BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Question Alfa Romeo GIULIA - Doomed From The Start...

Uh Oh....

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/10/a...usauto00000016

Quote:
Automotive News published a report last week saying two suppliers had insisted the Giulia, on the eve of production, didn't just fail one internal crash test, but failed the front, side and rear impact tests. A third supplier source told us the same thing. Alfa is denying it.

It was due on sale in Europe late last year and was supposed to be here in the next month or two. But it wasn't, and it won't. It was to be headlined by a twin-turbo V6 that reportedly howled its way around the Nürburgring 14 seconds faster than the BMW M3 could manage. That second part is only true if you believe it's fair to compare a full lap in a standard BMW M3 with a favorable accumulation of sector times to a development prototype Giulia with 220 pounds stripped out of it and rolling on hand-cut racing slicks.

No, me neither.
      02-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #2
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Oh, I knew it and called it from the get-go. I was called a BMW fanboy everywhere I made such intelligent statements. This car is only marginally more than vaporware at this point.
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #3
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Har har
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 01:59 PM   #4
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Exclamation

I still think it is a bad ass car!

There is already an update:

UPDATE: "An Alfa Romeo US spokesman responded to this article with the following statement: The safety concerns expressed in the story are false. The all-new 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia is designed and engineered to meet or exceed all federal safety regulations. The Alfa Romeo Giulia will begin production for the North American market in the late second-quarter of this year. "
      02-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #5
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

I am hoping this is going to be my FCA company car if I accept an offer there next month lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 02:09 PM   #6
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Appreciate 2
      02-10-2016, 02:32 PM   #7
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
14secs faster than an M3? Unless they got a vid of that it didn't happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen
I am hoping this is going to be my FCA company car if I accept an offer there next month lol.
Looks like you might get a nice severance package soon. Fezza IPO has fizzled, Chrysler can only make trucks and Jeep has sad little trucklets, a super old Wrangler about to get aluminuzed and a Grand Cherokee about to have to live without its best attribute, a MB chassis. Fiat, Mazzer and Lancia don't have anything worth buying. GM and Ford have promise, Fiat has to be worried.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #9
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post

UPDATE: "An Alfa Romeo US spokesman responded to this article with the following statement: The safety concerns expressed in the story are false. The all-new 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia is designed and engineered to meet or exceed all federal safety regulations. The Alfa Romeo Giulia will begin production for the North American market in the late second-quarter of this year. "
I am certainly not hating on the car or manufacturer. Competition and Variety is great for us, the consumers! But if you read the entire short article, it is apparent that Alfa is in strong denial. Including their own 'update'. Too many involved are saying the product is failing.
I hope they can get back on track for their own sake...
      02-10-2016, 03:07 PM   #10
mremg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TT RS, NC MX5

Quote:
I am certainly not hating on the car or manufacturer. Competition and Variety is great for us, the consumers! But if you read the entire short article, it is apparent that Alfa is in strong denial. Including their own 'update'. Too many involved are saying the product is failing.
Agreed. I was really looking forward to Alfa Romeo coming back in style and increase the competition a bit.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #11
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was just adding the "Updated" information. I generally "prefer" BMW design and engineering to competitors but when people on this forum relish or even find joy when competitors fail it just shows fan-boism. Even worse when it is unconfirmed rumors. The one thing I agree with is competition makes all car manufacturers better.

Your thread title:

"Doomed From The Start..." lol
      02-10-2016, 05:09 PM   #12
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Looks like you might get a nice severance package soon. Fezza IPO has fizzled, Chrysler can only make trucks and Jeep has sad little trucklets, a super old Wrangler about to get aluminuzed and a Grand Cherokee about to have to live without its best attribute, a MB chassis. Fiat, Mazzer and Lancia don't have anything worth buying. GM and Ford have promise, Fiat has to be worried.
Not quite how it works.

