BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

03-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Help, advice needed brakes

I took my car in for service. It is a 2011 750li Xdrive. The dealer and the techs treat me very well.

However, my car has 27000 miles. The CBS (conditioned based service) indicator said to change my front brakes between now and 3200 miles.

The tech did not change my front brakes. Instead, they just reset the indicator to last another 22,000 miles.

This seems very wrong. For one thing, the BMW has sophisticated algorithms to know how I drive my car and when the brakes should be changed.

Here, it looks like the tech is just resetting the interval and relying solely on the brake wear trigger. This does not seem proactive to me. This seems downright dangerous!!!

I mean I bought a $100,000+ car and now BMW is going to simply forgo the technology it touts as "conditioned based service" in favor of an old fashioned inspection.

I prepaid for the maintenance of these brakes. Second, I paid handsomely for all the technology this car has to offer.

Now, BMW ditches all of their sales propaganda when push comes to shove. Why is BMW taking a risky chance with my family? This is a heavy 4 wheel drive car.

I think BMW is screwing me and my family to save the cost of $50 brake pads. How can BMW claim that their high technology proactive conditioned based service will protect me on one hand, but then give all that up in favor of a reactive type service on the other hand?

What do you guys think? I was told this is a BMW policy so it's not my dealers fault. Can front brakes last 46,000 miles with the heavy duty city driving that I do? Please help, I am concerned for my family. Especially since it seems like you have to have the pedal go down to the ground to stop the car.

I look forward to your much needed help!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F01 740d M Sport

Garage List
My car has done 37000m now on the original brakes and includes many 100mph+ heavy braking periods. Determining the amount (in terms of soon or a long way off) of braking lining left on a set of pads isn't particularly difficult. So personally, I'd be happy to go with the tech's advice.

Fastbuck
2012 F01 740d M Sport Alpine White Oyster/ Oyster
2013 E84 X1 1.8d M Sport Alpine White Black/ Black
Appreciate 0