BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #45
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
SQ5 doesn't compete with X5. It's in the same class as the X3. Audi has a SQ5, but BMW has no X3 M. BMW has a X5 M, but Audi has no SQ7. The SQ5 is really nice, but it needs to come with an option for a sport suspension though. It's too high off the ground.
i agree about the suspension. that would push me to a macan if i were in the suv market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em135eye View Post
This and the Q3 RS do appeal but mega bucks.
BMW does the X5 M50d; that's similar to the SQ5.
rs q3 sounds awesome.

x5 xdrive50i would be cool but $20k more for not much gain. x5m would be a very nice gain but $40k more.
      02-11-2016, 11:01 AM   #46
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
Looks like BMW needs to offer cooled seats on more models!
and heated steering wheels!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:07 AM   #47
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
1. Why did you choose BMW over Audi?
Weight, lack of need for awd, handling, ease of modifiable power at the time. Actually used to own an audi 90 in college.

2. Name 2 features you wish your current car had at the time of purchase.
properly sized front tires for the performance of the car and lsd

3. Overall do you like your experience with your dealer?
sure, i have no complaints

4. What are you thinking will be your next car purchase?
been looking to try a mr2 spyder project or another motorcycle, but will still be keeping the current bmw
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #48
EternalVendetta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT / '19 Model 3 SR

Quote:
and heated steering wheels!
I imagine that heated steering wheels are offered on most models, as I have it as part of the Cold Weather Package on my M235i. It's too bad that you lose the heating if you swap out the steering wheel for an M Performance one though.
M Perf. Black Grilles | CF Mirror Caps, Rear Spoiler, Rear Diffuser | Lightweight Front Lip Spoiler | M Perf. Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:22 AM   #49
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

1. Many reasons. I wanted a coupe instead of a four door sport sedan for once. My heavy modding days were/are over, for now, and I wanted something as fast as my previous modded Audi with as many or more options. Price for what I got (options, performance, etc.), this 1er fit was I was looking for. Audi TT-S was too much money (the RS way too much money) and I was of the mindset that I wanted no part of the older version of the 2.0T FSI that was in the Audit TT-S models at the time I was looking (2016's are a different engine). I had owned an Audi with that engine before (prior to my current Audi at the time) and, though I didn't experience any of those issues, had seen enough of them to not want to go down that road again. I always swore I'd own a top end 3 series one day because I used to want one SO bad (I loved BMW steering and the e36/e46 styling) and wound up in a 1er (so it was kind of a Bucket List thing, too).

2. Backup Camera, proper rear LSD, normal Z-rated tires (not runflats), ventilated seats, and Comfort Access.

3. Overall? No. I especially did not until last August when I'd already owned the car a over a year. Now they're getting better, but getting better now over the last 6 mos. doesn't make up for the 10 years plus they've been horrible to not just me, but everyone I've met in this city with a BMW. Oh, and I didn't purchase from my dealer here. Purchased from a dealer in Houston. They were the absolute fucking worst. By far the worst car purchasing experience I've EVER had.

4. I get set on one of about 4 or 5 certain cars every time I look, which means I don't have a fucking clue.

Also, the misconceptions/flat out ignorance concerning Audi's in this thread are just staggering.

Last edited by davis449; 02-11-2016 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:27 AM   #50
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalVendetta View Post
I imagine that heated steering wheels are offered on most models, as I have it as part of the Cold Weather Package on my M235i. It's too bad that you lose the heating if you swap out the steering wheel for an M Performance one though.
The question asked what we wished was an option when we bought our BMW, so those of us with older BMWs wished heated steering wheels was an option. It definitely wasn't an option on my 2004 Z4 lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:36 AM   #51
EternalVendetta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT / '19 Model 3 SR

Quote:
The question asked what we wished was an option when we bought our BMW, so those of us with older BMWs wished heated steering wheels was an option. It definitely wasn't an option on my 2004 Z4 lol.
Fair enough. I was thinking more recent models because my impression is that very few today (if any) offer cooled seats.
M Perf. Black Grilles | CF Mirror Caps, Rear Spoiler, Rear Diffuser | Lightweight Front Lip Spoiler | M Perf. Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #52
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
1. No manual transmission on A6.
  • More headroom in 535i.
  • Prefer the look/design lines of 535i.
  • Rear wheel drive (and DHP).
  • Every so slightly cheaper CPOs with comparable features.
2. Non run flats and having spare tire and - well, low battery warning in cold weather is annoying, as is using trickle charger - though not a feature.
3. Hit and miss, some people are amazing in my case, some just don't care.
4. Audi A6 ... maybe
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #53
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
It might depend on country. In the North American market all Audi SUVs use timing chain as far as I know. It's been that way for many years now, but older models might have used the belt.
Most audi diesels use timing belts (and the bmw diesels use chains).
But maybe you dont get the turbodiesels in the usa.
The smaller audi tsfi engines with chains can have the tensioner problems, so a chain isnt always a good thing (but there is also a bmw engine with big potential chain problems, n47 I believe)

