BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

02-10-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

BMW Assist Enrollment Suspended on Cars 4+ Years Old!?

So this is a new one…

Forgot my BMW Remote iPhone app password and been meaning to call BMW to reset same.

Got around to doing so this past weekend, but learned that the BMW Assist plan is required for the app to work which I didn’t previously know.

Nevertheless, the telephone rep told me that BMW suspended BMW Assist enrollment and re-enrollment on cars 4+ years old. I asked why and the rep didn’t know. I asked when the suspension will be lifted and she didn’t know same either.

BMW portrays and advertises safety as paramount, yet suspended BMW Assist renewal - which automatically calls emergency services after an accident, need be - on older cars with no notice to owners.

Anyone come across this?

Last edited by dbs600; 02-22-2016 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600
So this is a new one…

Forgot my BMW Remote iPhone app password and been meaning to call BMW to reset same.

Got around to doing so this past weekend, but learned that the BMW Assist plan is required for the app to work which I didn’t previously know.

Nevertheless, the telephone rep told me that BMW suspended BMW Assist enrollment and re-enrollment on cars 4+ years old. I asked why and the rep didn’t know. I asked when the suspension will be lifted and she didn’t know same either.

Pretty reprehensible that BMW portrays and advertises safety as paramount, yet they’ve suspended BMW Assist renewal - which automatically calls emergency services after an accident, need be - on older cars with no notice to owners.

Anyone come across this?
Yes! But, you can blame the telecom folks like Verizon and att. 3G is going away.

You should really blame BMW for not securing deals that would prevent this situation.

In a way, this is really an amazing development. Rather than telecoms having to support old tech, they are telling their subscribers to take a hike.

In the end, not having to support old tech like 3G will exponentially increase new capabilities of future systems.

Having to support old tech is an albatross that the telecoms have dodged.

Can any one say class action?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for this.

A retrofit should've been fast-tracked and launched before any suspension at no cost. Our cars were marketed and advertised with these features, and cars that renewed prior to year-end still have service and there was no prior notice.

If truly a matter of the technology no longer being supported, you'd think they'd allow these important safety features to continue until the technology is actually terminated, and reimburse customers on a prorated basis thereafter, but no, people continue to have these services if they renewed prior to year-end.

Last edited by dbs600; 02-22-2016 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 09:41 PM   #4
sgcrockett1
Rep
Drives: 750 lix

I just ran into this problem. I attempted to contact BMW assist through the button on the top of the car and instead reached a 911 operator. I then called BMW and was told the program was no longer available for my 2012 750. Is there any third party (such as google) that can offer some of the services, or is it just a lost cause. This makes me angry enough that I am thinking about buying a new car (not BMW). I am guessing there is no info about a retrofit. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 03:14 AM   #5
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgcrockett1
I just ran into this problem. I attempted to contact BMW assist through the button on the top of the car and instead reached a 911 operator. I then called BMW and was told the program was no longer available for my 2012 750. Is there any third party (such as google) that can offer some of the services, or is it just a lost cause. This makes me angry enough that I am thinking about buying a new car (not BMW). I am guessing there is no info about a retrofit. Any suggestions?
I have a 2013 X1 and 2015 7 and today I just found out both cars are under warranty and both cars can't be renewed for the life safety service, concierge or Internet.

BMW needs to hire a bloody attorney and seek an injunction to stop the telecoms from no longer supporting 3G. My God BMW, are you going to wait for a tombstone before you get off your collective ars and stop these free loading telecoms from killing your customers --- literally?

Which one of us is going to be the first casualty where our super tech cars cannot phone home to report the accident?

ARE YOU LISTENING BMW???

Stop this nonsense now and tell us your bloody plan.

Note to BMW: you need to come up with a plan and tell us about it before the herds of American lawyers start smelling blood and go for your jugular BMW.

Oh, wait silly me. I just read the fine print. It says "BMW assist will only work for the first year of ownership for your 2015." Oh, gee this changes everything----not!

THIS IS ABSURD!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 01:11 AM   #6
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for this info.

A retrofit should've been fast-tracked and launched before any suspension at no cost.

Our cars were marketed and advertised with these features, as stated.

Cars that renewed prior to year-end still have service and there was no prior notice.

Anyone know if we can program the SOS button to dial 911?

Last edited by dbs600; 02-22-2016 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 01:44 AM   #7
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgcrockett1 View Post
I attempted to contact BMW assist through the button on the top of the car and instead reached a 911 operator.
Any idea how your SOS button is programmed to dial 911?

Nothing happens when I press mine.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 11:24 AM   #8
sgcrockett1
Rep

I have no idea what happened to the reprogramming of the button. It must have happened at the same time the connected drive menu item did away with messages from BMW. I now have a screen that says contact BMW and when I press select I only have a 0 on the screen. Given BMW's silence I am doubting there will be a work around. I assume I have lost messages how to avoid traffic jams and directions to go on different routes. My online research tells me "Google Maps" has some of this information but it will not show up on my navigation screen. I do not know if I have lost other nav functions. I guess they will show up when I attempt to use them.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 07:38 PM   #9
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

WOW.... This is very troubling and complete Bullshit!
      02-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #10
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have no idea what happened to the reprogramming of the button. It must have happened at the same time the connected drive menu item did away with messages from BMW. I now have a screen that says contact BMW and when I press select I only have a 0 on the screen. Given BMW's silence I am doubting there will be a work around. I assume I have lost messages how to avoid traffic jams and directions to go on different routes. My online research tells me "Google Maps" has some of this information but it will not show up on my navigation screen. I do not know if I have lost other nav functions. I guess they will show up when I attempt to use them.
Can you please double check and confirm that the car dials 911 when you press the SOS button? Please check same twice - once when your phone is connected and once when it's not. Thanks!

