BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #23
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Dodge Charger SRT 392

Garage List
From everything i read you seem like the the one with no experience. So your commute is 22min and it took you 4 hours because you had a rwd even tho you had winter tires, well I'm sorry you're doing something wrong, I'll tell you this, i had all seasons last winter altough i never actually got stuck for good it was a challenge to drive, this winter i installed my continental extreme winter contact and huge difference, we had a snow storm yesterday with 15-20cm and i didn't get stuck once, even going up the hill on my street, roads werent plowed by then yet. It all depends the way you drive it, i either drive with DTC ON or if it's lots of snow and I'm going up the hill i put the traction control off.

Last edited by RoamPT; 02-03-2015 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #24
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Falafels daily routine: Wake up, change the type of car I want to buy that day. Start my 127th flame war online because I like to watch the world burn. Get thread moved. Blame the moderators and their "conspiracy" against him. Sleep content. Repeat.

I enjoy 1/2 of your posts and 1/2 makes me want to throw a falafel combo at your noggin. I guess overall I enjoy you though. There is a 15% chance you own this site and have been gifted to us to drum up hits and keep things fresh. Congrats!
      02-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #25
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

I find this thread fascinating.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #26
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post

I enjoy 1/2 of your posts and 1/2 makes me want to throw a falafel combo at your noggin.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #27
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
I too, am inclined to make the same assertation.

Also, thread title makes me chuckle, but sad because it's not a real thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 01:47 PM   #28
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Falafel Combo ,

First how many years have you been driving?

If you say anything less than 35yrs than I have far more experience driving in bad weather especially snow and deep snow. I grew up in the northeast.

Next when it took you 4 hours to get home in deep snow did you turn off DTS if not that is the problem. Traction control is one of the single worse thing to have while driving in snow especially if you have to drive up and down hills. I have been in cars where DTS was so agressive it stop the car completely on a hill. As you pointed out keeping your moment up is the most important thing when driving in snow. DTS is counter to this.

I will tell you AWD is not going to be any better in this regard and probably worse if you leave DTS turned on.

I have driven all kinds of cars, trucks (2W and 4W) along with AWD cars and I find that AWD along with pickups are the worse from a predictablility stand point on how it will respond to changing road conditionsor when you loose control.

That is my two cents from all the years of driving in various snow conditions as well driving my 335I with good snow tire for the last 8 years. I have never got stuck in my 335I even when other cars were stuck or slide off the road, but I usually turn off DTS and drive at a reasonable speed.

This is what there is a button to turn DTS off, when traction control first arrived cars you could not turn it off and it suck since you would easily get stuck on a hill in the snow.

Last edited by Maestro; 02-03-2015 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 03:26 PM   #29
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

I really like the title of this thread. I didn't read anything else. That is all.
      02-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #30
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Falafel Combo ,

First how many years have you been driving?
Why do we assume he is old enough to have a driver's license ?

a
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 04:47 PM   #31
cctm4me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Ummmmm....

Name:  CoolStoryHansel.jpg
Views: 1684
Size:  43.8 KB
      02-03-2015, 10:11 PM   #32
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
I too, am inclined to make the same assertation.

Also, thread title makes me chuckle, but sad because it's not a real thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
I really like the title of this thread. I didn't read anything else. That is all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctm4me View Post

This thread is nothing if not hilarious! I agree. Nothing like taking a whole conversation out of context and making a new thread about it. Wouldn't be the finest moment of "moderating" I've seen around here, must say.

Zoo lander and hansel references for the bonus!!

Last edited by Falafel Combo; 02-03-2015 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 10:13 PM   #33
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
Falafels daily routine: Wake up, change the type of car I want to buy that day. Start my 127th flame war online because I like to watch the world burn. Get thread moved. Blame the moderators and their "conspiracy" against him. Sleep content. Repeat.

I enjoy 1/2 of your posts and 1/2 makes me want to throw a falafel combo at your noggin. I guess overall I enjoy you though. There is a 15% chance you own this site and have been gifted to us to drum up hits and keep things fresh. Congrats!

Lol! Dude, you enjoy half my posts? I'd say you must have terrible taste. But I will sleep content tonight, knowing that.