Quote:
Regarding Quattro vs XDrive, no I'm not talking about the Youtube roller video. I thought BMW beat Audi in that fake test anyways. Yes, I'm talking about the torsen-based quattro.
I mis-spoke when I lumped the Q3 into the discussion. It's still a new car in the US and I'm not familiar with it. In real world driving Quattro just feels more natural and planted in the snow. It's a full time active AWD system. XDrive just feels unnatural with the computer making reactive corrections to your driving.
Audi is also slowly ditching the torson quattro based system and replacing it with a computer controlled clutch diff...

Quote:
I forget the time period, maybe around the year 2000 when AWD became very popular on SUVs in cold-climate regions of the US and BMW was lagging behind.
In the year 2000 audi didn't have a SUV. In 2006 they introduced their first suv (Q7). The bmw X5 was introduced in 1999, so if it was lagging behind it was on range rovers, mercedes ML or US branded SUV's
I don't know if its lagging behind. The x5 isnt a true off-roader, so on that it won't score any points, but in that time it was far out superior on normal road conditions compared to what else was on the market back then. Back then suv's where usually off road vehicles with luxurious cabins. Ladder chassis, sometimes solid rear axles etc etc. Everything you want in the terrain and none of it you want on the road. The x5 was imho the first real suv for the road and pretty much defined that segment. The mercedes ML was introduced earlier, but imho didnt focus enough on that segment. Mercedes obviously has a very rich off road history (G class, various army vehicles, unimog etc), and the ML sort of focussed on that heritage imho where the X5 completely focussed on an on road car.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 02-11-2016 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #54
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Hey guys!

Im working on a research project and generally trying to gather information about the luxury car segment. Figured this forum could be a source of valuable information, so if you don't mind, please make a post answering the following questions:

Thanks!
1. Steering feel and brake performance.
2. Not really a feature but 150HP more in the i8
DCT or another gear in the i8, as well. 6 is not enough.
3. Yes.
4. M4 GTS
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 01:42 PM   #55
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Hey guys!

Im working on a research project and generally trying to gather information about the luxury car segment. Figured this forum could be a source of valuable information, so if you don't mind, please make a post answering the following questions:

Thanks!
1. RWD
2a. LSD
2b. Non RF summer tires
2c. A giant Final Fantasy VII meteor logo on my rear windshield
3. I did, no complaints.
4. F80 M3
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #56
bobchuong58
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black E90

Quote:
Hey guys!

Thanks!
1. Still remembered the Audi "Sudden Surged" problem. Plastic radiator broken at the neck story from my friend, so the choice is obvious.
2. Less electronic, Keep it simple as a truly driving machine.
3. I know a good sales guy and good price, don't care about the dealer.
4. Back to Japanese car. BMW e90 weakness: Some diagnostic code that can not be cleared after the problem was fixed.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #57
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
1) I chose my M3 over a S5 mainly because I liked it a little bit better all around even though the M3 was more expensive. I still love the S5 and plan on picking up a cheaper used one soon

2) I wish my M3 had extended leather and a way to open the trunk while the battery is disconnected lol

3) Screw dealers unless its warranty work. I have all my work done at a independent shop that specializes in European cars for $65 a hour. I also either buy the car at auction or try to get the dealer that has the car I want to wholesale it to my dealer so I can buy it locally and set everything up here

4)My next car will be a Audi R8 or hopefully a Gallardo, maybe a M6 or F type R. I pretty much love every European brand. No brand hate

Last edited by BloomRunsDubs; 02-11-2016 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:04 PM   #58
Diggerdan11
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E90 335xDrive

Garage List
1. Because BMW fan boy. I have always loved BMW's and decided it was time to buy one. I wanted AWD so the Audi would have worked and I drove an S4 but I just liked the BMW more. I can't explain exactly why I liked it more, probably my fan boyness coming out.
2. Literally any other interior trim than the ugly brown fake wood. Cooled Seats, backup cam, heads up,non run flat tires.
3. I had a great experience at the BMW dealership I bought the car at. I get is serviced at a different dealership since it is closer and I am just as happy with them.
4. Probably another BMW I'm thinking either a 550 or maybe even bump up to an X5 so I can have more room for kids and dogs
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #59
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Audi is also slowly ditching the torson quattro based system and replacing it with a computer controlled clutch diff...

