BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Closed Thread

01-18-2018, 07:32 AM   #67
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel_Hunden View Post
Trading is not what I'm referring to, paying the car off and keeping it long(er) term so that the money otherwise used for a car payment can be used for another purpose, investment, for example - or paying a second car off early, home improvement, etc.
But that's my point - hardly anyone "makes it" to the end of a traditional car loan without getting something new. So it really calls into question whether buying is worth it or not.

Unless you're buying something awesome that will be kept forever, or are buying used in the first place.
      01-18-2018, 07:45 AM   #68
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Quote:
Trading is not what I'm referring to, paying the car off and keeping it long(er) term so that the money otherwise used for a car payment can be used for another purpose, investment, for example - or paying a second car off early, home improvement, etc.
But that's my point - hardly anyone "makes it" to the end of a traditional car loan without getting something new. So it really calls into question whether buying is worth it or not.

Unless you're buying something awesome that will be kept forever, or are buying used in the first place.
It's worth it if your goal is to pay the car off and keep it long term. If you're a car flipper, then maybe a program such as this or leasing is more suited. Car ownership can be customizable based on a person's needs, wants or desires. And we are seeing more of that with this type of program as well as car sharing. Things have changed a lot since I started driving and I'm sure it will continue to evolve.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #69
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Not interested, so BMW don't contact me.

Enjoy ED every 3 years and PCD's. What a hassle this would be for moders, like myself, unmodding every 12 months instead of 3 years.

Doubt how I highly option and customize my BMW's would be available, as Center allocation would probably be limited- just like the bare bone packages/options on the loaner fleet vehicles.

Highly doubt there would be individual paint or interior colors available within the fleet.

I'll pass.
A man's gotta know his limitations.
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3480.00
      01-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #70
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsltAnalyst View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
$2000 a month (Cayman, Boxster, Macan, Cayenne)
$3000 a month (+ 911 and Panamera)

$2000 a month for BMW M2, BMW 3/4, BMW M5, BMW M8, BMW X5M, BMW X6M?
Sign me up!

the membership from passportporsche seems like a posh and very expensive version of Zipcar. Now the manufacturers want to get in on the action. This concept is nothing new, I saw like hundreds of BMWs parked Frankfurt/Munich that had some sort of BMW car share stickers.

Haha for $2K/ month I should start a car sharing service too. It'll only have BMW M2/M3/M4 with manuals and only base models, you know, for weight reduction (not cost cutting). Only requirement is prepay 50 months in advance and you can keep the car at the end, free of charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
BMW is already offering maintenance, so adding insurance is not a big deal...but how they are going to manage the differences between a good and bad driver, with frequent accidents vs none, daily driving vs track driving...anyway the only looser will be the customer...these days people will be ending by knowing only one thing to do in their life...paying
For this program BMW picks you, not vice versa. They'll invite or market this to those with a low insurance risk and who already change cars every year.
There will be a fine print, only 0.001 unicorn applicant's will qualify, everyone else will be denied or offered a much higher rate for this pilot program.
Thanks for this. I didn't have time to to read the fine print for the Porsche plan.

Personally , I tend to buy to own whether I buy used or new as I have a " particular set of skills" that I want from my vehicles, so I'm definitely not a candidate for such a program.

I agree that the bmw program likely won't stray too far from the zipcar and Porsche model just as Enterprise doesn't sell rental cars much differently than Hertz.

Based on that, I'm sure that MGM135is is probably already out also, even if awarded unicorn status, since he doesn't like the mere idea of being grouped with other unicorns. EDIT- Speaking additionally on the insurance side... When speaking of spread of risk... this is referring to the MACRO level of understanding that having ALL people insured, actually REDUCES the cost of insurance for ALL people that have insurance - ( a known fact). Meanwhile, perhaps unbeknownst to many, insurance companies ALREADY place their policyholders in groups that are more similar. There are age groups, vehicle groups by engine size, matrices based on availability of parts, matrices on theft ratios, zip code, weather pattern, loss history, etc. The combinations of these are so varied that there are people that get paid to do this for a living. They are called actuaries. It's not like insurance take a bunch of money and throw it into the same pot to pay for claims. Insurers even separate large groups of clients into preferred risk, normal risk, and assigned risk categories, among many. Names such as Mutual, County Mutual, State and County Mutual, Casualty, Fire and Casualty etc are names that are used for these separate pools that insurance companies separate drivers into on a larger level as well. You will know when you've reached unicorn status when your insurance company issues a policy to you with LLOYD'S as the company name.

