BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 435 x drive msport

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
How to get into mechanic/repair jobs?

Hey everyone how's it going. I'm hoping I posted this in the right section. Always, recently I decided that i want to either get into a repair shop, or go to school a technical college like Lincoln Tech or UTI. I'm curious as to if any members on here who are mechanics, or have went to a training school for an automotive course, would have any recommendations on what steps I can take follow this path! Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

School school and school. You should be trying to achieve ASE master tech level.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 02:50 PM   #3
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
School school and school. You should be trying to achieve ASE master tech level.
Now is that anything like collision repair ASE, I went to a technical high school majoring in collision repair and I believe they still are there. I wouldn't know how to access them, but I do know I took the tests. Now do you know anything about like the BMW specific training like the STEP/FASTTRACK program, or similar programs for various manufactures, as in are they worth taking?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 03:02 PM   #4
longress
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

I'm in the industry and went to WyoTech. Most of the big schools regularly have their students that are recruited by STEP. They only want the best and the entrance requirements include GPA, an entrance exam, and an interview by the STEP recruiter. STEP is one of the best if not the best path out there. Once you graduate from a technical college you spend 4 months in the STEP program and then sign a contract with a BMW dealer. I'm friends with several successful graduates that have gone on to become shop forman and service managers. They make damn good money.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #5
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

It is not for everyone. It is a rough field. Your success will depend on a lot of variables. Unfortunately you will have no idea how much you will make until you start somewhere.
I recommend just finding work somewhere to see if it is something you want to do. The brand name tech schools cost quite a bit( when I went to UTI it was about $22kish). If you need to go to school, I would just check your local community college. Either way, the dealer will pay you to get your manufacturer certs. Dont think that you will be making bank after a STEP school or equivelant.
You can do well but you definitely work hard for your money. I love cars, but if I were to do it again I would have chosen a different field. The level of commitment is no joke in the automotive field as a tech.
If you are dead set then dont worry about the brand of car you work on. Just because a tech is working on a bmw, f car, p car, whatever it doesnt mean they make more money. I currently work on Hyundais and declined employement at the following: Tesla, acura, bmw, ferrari, porsche, etc. The top tech at ferrari made less than I did last year. Consider working on vehicles that require cdl for the government. Gov jobs have pensions and benefits that outweigh a typical dealership's flat rate pay in the long run. If you need to do the dealer gig, then work on an asian car. Become a diesel tech if you work on domestics.
If you plan on making any decent money you NEED to get good at diagnosing electrical and driveability problems. If you dont know your way around a wiring diagram, you are just another expendable wrench monkey.

Whatever you do, good luck. You can pm me for questions. Ive been an auto tech for 15 years, ASE master with l1. I do emissions and safety inspections. I was a toyota mdt and now currently a hyundai platinum/genesis tech. FWIW, a good tech is always in demand. I could quit where Im at and find a job tomorrow that will pay me about the same.
Appreciate 1
feuer4274.50
      09-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #6
longress
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I wouldn't go to a community college unless you do a good tour. Many of them are under funded and the instructors don't have work experience in the field. ^your experience might be the exception - the more money the car cost the more likely your going to make more money. BMW, Mercedes etc. techs make good money. I agree you work for your money in the automotive field and there are lots of variables outside your control like parts, amount and type of work that comes in the shop. There's a reason why this industry is in such a demand for techs and one of those reasons is that a lot of people don't want to work that hard. You will also end up with many thousands of dollars spent on tools and buying tools slows down but never ends.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #7
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by longress View Post
I'm in the industry and went to WyoTech. Most of the big schools regularly have their students that are recruited by STEP. They only want the best and the entrance requirements include GPA, an entrance exam, and an interview by the STEP recruiter. STEP is one of the best if not the best path out there. Once you graduate from a technical college you spend 4 months in the STEP program and then sign a contract with a BMW dealer. I'm friends with several successful graduates that have gone on to become shop forman and service managers. They make damn good money.
One of the schools I?ve looked at has an AUDI program, however the school I?m leaning towards doesn?t have a program that is by a manufacturer, however they do have a performance engine class, which I?ll be taking, is the STEP program or other equivalents something I can apply for if I wouldn?t get recruited? Or would I have to get a job at a dealer first and do it that way?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #8
iNeed135i
Registered
Rep
Drives: no car

