BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

02-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
Localbrew
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

Please help - Rotten eggs in the cabin

Ok, so here's the symptom/s; this pretty much started out of nowhere, meaning it didn't start lightly and get worse, it showed up one day and has not gone away. I started getting the horrendous rotten egg smell in the cabin, here are the facts.

2011 BMW 740LI 82k miles

Most noticeable coming to a stop, and then accelerating
Does not occur when traveling at speed
Dealer could smell it but checked "everything" and nothing came up (odd)
Dealer noted battery is from 2011 and should be replaced
When you have the AC on and the recirc function on you cannot smell the bad smell in the cabin
If the recirc function is off (outside air available) you can smell it pretty bad

I don't want to start replacing parts one by one but I need to get this smell gone it's pretty bad and super embarrassing.

I have also attached pics of the codes I found when I did a live data download.

The Fail screen shots were of the Exhaust gas sensors. I would really appreciate anyones help here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
belarus27
Private
Rep
Drives: E550

when was the last time you changed you cabin filter?
had a similar smell , turned out to be a cabin filter needed to be changed. might not be your case , but..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #3
Localbrew
Private First Class
Rep

I'm going to change it this week and do the frigi fresh clean. I don't think that's it because I did smell a musty smell previously and it was different than the rotten egg smell.

Additionally if it were the cabin filter and you had it on recirculate, wouldn't that smell be present 100% of the time? That's why I didn't think it was the cabin filter.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #4
belarus27
Private
Rep
Drives: E550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Localbrew69 View Post
I'm going to change it this week and do the frigi fresh clean. I don't think that's it because I did smell a musty smell previously and it was different than the rotten egg smell.

Additionally if it were the cabin filter and you had it on recirculate, wouldn't that smell be present 100% of the time? That's why I didn't think it was the cabin filter.
most likely not it , but i jsut wanted to make sure , cuz in my case it had a bad smell only for like 5-10 min and then it would go away. (filter dried up or watever , not sure how excatly that work)
well one possibility less.
update us with the process
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
Localbrew
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by belarus27 View Post
most likely not it , but i jsut wanted to make sure , cuz in my case it had a bad smell only for like 5-10 min and then it would go away. (filter dried up or watever , not sure how excatly that work)
well one possibility less.
update us with the process
Will do, cabin filter is getting installed today along with the frigi fresh cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
Localbrew
Private First Class
Rep

Frigi fresh done, cabin filter replaced, and seems to be better.

I've also run a bottle of techron and will be using a name brand gas station as opposed to the cheaper brands. Hopefully that will make it go away once and for all
Appreciate 0