Design teams are very small there. Lots of layoffs of fat to get to before touching the design studios. The people I graduated with have been there for a decade now. GM and Ford have far larger design teams which you can be a nameless designer, much more vulnerable.

But to your point, I can't get laid off from a job I haven't accepted yet

Edit: Cherokee is selling well, so is the Renogade. They made the smart call to kill the Dart and 200. The Pacifica should do well despite the dumb name change and Ram sales are still solid. I don't think their outlook at FCA is too bleak but man they need Civic and Accord rivals that make us forget the Dart and 200.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 06:02 PM   #13
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen
Quote:
Not quite how it works.

Design teams are very small there. Lots of layoffs of fat to get to before touching the design studios. The people I graduated with have been there for a decade now. GM and Ford have far larger design teams which you can be a nameless designer, much more vulnerable.

But to your point, I can't get laid off from a job I haven't accepted yet

Edit: Cherokee is selling well, so is the Renogade. They made the smart call to kill the Dart and 200. The Pacifica should do well despite the dumb name change and Ram sales are still solid. I don't think their outlook at FCA is too bleak but man they need Civic and Accord rivals that make us forget the Dart and 200.
Just connecting the dots. You went from that design show to a real design role? That's so full of win. Good on you.

Even the death trap Giulia got a designer paid, even if they never build them.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 06:13 PM   #14
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just connecting the dots. You went from that design show to a real design role? That's so full of win. Good on you.

Even the death trap Giulia got a designer paid, even if they never build them.

Have fun!
Yes, I got a lead designer job at a smaller OEM right after the show and moved from NJ to MI.

I am looking to cash in that equity with a much bigger budgeted studio with more than a two-car line up
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2016, 12:43 AM   #15
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Eh. Rumor mill be spinnin yo.
      02-12-2016, 01:42 AM   #16
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post

Oh ok, my bad....car is good then, here's my money....lol...
Whadaya expect the dude to say, yes the reports are true, many unforeseen issues due to rushing the development have sprung up to create serious problems in bringing the car to market, but their is truth in who we're replacing at top levels.
Damage control tiiiime....
Amaright.

Last edited by Blksnowflake; 02-12-2016 at 02:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 02:08 AM   #17
Desmo85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 / E87 / E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
Oh ok, my bad....car is good then, here's my money....lol...
Whadaya expect the dude to say, yes the reports are true, many unforeseen issues due to rushing the development have sprung up to create serious problems in bring the car to market, but their is truth in who we're replacing at top levels.
Damage control tiiiime....
Amaright.
Exactly, and I think "Doomed" is the perfect term for this topic.

Why?

Because if you have a reputation of building crappy cars and intend to get rid of it as they promised in numerous press conferences it's just hilarious. Where is the video of the Nordschleife Lap (while BMW presented a video with the M4 GTS beating the Giulia being faster 12 seconds with the same power/weight ratio)

The literally killed their unborn child.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2016, 02:50 AM   #18
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Think I am face palming... can't tell.
      02-18-2016, 05:44 PM   #19
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
If anybody still cares.....

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/a...211154050.html

Name:  Alpha.jpg
Views: 2309
Size:  158.6 KB
      02-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #20
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

This is a car you want to lease and not buy.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 09:36 PM   #21
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr View Post
This is a car you want to lease and not buy.
So's a BMW, they're just like any other manufacturer. A bit hit and miss, the Giulietta I had was extremely reliable but wasn't a great car (IMO), the E90 335D I tried was rubbish, the Alfa 159 I owned was great and the F30 I have now is great.

It doesn't hurt to try one out when you're bored, then decide whether or not it's worth even "leasing"..

Last edited by Firaxis; 02-18-2016 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 12:50 AM   #22
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Jaguar XE.

If I was in the market now or soon, I probably wouldn't wait for Alfa. If it shows up and they get "established" over here, then great, but this isn't the time to be shopping or worrying about it. Their presence in the US is almost non-existent. Looks cool, but apears to be vaporware for now.
Appreciate 1