The same is true of course when it comes to health insurance. One of the problems with insurance in the united states is the politicizing of insurance which creates a lack of understanding of how complex the industry is. Health Insurance companies are literally lobbying to prevent a national health care system, which in turn allows them to charge higher premiums due to the costs from so many people being UNINSURED. A rising tide raises all boats. Meanwhile, auto insurance and home/renters insurance are compulsory and we all for the most part, understand why.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-18-2018 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #71
Skulinex
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '4 M3/'5 M3CS/‘18 M3CS /‘21M2C

Garage List
2015 Toyota 4Runner  [0.00]
2021 M2 Competition  [0.00]
2018 M3 CS  [0.00]
2004 M3  [10.00]
2005 M3 Competition  [0.00]
You can somewhat already try it if you want. The reason why Porsche started their passport program in Atlanta is because they teamed up with the company that started the car sharing app here to begin with: 'Clutch'. I am friends with one of the founders and it is an idea that took off like wildfire. You can drive a BMW, Audi, Benz, etc -depending on the plan bracket-, delivered to you, maintenance, detailing and insurance are included. For the lower price plans, you get cars that are 2-3 years old but in good condition etc. and you can swap whenever pending on availability, etc but booking is preferred. When you swap, they bring it to you, take your current car back etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #72
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulinex View Post
You can somewhat already try it if you want. The reason why Porsche started their passport program in Atlanta is because they teamed up with the company that started the car sharing app here to begin with: 'Clutch'. I am friends with one of the founders and it is an idea that took off like wildfire. You can drive a BMW, Audi, Benz, etc -depending on the plan bracket-, delivered to you, maintenance, detailing and insurance are included. For the lower price plans, you get cars that are 2-3 years old but in good condition etc. and you can swap whenever pending on availability, etc but booking is preferred. When you swap, they bring it to you, take your current car back etc.
Just checked out their site. Cool concept, but the pricing is pretty high. I guess you have to factor in that you're not paying insurance. But, the lowest tier is $750 per month. Turo might be cheaper, depending on the car, and they are in more cities.

What's their plans for expanding into additional cities?
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 09:45 AM   #73
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Lame move BMW. 15k Kia have free apple play..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #74
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Book by Cadillac is interesting at $1.8k per month they have a subscription plan in three US cities and a fleet of current year products plus many exchanges including ATS-V, CTS-V and Escalade. I can't see a potential BMW car subscription plan costing less than Cadillac.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #75
e85sbm
Snow Wizard
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 & E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
Book by Cadillac is interesting at $1.8k per month they have a subscription plan in three US cities and a fleet of current year products plus many exchanges including ATS-V, CTS-V and Escalade. I can't see a potential BMW car subscription plan costing less than Cadillac.
I agree, that the price is a bit high, however, the Porsche Passport is $2k per month for basic and $3k per month for more vehicle options. Overall that is a heavy price to pay to be driving a new luxury vehicle when compared to lease or finance payments.

If you are only needing a vehicle for a short visit from overseas, this could be a good option.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #76
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
The inexpensive BMW subscription will be X1/2 series at $1,000, going up to M's at $2,500/month (to factor in the M increased maintenance, as these vehicles will be abused-just like at the PC).

These vehicles will be priced very high to factor in the 1st year depreciation hit, based on full MRSP and base money factor with maximum allowable bump. No front end incentive or trunk incentives for based off of invoice pricing.

What is the 1yr/12 month BMWFS lease rates? Factor in the $925 bank fee over 12 month. Also, respective state sales taxes into the monthly payments.
      01-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #77
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
That's a lot more cash than leasing, and leased car are under manufacturer warranty and long service intervals that makes them almost free to operate except for gas and tire. Sounds like a sucker trap.
I hear what you're saying, but it depends on the details of how the program is set up and how often you can switch cars.

Imagine if you could have a Boxster in the spring and fall, coupe 911 for the summer, and a Macan for the winter months. Now THAT could be cool.

Porsche already started their pilot program I believe. 2 tiers. Not cheap tho!
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:31 PM   #78
Digital_83
OO=[][]=OO
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F36 430xD M Sport/THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Not interested, so BMW don't contact me.

Enjoy ED every 3 years and PCD's. What a hassle this would be for moders, like myself, unmodding every 12 months instead of 3 years.

Doubt how I highly option and customize my BMW's would be available, as Center allocation would probably be limited- just like the bare bone packages/options on the loaner fleet vehicles.

Highly doubt there would be individual paint or interior colors available within the fleet.

I'll pass.
Makes it two of us. For me its always a deep, sentimental value. I get too personal and attached to my car..
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3480.00
      01-18-2018, 12:47 PM   #79
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
*rental car*

Business write off.

