the speed it initially wanted to go.

Quote:
Fully agree with the HUD...best improvement over past models by a long shot in my books, lets you fully concentrate on the roads and almost never need to look at the cockpit really. The size is really something that has to be seen and experienced doesn't it.
Yeah it's just a huge improvement over the old one and even that one is better than other makes I've come across. BMW ones for me have always been razor sharp, the one I had in the C63S always seemed just a little off focus. Only a tiny amount but it just wasn't quite right. Same on the test one I drove so know it wasn't faulty, just simply not as good.

Quote:
Good to know about the suspension thoughts, I know I have completely become used to this one and forget how hard and how stiffness can lead to loss of traction at times (outside a track!) on public roads...something for me to consider when I do go for some Summer alloys, be a shame to throw away the comfort for looks completely.
Yeah firm and stiff is for tracks, out on the public roads at least in the UK those types of suspension setups don't always work so well. Some of our roads are quite shockingly bad

Quote:
Love the bit about the fuel gauge...Shell had to let go of a few people last night after doing an emergency call in as they knew you were going out...but you didn't stop in to even say so much as a 'how do' to them...Stock prices have dropped until you issue a statement to clarify that you aren't now looking to move to a diesel....
I'll have to prepare a statement to set the record straight

Quote:
Personally, the 730d is perfect for the daily car concept. It is quick enough, it is very frugal, it has enough power so one is not wanting, it keeps the tax man at bay (comparatively) and if one really wanted just that bit more oomph...you could get it remapped to output the 15% or 20% more without pushing it and be where a 740 would be anyway for a lot less money than buying the 740. If I keep this one for the next couple of years I may remap at some later point when all the compacts get a discernible boost so one can maintain just that bit more to be able to nip and tuck when needed in traffic to avoid issues but not for being able to race, it just is such a lovely car that I'm quite happy to do the grand touring concept...fast but not stupid and completely in comfort....let the boy racers drag their bottoms and shake and rattle away....
Tax isn't much different after the first year if your buying privately. Infact I think it's pretty much the same though the first year does sting at £2k! Not a good choice for a company car though as the tax band will be off the roof I'm sure.

Looking forwards to just being debadged. Just today coming back from the dealers in the M5 some guy in a blue 3 series must have spotted my car and comes right up behind me at speed, braking at the last minute. Road clears and I move on at quarter throttle and he's right on my ass. Then as he exits and speeds off he looks at me with a look I would describe as "That guy wasted his money on an M5, my 3x0d (Or whatever it was) could keep up no problems". Honestly the number of people that just want to race you is silly around here.

It's warm and dry today, tyres are gripping nicely. I could have floored it and shown him that no, a 180bhp car cannot keep up with a 560bhp car but I'm over that. What happens in those cases is you vanish, get to the speed limit and slow down then they shoot past you at over 100mph by the time they catch up.

Quote:
the 760 is an exception...at least in concept...it seems to be able to sleep and be the tame tiger when wanted but also be able to quickly disavow anyone of the illusion that it isn't the best production car they make...Although it does come with the higher price tag, higher running costs (services will be interesting to hear about! 325_bucks, tyzer and myself will pass the hat around and buy you a pint and a chaser to get over the shock and bring some warmth back into your body upon seeing the total on page 12...) A stunning example, hope it doesn't have a sting in its tail though with taxes, fuel, servicing costs (if one was to have it longer than the 5 years or drive more than 50k miles with it)

I do personally like the 730 or the 760, not sure I'd go for anything else myself...and the 730 is just a lovely sweet spot that does everything without complaint but can be upgraded with remapping to get that bit more if needed in a few years time to stay up with the jones's...
The 760 is pretty much a do it all car. The only downsides to it is the cost and running costs as you mention. I doubt I'll use it beyond it's service life time so probably not have to pay any of those costs myself so not worried about that, it's just the fuel. Once your running an M5, it'll be more but your used to already going to fill up often so it's not going to be a million miles worse. Going from a 730d to a 760 though could be a shock to the wallet though. You'll need roughly twice the amount of fuel to cover similar distances plus 98 RON ideally which is a bit more expensive per litre. So if doing work for business just make sure you can cover that so not hugely out of pocket is all.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 02:51 AM   #6
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Nice points and thanks for sharing these .From my driving perspective when you opt the Integral Steering Wheel the car feels even shorter than its dimensions would suggest .
Speaking of parking , I think there's something that BMW needs to get it sorted out . When you turn on PDC (automatic braking when the car is too close to the objects behind )it slams on the brakes making you think it spots the object at the last minute and applies panic braking . It's not a good thing or a smooth experience .Whereas the car should brake in phrases or gently when a sensible owner would do
      03-23-2018, 03:31 AM   #7
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
Nice points and thanks for sharing these .From my driving perspective when you opt the Integral Steering Wheel the car feels even shorter than its dimensions would suggest .
Speaking of parking , I think there's something that BMW needs to get it sorted out . When you turn on PDC (automatic braking when the car is too close to the objects behind )it slams on the brakes making you think it spots the object at the last minute and applies panic braking . It's not a good thing or a smooth experience .Whereas the car should brake in phrases or gently when a sensible owner would do
Yes your spot on with that about the braking when parking, it does an emergency stop kind of brake yet the object it wants to avoid hasn't moved. The 360 degree cameras and other features of the parking system are extremely good, it's a shame this bit isn't as polished.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 03:33 AM   #8
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
I’ve had it slam on the brakes three times now, once because it detected the snow as an object. It’s very disconcerting because it really feels like you’ve hit something hard!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #9
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
I’ve had it slam on the brakes three times now, once because it detected the snow as an object. It’s very disconcerting because it really feels like you’ve hit something hard!
In fairness if something appears out of no where I'd expect it to do this. It's when that objects been there the whole time and is static. In those situations it should handle it better.
Appreciate 0