School
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #9
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddots View Post
It is not for everyone. It is a rough field. Your success will depend on a lot of variables. Unfortunately you will have no idea how much you will make until you start somewhere.
I recommend just finding work somewhere to see if it is something you want to do. The brand name tech schools cost quite a bit( when I went to UTI it was about $22kish). If you need to go to school, I would just check your local community college. Either way, the dealer will pay you to get your manufacturer certs. Dont think that you will be making bank after a STEP school or equivelant.
You can do well but you definitely work hard for your money. I love cars, but if I were to do it again I would have chosen a different field. The level of commitment is no joke in the automotive field as a tech.
If you are dead set then dont worry about the brand of car you work on. Just because a tech is working on a bmw, f car, p car, whatever it doesnt mean they make more money. I currently work on Hyundais and declined employement at the following: Tesla, acura, bmw, ferrari, porsche, etc. The top tech at ferrari made less than I did last year. Consider working on vehicles that require cdl for the government. Gov jobs have pensions and benefits that outweigh a typical dealership's flat rate pay in the long run. If you need to do the dealer gig, then work on an asian car. Become a diesel tech if you work on domestics.
If you plan on making any decent money you NEED to get good at diagnosing electrical and driveability problems. If you dont know your way around a wiring diagram, you are just another expendable wrench monkey.

Whatever you do, good luck. You can pm me for questions. Ive been an auto tech for 15 years, ASE master with l1. I do emissions and safety inspections. I was a toyota mdt and now currently a hyundai platinum/genesis tech. FWIW, a good tech is always in demand. I could quit where Im at and find a job tomorrow that will pay me about the same.
Yeah the schools are expensive, I looked at a 60,000 photography school so the price is understandable, and I?m very interested in working in cars so I?m not worried about having the motivation so to speak! Now does a school like UTI or similar go over the electrical and all of the stuff I need to know?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #10
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep

They teach the basics.

I've shopped around my specific area, and it is not true that the high end techs always make more money.

You could be a diesel or transmission overhaul tech at Chrysler and make over $40 flat rate near me. You could work at Porsche and make $27. You could make $33 at Hyundai. The numbers are all over the place. I used to think you make more as the brand becomes more prestigious , but that isn't always the case. I know Mercedes techs can make over $120k near me but they worked at that specific dealer for well over a decade and work all day long. It took lots of years to MAYBE make 6 figures. Meanwhile a dummy at Honda can crank out timing belts and services all day and make 80k with very little investment in tools.

Your mileage may vary, but I've been doing this a while and I know people employed throughout my area. As a TECH , it is generally less stressful to work on Asian cars. You do not get compensated fairly enough for working on the euro cars unless it's a busy independent.

A BMW dealer tried to hire me when I had my e90 m3 in for throttle actuators under warranty a year ago.
Manager offered me less than I make at a Hyundai store! No thanks
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      09-20-2017, 08:27 PM   #11
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
They teach the basics.

I've shopped around my specific area, and it is not true that the high end techs always make more money.

You could be a diesel or transmission overhaul tech at Chrysler and make over $40 flat rate near me. You could work at Porsche and make $27. You could make $33 at Hyundai. The numbers are all over the place. I used to think you make more as the brand becomes more prestigious , but that isn't always the case. I know Mercedes techs can make over $120k near me but they worked at that specific dealer for well over a decade and work all day long. It took lots of years to MAYBE make 6 figures. Meanwhile a dummy at Honda can crank out timing belts and services all day and make 80k with very little investment in tools.

Your mileage may vary, but I've been doing this a while and I know people employed throughout my area. As a TECH , it is generally less stressful to work on Asian cars. You do not get compensated fairly enough for working on the euro cars unless it's a busy independent.

