BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #23
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 08:15 PM   #24
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Seen a couple of Model 3s, there will be more. When the cheapest model becomes available that will be a steal even without government subsidy.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:43 PM   #25
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I've seen a bunch of those! I thought they were older Honda Accords!
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      02-21-2018, 10:49 PM   #26
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
... When the cheapest model becomes available that will be a steal even without government subsidy.
You obviously aren't aware of their marketing strategy. Sell cheap but only deliver expensive. People are dropping out of the Model3 early sign up because the promised "$35K" model is not being built. $47K seems to be the magic lowest purchase price of one that is acceptable. I dropped out of a model S order when I was bluntly told my model would not be produced .... that with the smallest battery, all I needed .... at all. None.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      02-21-2018, 11:33 PM   #27
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
You obviously aren't aware of their marketing strategy. Sell cheap but only deliver expensive. People are dropping out of the Model3 early sign up because the promised "$35K" model is not being built. $47K seems to be the magic lowest purchase price of one that is acceptable. I dropped out of a model S order when I was bluntly told my model would not be produced .... that with the smallest battery, all I needed .... at all. None.
Better to go with refurbished than buy new, you can get an s for the price of a 3 fully loaded. The base model will be produced but not until 2020 will you be able to get one.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      02-22-2018, 06:36 AM   #28
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
When the cheapest model becomes available that will be a steal even without government subsidy.
Every TSLA I have been in just doesn't feel special and worth the money. What exactly is so compelling about this vehicle? It looks and feels cheap all around. I really do not get the hype surrounding this vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #29
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
... What exactly is so compelling about this vehicle?....
Pros.... EVs are very quick with no fuss, just step on the go pedal. Quiet. Smooth (no transmission shifting). Roomy interiors. Low center of gravity/handle well. Should be more reliable with fewer moving parts (time will tell). Can be charged overnight while you sleep so no trips to the gas pump. No emissions at point of use. Easy to drive - you can one pedal around town.

Cons..... Expensive. Heavy (batteries). Limited range. Charge time and availability if you go low on juice before destination. Batteries deteriorate over time and use limiting range more and eventually need costly replacement. If you can't charge overnight where you sleep they are not practical. Did I say expensive?

Quote:
... It looks and feels cheap all around. ....
I agree although the Model S looks great from the exterior. Interior not so much. The other models suck inside and out.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #30
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

When looking at the ModelX or XC90 T8 Inscription. The Volvo product wins every time. There is nothing attractive or compelling about the ModelX that would make me consider it over almost any hybrid vehicle available.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #31
JibSTir13
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 / FJ Cruiser

Two of my friends drive a Tesla, one an X, the other an S.

X driver hates his car due to build quality and no ability to charge at home (he is tearing the house down soon and does not want to put money into a charger). He came from an A6 and misses it dearly. Vehicle is leased, so he is gonna ride it out and say bye to Tesla for the foreseeable future.

S owner loves his car, does not have build quality issues, and can charge at home. He purchased the vehicle and was told that once the battery is less than 90% (or 95%) charge capacity (something along these lines, don't quote me) Tesla will replace the battery.

I see just as many Teslas in my area as I do Bimmers and Mercs, possibly more some days. They are a huge hit in the Bay Area. Unfortunately, most drivers I've spoken with are not car guys, they are tech guys (which is why they like the company).
Appreciate 0