#hellcatfever
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2015, 10:14 PM   #34
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamPT View Post
From everything i read you seem like the the one with no experience. So your commute is 22min and it took you 4 hours because you had a rwd even tho you had winter tires, well I'm sorry you're doing something wrong, I'll tell you this, i had all seasons last winter altough i never actually got stuck for good it was a challenge to drive, this winter i installed my continental extreme winter contact and huge difference, we had a snow storm yesterday with 15-20cm and i didn't get stuck once, even going up the hill on my street, roads werent plowed by then yet. It all depends the way you drive it, i either drive with DTC ON or if it's lots of snow and I'm going up the hill i put the traction control off.

Nailed it. How do I sign up for your driving classes??? I'm doing it all wrong!

Gotta love the forums. God bless!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 11:21 PM   #35
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

What's this winter thing you all keep going on about??
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 11:43 PM   #36
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Whenever a post like this gets posted, one thing becomes painfully obvious. The OP is an attention seeking narcissist that have very poor deduction skills and logical reasonings.

End of the thread and do not feed the thrills anymore than we had already done.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 11:44 PM   #37
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Dodge Charger SRT 392

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Nailed it. How do I sign up for your driving classes??? I'm doing it all wrong!

Gotta love the forums. God bless!
You are I'm sorry, don't get all butt hurt. You post it on the forums, deal with it. Slap some good winter tires on your rwd and you're good, no it doesn't have the same performance as the awd, BUT it's still pretty good, i seriously don't understand the whole rant. Even with an awd you need to be self-aware, most people think it will do everything for them, and they can drive like it was dry pavement, most of the time it's in the operators control. I see many rwd driving in these winter storms we have.

Again it's a forum, so some people won't have the same opinion you have so i don't know what you were expecting....
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 07:04 AM   #38
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Nothing like taking a whole conversation out of context and making a new thread about it. Wouldn't be the finest moment of "moderating" I've seen around here, must say.
Falafel -

Contrary to the clear message you send with your candor and conduct around here - the rules do in fact apply to you. Also, while its obvious you are not pleased by this fact, you do not control the content of this forum.

Here's a quick tip for not getting your post broken off into an off-topic thread: don't go off topic.

Thanks, and enjoy the forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #39
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Didn't read all the posts but I just had 3 different cars with 3 different sets of tires in upstate NY winter for a month.
VW GTI with blizzaks
Subaru Legacy GT with all-seasons
Mini Countryman with summers

On dry days only I drove the Mini.
On dry days only I drove the Subaru.
On snowy and icy days I drove the GTI. PERIOD.

I would even, in a heartbeat, take my 1er out with snow tires rather than the subaru with all seasons.
      02-24-2015, 12:27 AM   #40
Gissel82
Rep
n/a
Drives:

The Title of the thread is amazing. I completely enjoyed reading your post, but hey can you suggest me some tips on best Port Macquarie Driving School? I am searching for a famous driving school as now I want to learn driving. Within few month’s my college will start, so I want to go in college by car. Help me!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 12:50 AM   #41
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gissel82 View Post
The Title of the thread is amazing. I completely enjoyed reading your post, but hey can you suggest me some tips on best Port Macquarie Driving School? I am searching for a famous driving school as now I want to learn driving. Within few month’s my college will start, so I want to go in college by car. Help me!
Lolwut
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 07:19 PM   #42
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
AWD with all season rubber is better than RWD with the best snow/ice tries money can buy, in every imaginable situation except for braking. Period!
People that end thoughts with "Period!" are always wrong. Period!

Last edited by radix; 02-24-2015 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Changed comma to period. Period! PERIOD!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 07:31 PM   #43
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Please tell me more about your 6 straight New England winters and how you know so much about it. I lived up there for 20 years and RWD even on all season tires (winters/snows are far superior) is no real issue. It sounds like you need to learn how to drive your car. The best advice to give, which I have not seen yet in this thread, would be to get an instructor and brush up.
      02-25-2015, 05:30 AM   #44
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Please tell me more about your 6 straight New England winters and how you know so much about it. I lived up there for 20 years and RWD even on all season tires (winters/snows are far superior) is no real issue. It sounds like you need to learn how to drive your car. The best advice to give, which I have not seen yet in this thread, would be to get an instructor and brush up.
Aaaaah ... if I had a dime for everytime someone on an anonymous internet car forum advised another member to "learn how to drive" their car.

But now that I think of it, I believe you are correct. I should not be posting my own personal experiences and observations. They are obviously invalid, since they contradict your own. Apparently I have quite a bit to learn. 20 years on RWD and all season tires in New England and "no real issue", huh? I wonder what you define as a "real issue".
Appreciate 0