BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

08-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
general98
Registered
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3

Looking for comments on 1999-2000 740i

I have owned a 325 before and currently drive a Saab but want a larger car. I have younger kids and so I am looking for something large but used, something that can take a beating from my kids but still be a nice daily driver.

I am looking at a 1999 740iL and a 2000 740 both with around 190,000 miles. That's a lot of miles. I will certainly have a pre-buy inspection done by an independent mechanic before I buy anything but I was looking for some advice on what I should be on the lookout for and how much deferred maintenance (and the expense associated with) that I can expect.

My wife has a 12 year old Mercedes with 130,000 miles on it and it drives wonderfully. Can I expect the same sort of longevity with a BMW, particularly one that already has 190,000 miles on it?

Thanks in advance for any help for this newbie.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

what about a 2001 BMW 740li? I have one for sale. We hardly drive it because we have more cars than people in the house. Let me know if you are interested. We live in NoVA (not sure where in VA are you).

PM me if you want to check it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
general98
Registered
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3

I am in Richmond but can't pm because I don't have enough posts yet. Mcchesney98@yahoo.com is how you can reach me.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

ok sent you an email.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #5
Epiplatys
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M760Li 2018

No, you can not expect the same longevity from a 740 as from a Merc, imho (having owned both). Neither will do as well as a Lexus.

However, the 1999-2000 740 is the best looking BMW by far. Well, may be the 840.

That is hard to beat.
      03-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
frieseke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 750li

I had one, and to be honest they cost about 300 bucks a month in maintenance. Sometimes more sometimes less. At about 150k I'd seriously suggest changing the transmission oil because BMW thinks they are lifetime units. They are wrong. At about 270,000km the tranny went on mine and it was because of the oil never being changed on it. Another thing I'd look for is the front radiator. The front reservoir is really prone to breaking and failing. If its leaking its about 1000 bucks to fix and probably not worth it. If it looks clean without leaks - great! If it looks like there was a spill and it was fixed - great! BMW redid the coolant reservoir to not fail like the old ones were prone to do.

A couple other little things, see if there is a shimmy at around 80 kph (50 mph). Most e38s had it and they varied in how bad they were. Some of them were terrifyingly bad and I would suggest avoiding it, others were barely noticeable to just not being there. Find out what you can live with and go with that.

The e38 radios sometimes work and sometimes they don't. Make sure that the radio works before you get it. It is usually a problem with the tape deck and costs about 100 bucks to fix.

Make sure the steering linkages and suspension are good and there are no leaks - they can get pricy to work on. Check the seals and gaskets on the engine - they can fail and cost a few hundred bucks. And finally, if the check engine light is on, make sure its something small like a gas cap or an O2 sensor not something big like a Vanos or worse.

Mine gave up the ghost after about 440,000km from brand new. The stuff I did to that car and it kept on going was incredible. I only had to tow it away once - it always got me where I needed to go. They were the best cars around and every once in a blue moon when I see one I think to myself man, that was just such a good car.

If you can put up with the quirks and odd little thing going and are at all handy get the 7.
Appreciate 0