BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #1475
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Border crossing today time to stock up at duty free
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 09:11 PM   #1476
mperfct
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I think Oban or Lagavulin would be good to try, Caol Ila is also a bit less peaty, IIRC; if you can find the Oban Little Bay it is one of my new finds. Lagavulin 16 is one of the top tiers in e/b book, but their new 8yo is also very nice.

I tend to prefer anything 'non-chill filtered' when possible (or they will warn that it will cloud with ice - same thing). The chill filtering takes out some proteins that add flavor. And adding a dash of water is also crucial (usually just a few cc's), and something it took getting used to; most other spirits I prefer straight, even Bourbon seems to just wash out. With Scotch the water does something to activate flavors, so to me much improved - you can actually see it if you hold it up to the light.
I'm not much of scotch drinker at this point, but I thought your comment was timely since I just read this a couple of days ago: http://lifehacker.com/scientists-pro...ste-1797988221

Someday I'll get into scotches. There is just so much good stuff out there and I'm just feeling my way around the bourbons and ryes!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 09:21 PM   #1477
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Got some crown limited, knob creek, and makers
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 09:32 PM   #1478
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I prefer seltzer to tap water in Scotch and bourbon. Maybe it's the aeration that releases flavor. Not sure why, but even club soda works better than tap water for me.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #1479
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Prefer just ice, but not drinking again for a while
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 09:46 PM   #1480
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Apple Crown, 1800 Silver, Jameson, and some Dewers.
      08-21-2017, 07:44 AM   #1481
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperfct View Post
I'm not much of scotch drinker at this point, but I thought your comment was timely since I just read this a couple of days ago: http://lifehacker.com/scientists-pro...ste-1797988221

Someday I'll get into scotches. There is just so much good stuff out there and I'm just feeling my way around the bourbons and ryes!
Very cool article, thanks. Helps explain why it is a factor for some more than others - I find some types need a lot, but with others you can rapidly hit a 'too much' point and they become diluted tasting. I've also heard that too much alcohol stuns your taste buds, but I seldom dilute down enough that it would matter for that.

And you may want to try some of the cask-strength bourbons - Knob Creek and Wild Turkey are two that I like a lot better than their standard bottlings (but I'm not much of a bourbon/rye afficianado, I just found a few I like for those times I want s/t different from Scotch).
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 08:01 AM   #1482
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Only been a scotch drinker for about 9-10 months now...coming off my vodka and rum train.

Not sure if I'm ready for a heavy peated just yet...finding most of my stash if from the highlands.

What would a good intermediate be to try?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry989 View Post
To get started with lightly peated Scotch, try some of these:
  • Highland Park 15 or 18 Year Old
  • Bowmore 18 Year Old
  • Caol Ila
  • Oban 14 or 18 Year Old
  • Springbank 15 Year Old (I love this one!)

Another of my favorite regions is Speyside with distilleries such as these:
  • Almost anything from Mortlach
  • Aberlour (Especially A'bunadh or the 18 Year Old)
  • Craigellachie
  • Longmorn

I would not try the Aberlour A'bunadh unless you plan to significantly dilute. It is quite strong. I'm not used to diluting any of my scotches so it was a new experience for me. But still, it will not be in my rotation.

I would say Ardbeg is arguably lightly peated...ok, maybe medium. But it is the way they balance the scotch that makes the peat not overpowering.

I don't think I've met anything from Macallan that I haven't liked, and although it isn't peated at all, a new one that I've taken a liking to is called "Ancnoc". I would say it is a crisper / almost sweeter scotch - also from the highlands. If you can get it, I'd look into it.

It's about $80 up here, so probably $40 down there because...well I don't really know. It's not like the transportation costs are exponentially higher. I suspect its our government taking a healthy cut.
Appreciate 1
ShopVac4020.00
      08-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #1483
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Agreed, the A'bunadh will kick your butt if you're not careful.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #1484
Terry989
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X1 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Agreed, the A'bunadh will kick your butt if you're not careful.
I always dilute my A'bunadh. I have a lot of Scotch's between 50 and 68% alcohol. I always try them first without adding water, but almost all in this alcohol range need water and benefit from it.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #1485
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry989 View Post
I always dilute my A'bunadh. I have a lot of Scotch's between 50 and 68% alcohol. I always try them first without adding water, but almost all in this alcohol range need water and benefit from it.
Agreed. And in that respect, a bottle of A'bunadh can last awhile.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #1486
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

I don't ever drink much less buy anything that is not pleasant to sip or drink straight.