A BMW dealer tried to hire me when I had my e90 m3 in for throttle actuators under warranty a year ago.
Manager offered me less than I make at a Hyundai store! No thanks
Now When I would go look for a Job would I better at a dealership or an indie shop. I have a large amount of both around mei
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 09:32 PM   #12
longress
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

IMO you need to go to school. UTI has a reputation for being a diploma factory graduating kids with little to no knowledge. I've been in this industry for 30 years but I don't pretend to know everything but I'm good for an opinion

Check out WyoTech they have top notch instructors and facilities, cheaper than the competition, smaller class sizes, and more hands on. STEP recruits out of all the big schools so you reach out to the school of your choice and make sure they have a STEP recruiter coming to campus.

I have a lot of respect for independent repair facilities but dealerships have the newest and best training and Equipment plus better compensation and benefits. Dealers with any reputation don't hire techs without experience unless they've been to school.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #13
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My experience is dealership, but I know techs who also worked at independents. They seem to prefer working at a dealership. I think you will gain more experience working at a dealership because cars come in for warranty work. Independent shops tend to be less busy and do more "gravy" work, so you won't learn as much diagnostic. People like to take their cars to the cheaper indies for services, brakes, etc. If their car is under warranty, they'll take it back to the dealer.

I think the best case scenario for a new person would be a trainee working under a salary paid shop foreman. The alternative would be working as a quick service tech. That way you do work other than oil changes while you are still paid hourly. Also, be skeptical of everything. I've worked with many "masters", but only a handful I'd trust to work on my own cars. There are many parts swappers out there who cannot isolate issues with cars without hanging a new part on.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #14
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by longress View Post
IMO you need to go to school. UTI has a reputation for being a diploma factory graduating kids with little to no knowledge. I've been in this industry for 30 years but I don't pretend to know everything but I'm good for an opinion

Check out WyoTech they have top notch instructors and facilities, cheaper than the competition, smaller class sizes, and more hands on. STEP recruits out of all the big schools so you reach out to the school of your choice and make sure they have a STEP recruiter coming to campus.

I have a lot of respect for independent repair facilities but dealerships have the newest and best training and Equipment plus better compensation and benefits. Dealers with any reputation don't hire techs without experience unless they've been to school.
See the issue is wyo tech is very far for me (I?m in New England) so my options are somewhat limited plus I don?t want to move or anything like the 3 schools im look are within an hour drive of me.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #15
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Having gone to UTI, and STEP, now currently working in a dealership for 5+ yeas I would try to get hired on as a helper at a dealership/indy..UTI is extremely expensive even with financial aid, and IMO you really don't learn anything that could not be learn in the field. It helped me get to the position I am today in a relatively short period of time. But looking back, I would definitely change my approach, Just my opinion
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #16
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Tech View Post
Having gone to UTI, and STEP, now currently working in a dealership for 5+ yeas I would try to get hired on as a helper at a dealership/indy..UTI is extremely expensive even with financial aid, and IMO you really don't learn anything that could not be learn in the field. It helped me get to the position I am today in a relatively short period of time. But looking back, I would definitely change my approach, Just my opinion
I would definitely keep that in mind! I did a search on local indy's and dealers and they don't seem to want to have unexperienced help in there to learn with the exception of a like Goodyear tire shop or similar.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #17
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhenault View Post
I would definitely keep that in mind! I did a search on local indy's and dealers and they don't seem to want to have unexperienced help in there to learn with the exception of a like Goodyear tire shop or similar.
Do you know how to wrench? What DIY's have you done?
Keeping a log and portfolio can help you land a entry level tech position.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #18
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Quote:
Do you know how to wrench? What DIY's have you done?
Keeping a log and portfolio can help you land a entry level tech position.
I?m yet to do really anything besides maintenance stuff, plugs, coils, oil change and I did the n52 Airbox mod, but that is a good idea to keep a log I didn?t really think of that.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #19
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Perhaps apply for lot attendant, to get your foot in the door..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #20
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
My experience is dealership, but I know techs who also worked at independents. They seem to prefer working at a dealership. I think you will gain more experience working at a dealership because cars come in for warranty work. Independent shops tend to be less busy and do more "gravy" work, so you won't learn as much diagnostic. People like to take their cars to the cheaper indies for services, brakes, etc. If their car is under warranty, they'll take it back to the dealer.