Last edited by dbs600; 02-22-2016 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 04:44 PM   #11
sgcrockett1
Rep

I just pushed the SOS button with the phone turned off and in the house. I received the message that the call was being established and then I connected with a 911 operator. I always thought that the message as to establishing the call was through a satellite, but I am not positive. What I do know is the call is not going through my cell phone. Any more thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 04:57 PM   #12
sgcrockett1
Rep

Does anyone know if other manufacturers such as Mercedes, GM, and Audi have had this problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #13
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I just pushed the SOS button with the phone turned off and in the house. I received the message that the call was being established and then I connected with a 911 operator. I always thought that the message as to establishing the call was through a satellite, but I am not positive. What I do know is the call is not going through my cell phone. Any more thoughts?
Wow; this is huge; thank you!

I called BMW Customer Service and a BMW 'Genius' confirmed that having the SOS button call 911 is possible on non-US cars, but he was unable to state why or how a US car is able to do same.

In light of BMW’s decision to discontinue BMW Assist on 2014 and older model year cars, we must figure out how to program our cars so the SOS button calls 911 directly...

Last edited by dbs600; 02-22-2016 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #14
sgcrockett1
Rep

I travel between Salt Lake and La Quinta, Ca, several times a year. I go across the Mojave in areas where there is no cell reception at all. I will try the SOS button to see what happens on my next trip. If it connects it will have to be through a satellite relay. I will post the results of my trip about the middle of March.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:08 PM   #15
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I travel between Salt Lake and La Quinta, Ca, several times a year. I go across the Mojave in areas where there is no cell reception at all. I will try the SOS button to see what happens on my next trip. If it connects it will have to be through a satellite relay. I will post the results of my trip about the middle of March.
That'd be great; please let us know; thank you!

Did you purchase your car new or used?

Is it a US or a CAN car?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 12:05 AM   #16
sgcrockett1
Rep

Bought it new in Salt Lake City at the BMW dealer. How would I know if it was US or Canadian. It was on the showroom for at least two months. This is really interesting.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 12:17 AM   #17
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Bought it new in Salt Lake City at the BMW dealer. How would I know if it was US or Canadian. It was on the showroom for at least two months. This is really interesting.
Enter the last 7 characters of your VIN here:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...eoverride=true

I receive the following:

Year: 2011
Make and Model: BMW 750LI XDRIVE US

Yours may be followed by "CAN", not "US".

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 01:22 PM   #18
sgcrockett1
Rep

When I entered the VIN I received the following:

Year: 2012
Make and Model: BMW 750Li xDrive Sedan

No indication of US or Canada origin

Last edited by sgcrockett1; 02-18-2016 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #19
sgcrockett1
Rep

At one of the VIN decoder sites, I found my auto was manufactured at the "
BMW Plant Dingolfing.
Germany." Under model it says k750lix USA.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #20
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Interesting; thanks for all your troubleshooting!

So yours is a US model, like mine, but one year newer.

Curious how yours is able to dial 911 from the SOS button.

While such functionality in place of BMW Assist would satisfy me, many out there who've lost all other BMW Assist functionality will still be upset regardless, no doubt.

If you ever learn how your car is able to dial 911 from the SOS button, please let us know; would be a major contribution to the forums!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #21
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600
Anyone come across this?
Back in 2014 when the notices first went out. 2G Service (for cars with HU_CCC or HU_CIC) has already been taken down in major metropolitan areas.

How is it reprehensible on BMW's part that AT&T is shutting down 2G & 3G networks? They introduced new hardware before the announcement was made.

Just because no hardware resolution is officially available doesn't mean they don't exist. Some cars will be easier than others. The question is, how much would an affected party be willing to pay? $300-$500? Over $2000?

The mention of lawsuits is pretty disgusting and only renews the typical frivolous litigation stereotype that exists. The agreement between the parties is no less than solid and precedent in the matter has been established by the courts. Binding arbitration with AAA as the Arbitrator is as far as it would go.

Every car I've had since these services were introduced have been equipped with it and I've used it precisely Zero times. How will we ever survive without it?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 03:25 PM   #22
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
Back in 2014 when the notices first went out. 2G Service (for cars with HU_CCC or HU_CIC) has already been taken down in major metropolitan areas.

How is it reprehensible on BMW's part that AT&T is shutting down 2G & 3G networks? They introduced new hardware before the announcement was made.

Just because no hardware resolution is officially available doesn't mean they don't exist. Some cars will be easier than others. The question is, how much would an affected party be willing to pay? $300-$500? Over $2000?

The mention of lawsuits is pretty disgusting and only renews the typical frivolous litigation stereotype that exists. The agreement between the parties is no less than solid and precedent in the matter has been established by the courts. Binding arbitration with AAA as the Arbitrator is as far as it would go.

Every car I've had since these services were introduced have been equipped with it and I've used it precisely Zero times. How will we ever survive without it?
If not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem, and your arrogant comment that “Every car I've had since these services were introduced have been equipped with it and I've used it precisely Zero times. How will we ever survive without it?” followed by a sigh reveals your naivety. I suppose you’ll sigh as well when upside down and unable to reach your phone or - even better - when your airbag fails to deploy and you crack your head.

Legalese does not absolve BMW, and if you would’ve taken a moment to read the posts above, you’d see how this is on BMW, especially since our vehicles are able to dial 911, but BMW restricts same, even in light of BMW Assist suspension. In fact, the FCC requires all cell phones – those not connected to a plan included – to be able to dial 911, our cars being no different. Safe travels.

Last edited by dbs600; 02-22-2016 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0