In the year 2000 audi didn't have a SUV. In 2006 they introduced their first suv (Q7). The bmw X5 was introduced in 1999, so if it was lagging behind it was on range rovers, mercedes ML or US branded SUV's
I don't know if its lagging behind. The x5 isnt a true off-roader, so on that it won't score any points, but in that time it was far out superior on normal road conditions compared to what else was on the market back then. Back then suv's where usually off road vehicles with luxurious cabins. Ladder chassis, sometimes solid rear axles etc etc. Everything you want in the terrain and none of it you want on the road. The x5 was imho the first real suv for the road and pretty much defined that segment. The mercedes ML was introduced earlier, but imho didnt focus enough on that segment. Mercedes obviously has a very rich off road history (G class, various army vehicles, unimog etc), and the ML sort of focussed on that heritage imho where the X5 completely focussed on an on road car.
That's ashame. Audi also calls its computer controlled system Quattro so people will get confused.

I had to look up the year AWD was introduced. Audi first introduced it on the original Audi Quattro back in 1980 and its been an option on most models ever since. The A4 was introduced in 1995 with quattro. BMW didn't introduce xdrive until 2001 for the 3 series, but they did have it on SUVs before Audi even had an SUV. I'm glad I got to do some research on this - learn something new every day.

By the way, the Jeep Grand Cherokee was the original SUV made for the road with creature comforts such as leather seats and auto climate control. My dad bought one in the early 1990's before the X5 came out. I remember it cost over $30k so they were not exactly cheap for that time period either - IMO it was just as nice as any entry level German car of that time period.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 10:18 AM   #60
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
BMW didn't introduce xdrive until 2001 for the 3 series, but they did have it on SUVs before Audi even had an SUV. I'm glad I got to do some research on this - learn something new every day.
Just an FYI:

http://www.google.com/search?q=325iX
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #61
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
An AWD E30? Wow, you really do learn something new everyday. Only 1 for sale on ebay right now, with 200k miles and ripped seats. Are these pretty rare?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #62
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

No not rare, here you see old 4wd bmw's all the time.
BMW x drive is some special regulated 4wd system but bmw has been making 4wd cars since 87 or so. They are nothing special. loads of them for sale (well they're old cars so they start to get rarer off course due to massive rust).
some examples:
http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/de...l?id=221637950
http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/de...l?id=217693373
http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/de...l?id=220165254

I think at the time they only made the 3 series 4wd, but they made loads of them
The first 4wd 5 series was the e34 (introduced in 91) but I think that's a fairly rare car.

BTW I dont think a jeep cherokee is an 'SUV made for the road', but that's something which varies with everyones personal definition.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 02-12-2016 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #63
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

Quote:
Hey guys!

Thanks!
1. Don't like the interchangeable parts between a Polo, Jetta, and A4. Made it sill to spend more on the same thing with a bigger body
2. Has everything
3. Couldn't care less was too much into the car
4. X5
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #64
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post

BTW I dont think a jeep cherokee is an 'SUV made for the road', but that's something which varies with everyones personal definition.
Agree that the Jeep Cherokee was always built to be an off-road vehicle, but I said Jeep Grand Cherokee which has always been a unibody design and built for comfort (relatively speaking).
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #65
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

oh ok. But I think still solid rear axle and such tech?
That is something we (in europe) associate with either off roading or really old stuff (as we havent seen solid driven rear axles here since the 60's or so, except on landrovers and stuff)
The x5/q7 and such cars all have (complicated) independant suspension (multilink etc), and in general suck off road and handle relatively well on road.

On another note, does anyone still associate audi with rust? Before they started galvanizing the bodys (back in the 80's) they were giant rustbuckets. I think the audi 200 was the last of the 'old audi's. But that's already 30 years ago.
In that era they were absolutely not on par with BMW and Mercedes imho

Last edited by GuidoK; 02-12-2016 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 03:21 PM   #66
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
OP works for audi and is collecting free data.

jk but maybe haha