Way too many fantastic spirits available for that.
      08-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #1487
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I don't ever drink much less buy anything that is not pleasant to sip or drink straight.

Way too many fantastic spirits available for that.
Ignoring cask or navy strength is just silly. Many, if not most of the better spirits are not conveniently diluted to 80 proof.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 02:22 PM   #1488
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Ignoring cask or navy strength is just silly. Many, if not most of the better spirits are not conveniently diluted to 80 proof.
Whatever butters your toast.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      08-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #1489
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I think Oban or Lagavulin would be good to try, Caol Ila is also a bit less peaty, IIRC; if you can find the Oban Little Bay it is one of my new finds. Lagavulin 16 is one of the top tiers in e/b book, but their new 8yo is also very nice.

I tend to prefer anything 'non-chill filtered' when possible (or they will warn that it will cloud with ice - same thing). The chill filtering takes out some proteins that add flavor. And adding a dash of water is also crucial (usually just a few cc's), and something it took getting used to; most other spirits I prefer straight, even Bourbon seems to just wash out. With Scotch the water does something to activate flavors, so to me much improved - you can actually see it if you hold it up to the light.
I think lagavulin 16 is excellent but heavily peated for a newbie. I would try Highland Park 12 or 15 for an intro to this wonderful world. More smokey than peaty, and light at that, but a nice introduction nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #1490
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That wasn't a knock on you or anyone that prefers said stronger spirits. I've tried my fair share. of those too. And I guess after going through countless glasses and bottles over the years, my palate (and stomach) prefers smooth over strength.
      08-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #1491
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That wasn't a knock on you or anyone that prefers said stronger spirits. I've tried my fair share. of those too. And I guess after going through countless glasses and bottles over the years, my palate (and stomach) prefers smooth over strength.
Just saying that a stronger bottle, cut to 40% typically has a nicer flavor. In other words, you adding the water is nicer and typically cheaper than paying the distiller to do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 07:33 AM   #1492
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Trust me, a little water with one of these original cask-strength bottlings will be the best of both worlds (A'bunadh is one of the very best, IMHO, but there are many others starting to emerge as people catch on). If you don't water down the high-proof varieties they will stun your taste buds (this effect is universal, I think, across all spirits). Scotch also has a fairly unique 'activation' with water that really brings out more of the flavor - you are cheating yourself if you don't try them this way to see how you feel about it. Just a dash at first 'til you find the right amount - I don't usually dilute these back to 90 proof.

Quote:
Just saying that a stronger bottle, cut to 40% typically has a nicer flavor. In other words, you adding the water is nicer and typically cheaper than paying the distiller to do it.
And this is the bottom line - you are already drinking 'watered down' spirits, you just have the distillery adding the water, so you don't get to decide how much.
Appreciate 1
mperfct35.00
      08-22-2017, 09:38 AM   #1493
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Casamigos anejofor the last half a year or so.
      08-24-2017, 04:18 PM   #1494
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I just had 2 Old Fasioned with rye: Templeton and Deckel. Templeton is far better! I think better than the previous Bulleitt as well
      08-24-2017, 04:27 PM   #1495
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I just had 2 Old Fasioned with rye: Templeton and Deckel. Templeton is far better! I think better than the previous Bulleitt as well
Technically, Dickel, Bulleit and Templeton should all taste the same, they're all made from MGP base stock.

http://www.whiskeyprof.com/rye-whisk...eburg-indiana/
Appreciate 1
M_Six16532.00
      08-24-2017, 05:31 PM   #1496
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Technically, Dickel, Bulleit and Templeton should all taste the same, they're all made from MGP base stock.

http://www.whiskeyprof.com/rye-whisk...eburg-indiana/
Sure kick me while I'm buzzed on Thursday afternoon

Stock might be same but flavor of Templeton was better

Doesn't Templeton also make the rum???