I think the best case scenario for a new person would be a trainee working under a salary paid shop foreman. The alternative would be working as a quick service tech. That way you do work other than oil changes while you are still paid hourly. Also, be skeptical of everything. I've worked with many "masters", but only a handful I'd trust to work on my own cars. There are many parts swappers out there who cannot isolate issues with cars without hanging a new part on.
Dealership is good if you want to learn. When the independents can't figure out a car, it gets sent to us. You work on it till it's fixed, period. Even if it takes a full week to find an issue.

Agree on the parts swappers. There are many techs that I work with that I would not let touch any car of mine. Those guys are also the highest paid here, they are here strictly to make money.

I can't be any help with you getting started, it is quite different here in Canada. But we actually get paid by the gov't to go to school for our apprenticeship.

Also plan on spending some coin on tools, mine are worth about $70k.

Also agree on the high end does not equal higher pay. Around here, most shops pay about the same flat rate, Audi is a straight time shop though. The higher end you go, the more electrical bullshit you are diagnosing/tracing etc etc etc. You are making straight time doing electrical diag, that is a shitty way to try and make a living. Simpler the better.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 09-21-2017 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #21
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Dealership is good if you want to learn. When the independents can't figure out a car, it gets sent to us. You work on it till it's fixed, period. Even if it takes a full week to find an issue.

Agree on the parts swappers. There are many techs that I work with that I would not let touch any car of mine. Those guys are also the highest paid here, they are here strictly to make money.

I can't be any help with you getting started, it is quite different here in Canada. But we actually get paid by the gov't to go to school for our apprenticeship.

Also agree on the high end does not equal higher pay. Around here, most shops pay about the same flat rate, Audi is a straight time shop though. The higher end you go, the more electrical bullshit you are diagnosing/tracing etc etc etc. You are making straight time doing electrical diag, that is a shitty way to try and make a living. Simpler the better.
If you are willing to go past the "b" level, you will get good at electrical problems. Even a lowly Kia/Hyundai will have the same issues as a benz. Eventually you will get to the point where your employer WILL compensate you for the time you lose with those jobs.
I find it easier to negotiate a base pay(ex: 100 hours per pay period). It is that in between phase that can be painful, but you will make it work out if you know how to deal with the owner/service manager.

Tools!!!
You don't need to spend the big bucks on snap on, but eventually you will appreciate some of their hand tools.

I have a snap on box that is worth more than almost all the cars I work on. And that doesn't include what is INSIDE!!!! Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #22
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post

If you are willing to go past the "b" level, you will get good at electrical problems. Even a lowly Kia/Hyundai will have the same issues as a benz. Eventually you will get to the point where your employer WILL compensate you for the time you lose with those jobs.
I find it easier to negotiate a base pay(ex: 100 hours per pay period). It is that in between phase that can be painful, but you will make it work out if you know how to deal with the owner/service manager.

Tools!!!
You don't need to spend the big bucks on snap on, but eventually you will appreciate some of their hand tools.

I have a snap on box that is worth more than almost all the cars I work on. And that doesn't include what is INSIDE!!!! Lol
Ya, nobody in this city gets a minimum pay. Flat rat, period. Out of work? Go home with your two hours. My point with the higher end stuff is that there are twice as many modules on the networks, so there is twice as much problems chasing networks pulled to ground or completely dead. I made more money working at Honda than Acura, but I left due to politics and the shop was not air conditioned. Would be so exhausted after a good day I would not even eat dinner and just collapse in bed.

Luckily my tool cabinets are supplied, we have all built in boxes/cabinets. Sucks because it limits the amount of tools I can fit in them, but, I don't have to pay for them.

Having lunch and probably headed home. Luckily I made my 12 already this morning doing a CPO.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 09-21-2017 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0