T
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      01-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #80
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Thanks for this. I didn't have time to to read the fine print for the Porsche plan.

Personally , I tend to buy to own whether I buy used or new as I have a " particular set of skills" that I want from my vehicles, so I'm definitely not a candidate for such a program.

I agree that the bmw program likely won't stray too far from the zipcar and Porsche model just as Enterprise doesn't sell rental cars much differently than Hertz.

Based on that, I'm sure that MGM135is is probably already out also, even if awarded unicorn status, since he doesn't like the mere idea of being grouped with other unicorns. EDIT- Speaking additionally on the insurance side... When speaking of spread of risk... this is referring to the MACRO level of understanding that having ALL people insured, actually REDUCES the cost of insurance for ALL people that have insurance - ( a known fact). Meanwhile, perhaps unbeknownst to many, insurance companies ALREADY place their policyholders in groups that are more similar. There are age groups, vehicle groups by engine size, matrices based on availability of parts, matrices on theft ratios, zip code, weather pattern, loss history, etc. The combinations of these are so varied that there are people that get paid to do this for a living. They are called actuaries. It's not like insurance take a bunch of money and throw it into the same pot to pay for claims. Insurers even separate large groups of clients into preferred risk, normal risk, and assigned risk categories, among many. Names such as Mutual, County Mutual, State and County Mutual, Casualty, Fire and Casualty etc are names that are used for these separate pools that insurance companies separate drivers into on a larger level as well. You will know when you've reached unicorn status when your insurance company issues a policy to you with LLOYD'S as the company name.

The same is true of course when it comes to health insurance. One of the problems with insurance in the united states is the politicizing of insurance which creates a lack of understanding of how complex the industry is. Health Insurance companies are literally lobbying to prevent a national health care system, which in turn allows them to charge higher premiums due to the costs from so many people being UNINSURED. A rising tide raises all boats. Meanwhile, auto insurance and home/renters insurance are compulsory and we all for the most part, understand why.
I don’t mind not being somebody’s unicorn. I typically buy anyway because I drive too many miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 07:05 PM   #81
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I'd do this for my electric city car and then separately have an M in the garage for more long term.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 08:31 PM   #82
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Car sharing aligns nicely with self-driving cars: both things that I'm fine with other people doing.

I keep cars as long as I possibly can and load them up with exactly the options I want. I don't want to drive the same white base model 3 strippers with tan leatherette that the loaner fleets are filled with.
      01-19-2018, 06:25 AM   #83
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Interesting. When I was in college I worked at Ford. We had a similar programme. It included the lease, all maintenance and insurance. The only expense for the customer was gas. The customers who took up on it were mostly medium size businesses. More Lincolns than Fords. We did not offer it on light trucks.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 07:00 AM   #84
Pito11213
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 alpine white 528 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
BMW is already offering maintenance, so adding insurance is not a big deal...but how they are going to manage the differences between a good and bad driver, with frequent accidents vs none, daily driving vs track driving...anyway the only looser will be the customer...these days people will be ending by knowing only one thing to do in their life...paying
Use of GPS telematics would address this issue. Especially since you can track attempts at trying to corrupt the product
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 01:42 AM   #85
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
If only this plan existed with marriage....
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 10:30 PM   #86
B777flyboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i carbon black

Garage List
2013 Bmw 135  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I think you are all missing the point in that while the risk is spread, we all pay different rates based on our risk profiles. We don’t all pay the same amount.

we understand that you made a poor analogy and will allow you to retract it.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
At least he's B. Kuhnt and not A. Kuhnt
like this.
If everyone fully understood both sides his analogy was actually spot on.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #87
Jono2112
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Looking at the Porsche plan for the atl area, it's $2000/month for cayman, boxster, macan, or stripped cayenne. $3000/month for those plus 911, panamera, and loaded cayenne. At $2000/month I would own a base Macon, cayman, or boxster in three to three and a half years, or a loaded S or base cayenne in four to five years. So this program is at least double what would be as good a deal for the consumer as compared to buying or leasing. Even with insurance included. At $1500/month it might make sense.
I think I'll just get a three year old cayman, boxster, 911, M2, M3, or M4, buy a maintenance plan and drive the wheels off it!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 09:34 AM   #88
NCThreePedals
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4/Audi Q8/F15 Diesel

Quote:
Perpetual car payments with nothing to ever show for it. Yes, a car is a depreciating asset, but in the end you do have something of value.

I'm skeptical.
That's a lease now, so what's the difference? Long term rental is all it is
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread