BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-20-2017, 04:32 AM   #199
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon BMW

Thanks for all opinions!

I still have a good feeling about Columbus. I'm drawn to it for a few reasons, and the main one is the people. Second is affordability and job market. Seems to have a lot going on atm and I need a job when I get there more than anything.
Also, the weather and location seems great. For example, Columbus gets 500+ hours of sunshine more than Stockholm. (check this out http://www.columbus.climatemps.com/vs/stockholm.php ) There's a lot of cities and amenities nearby. Coming from a rural town out in the woods I think I will be kept busy for a long time. Just being able to watch an NHL team is huge for me.

I met one person that said it has all the perks of a big city with none of the drawbacks. I understand that's slightly exaggerated but still.. I find that tempting

I still want to visit Dallas, Raleigh and SoCal (just because I've never been there)
And hopefully I can take a trip for a few weeks to visit all the places that I find interesting, but I will start with Columbus.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #200
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
how about slightly exaggerated depending on your locale
People think everywhere in Orange County is like $600+ per sq foot expensive. However, there are many places to live in Orange County that would be suitable for most income levels.

Picking the most exclusive and expensive place to live in any region in the US can be expensive. Not everywhere is Laguna Beach ($1,000 per sq. ft.) expensive

Yes, ES Costa Mesa, Newport (+Coast), Laguna Beach, and Coto are expensive, but the others are pretty doable. (One just needs to learn to like their neighbors because the neighbors will be very, very close)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #201
Reggie_2005
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

Move to Cleveland.

We are the best city. ever.

— Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 11:52 PM   #202
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie_2005 View Post
Move to Cleveland.

We are the best city. ever.
Sure, but why?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 06:35 AM   #203
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Some advice for you below-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senilsson View Post

EDIT: Weather:
Ideally mild weather. I hate snow just as much as super hot humid weather. Sure, it can be fine a month or two but long periods of extreme weather is nothing I desire. With that said, I prefer sun over snow since I'm used to cold, dark weather from October - May.

I would discount the entire Northeast / Midwest / Southwest and Florida if you want relatively mild weather. The Northeast and Midwest can get very serious winters for an extended amount of time... The Southwest and Florida are very hot for an extended amount of time. Most would agree that Southern California has the best climate in the country... Think San Diego, LA.

Terrain and surroundings:
I'm not the "active" type that loves to skii, hike and go live in a tent for a week and a beach isn't necessary for me either, not for living anyway. If the weather is fair and there's parks etc in the city that's more than enough for me.

A lot of cities in the nation fit this description.

Political:
This one is difficult since I have no clue what it means living in a blue or red state/city.
I have no idea what to expect from people, are republicans religious nutjobs and are democrats marxists!? Slightly exaggerated but I've yet to see some balanced opinions.
I'm quite reserved and conservative myself in some areas and very liberal in others, I guess that means I should live in a 50/50 voter state..

Stay away from California, Oregon, Texas, Washington State, the entire Northeast and the rural South if you do not want political extremes.

Taxes:
Don't care. I live in a country with the second highest taxes in the world which has it's up and downs. Other things matter more in this case.

Major towns will have higher taxes... the Northeast and California will hurt you more in terms of taxes than anywhere else. Florida and Texas have a massive advantage in that they do not have state income tax, so as a percentage of salary, you will take more home.

Guns:
I don't want to die. No guns then?

Guns in the USA are protected by the 2nd amendment.... technically anyone anywhere can have a gun... Certain major cities and California have very strict rules to discourage gun ownership, but it's still possible. Gun crime happens everywhere, as does responsible gun ownership. Everyone here could potenially have a gun.

Housing cost:
I would need to rent an apartment to begin with. I don't know how much the rent differs from city to city but I'll bring enough money to buy a new 3-series and hope that money lasts until I can get a job.

Lowest probably in the South, lower in smaller markets.

Cost of living:
Same as above. I'm used to plan my economy and never live above my assets. As long as I find a decent job I don't see a problem with paying extra.

Here is where I would stay away from, in terms of cost of living... what you will make will not offset cost of living.

California
DC
NYC
Chicago
Northwest (Seattle, Portland etc)
Miami

Here is where I would live in terms of cost of living-

Florida, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina

Remember, the larger more expensive areas will allow you to find better paying jobs but will more than likely not offset the cost of living.

People:
This is one of the most important things. I hope to make friends of course, despite my accent and the fact that it would take some time before my english gets more fluent. I can hold my own in a conversation but I lack in quickness, if you understand?
I don't think the language will be a problem after a few months, but I just need to get a foot in somewhere.

This will be easier in larger cities, especially ones that have a larger foreign population. The rural areas, deep South etc would not be a good idea on that one. Albeit, people in Larger cities are generally not friendly. This is a super tough one to answer.

City or suburbs:
Definately city or at close proximity! I have lived in a small town my whole life and am tired of it.
Somewhere around 250 000 and up is a number I guess..
I do care about the city not feeling run-down or worn tho. I like clean and modern enviroments.

250,000 probably doesn't even qualify as a mid size market in the US, so this wouldn't be an issue almost anywhere you lived.

Nightlife:
I'm not out partying every weekend and it's not my biggest interest. I think any city is fine honestly. Drugs and violence - no thanks.

Activities/Hobbies
I like to explore a little bit of everything! I'm curious as a person.
Main interest must be hockey and cars tho. I follow the NHL every day and would love to get the opportunity to live close to an AHL or NHL team.
Cars isn't too hard to figure out since I'm here. But I don't want to work on my own car neither do I feel the need to go to a racetrack or a car meet.

As any other guy in their mid 20's I like to travel, work out, fiddle with new stuff, meet new people and what not.

More interesting things will be found in larger cities... Hockey will be largest in the Northeast.

This ain't easy but I hope it helps!
As you can see from my answers above, the USA is a very large country that varies from area to area, there really are no easy answers to anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #204
JerryW235
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i; 2021 X3 M40i

If you are open to the south, you may want to consider South Carolina. I read some posts in this thread mentioning NC, but did not see any on SC. The Greenville - Spartanburg area is really growing, lots of automotive industry related jobs, including BMW and Michelin, along with a lot of related suppliers. I did see that you'd like to try something different though. Within a few hours you have the ocean, mountains and snow in NC (Asheville), a number of lakes, and only a few hours from larger cities like Charlotte and Atlanta.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #205
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau_Rouge111 View Post
Agreed...all jokes aside...the Toronto area....great place to live
OP hates snow
      08-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #206
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW235 View Post
If you are open to the south, you may want to consider South Carolina. I read some posts in this thread mentioning NC, but did not see any on SC. The Greenville - Spartanburg area is really growing, lots of automotive industry related jobs, including BMW and Michelin, along with a lot of related suppliers. I did see that you'd like to try something different though. Within a few hours you have the ocean, mountains and snow in NC (Asheville), a number of lakes, and only a few hours from larger cities like Charlotte and Atlanta.
Greenville, SC is a great area and actually has European ppl there because of the BMW plant. Lots of ppl move there from Northeast as well (NYC).
Its about 1-2hour drive from Charlotte which has all the sports teams, concert, nightlife of any big city.

If i was starting from scratch- it would be tops on my list.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #207
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
+1 on Greenville. Great town with a great atmosphere!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 06:39 PM   #208
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Currently living in South Florida. Originally from Toronto. Ill take the heat for 2 months vs the cold for 6-7. Florida has alot but no mountains or good driving roads.

Imo, you have to take everyones opinions with a grain of salt. You need to experience it for yourself to really truly know.

Perhaps try looking for a job and seeing where that takes you. Look to see if Apex is hiring. Im sure with your experience they might hire you. They are in Atlanta i believe. Start somewhere if you dont like it, try someone else. Once here it'll be much easier and you can go around and visit places.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 06:24 AM   #209
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Some advice for you below-

As you can see from my answers above, the USA is a very large country that varies from area to area, there really are no easy answers to anything.
Appreciate the time you put into this. I understand there's no such thing as a perfect place and compromises are needed but hopefully I can find something relatively suitable for me.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Greenville, SC is a great area and actually has European ppl there because of the BMW plant. Lots of ppl move there from Northeast as well (NYC).
Its about 1-2hour drive from Charlotte which has all the sports teams, concert, nightlife of any big city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
Thanks, that's a great tip!
I'll add that on my list for potential visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Currently living in South Florida. Originally from Toronto. Ill take the heat for 2 months vs the cold for 6-7. Florida has alot but no mountains or good driving roads.

Imo, you have to take everyones opinions with a grain of salt. You need to experience it for yourself to really truly know.

Perhaps try looking for a job and seeing where that takes you. Look to see if Apex is hiring. Im sure with your experience they might hire you. They are in Atlanta i believe. Start somewhere if you dont like it, try someone else. Once here it'll be much easier and you can go around and visit places.
Yea, for sure. I have to trust my gut and visit each place to see what's what.

It would be very convenient to have a job waiting for me when I get over but I need to collect my green card first and without that I can't really apply for a job.
So my plan is to find a place first. Get an apartment, get all my papers in order and to settle in the first weeks.
Hopefully I can make some connections and practice the language a bit and after that get a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
OP hates snow
I don't hate snow, but I wouldn't miss it.
And I can't move to Canada.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #210
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
Quote:
Advantage to Raleigh, Charlotte, Greenville/Spartanburg:

These cities have been rapidly growing over the last several years. This means most people in these cities came from someplace else.

This means it is much easier to get to know people (few established cliques), and people are generally more open and friendly.

If you go to a small town you may find the "You're not from around here, are you" treatment. In RDU/CLT/GSP you get the "where are you from?" friendliness. Big difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #211
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
Advantage to Raleigh, Charlotte, Greenville/Spartanburg:

These cities have been rapidly growing over the last several years. This means most people in these cities came from someplace else.

This means it is much easier to get to know people (few established cliques), and people are generally more open and friendly.

If you go to a small town you may find the "You're not from around here, are you" treatment. In RDU/CLT/GSP you get the "where are you from?" friendliness. Big difference.
Good point. Coming from a small town I know exactly what you mean.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #212
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
People think everywhere in Orange County is like $600+ per sq foot expensive. However, there are many places to live in Orange County that would be suitable for most income levels.

Picking the most exclusive and expensive place to live in any region in the US can be expensive. Not everywhere is Laguna Beach ($1,000 per sq. ft.) expensive

Yes, ES Costa Mesa, Newport (+Coast), Laguna Beach, and Coto are expensive, but the others are pretty doable. (One just needs to learn to like their neighbors because the neighbors will be very, very close)
I have friends who live in Santa Ana and Anaheim. They seem like affordable neighborhoods. Definitely did not see anything that made me think it was a expensive area.
      08-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #213
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post

I can get behind this. Greenville is a beautiful place. It's one of the only places that I could consider moving to outside of so cal.

OP - can also recommend so cal as it checks a lot of your boxes. But bring money. It can be expensive around here. If you want cheaper move more inland. 15 miles from the ocean can be 40% cheaper to live, if not more.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 01:47 PM   #214
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I have friends who live in Santa Ana and Anaheim. They seem like affordable neighborhoods. Definitely did not see anything that made me think it was a expensive area.
Santa Ana is pretty nasty.. Anaheim although not as bad, it's very industrial/business, but yes if you're looking for reasonable rates, that's where you need to be
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #215
OlBloo
Where to next........
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
You apparently have never been to a third world country. There are no places in the US I have been to, let alone around the midwest that would even come close to comparing to a third world country. Where exactly in the midwest have you lived? I will venture a guess at nowhere.
Key statement, no place you have ever been. There are people literally living in metal shacks throughout the country which would rival that of Afghanistan, the Philippines etc. Not nearly to the same scale but it is there.
I never said I lived in these communities. Through my line of work, I've been exposed to a very different side of America.

And to reiterate, the Midwest is the worst. Unemployment is high, the opioid/fentanyl epidemic is ripping through communities, there's nothing to do, the average citizen's mental and physical health is poor. The Midwest is just a god-awful place to live compared to the rest of the US. If you want a farm, then okay you will probably enjoy it.

Last edited by OlBloo; 08-22-2017 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #216
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

For what it's worth, I live near the Nashville, TN area. Most everyone around here is very polite and we have mild (mostly warm) weather most of the year. The jobless rate is nationally low in Williamson County (south side of Nashville) and it's a generally nice place to live. We'd love you have you! Make sure to check out the Nashville area.

-Sam
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #217
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlBloo View Post
Key statement, no place you have ever been. There are people literally living in metal shacks throughout the country which would rival that of Afghanistan, the Philippines etc. Not nearly to the same scale but it is there.
I never said I lived in these communities. Through my line of work, I've been exposed to a very different side of America.

And to reiterate, the Midwest is the worst. Unemployment is high, the opioid/fentanyl epidemic is ripping through communities, there's nothing to do, the average citizen's mental and physical health is poor. The Midwest is just a god-awful place to live compared to the rest of the US. If you want a farm, then okay you will probably enjoy it.
Where exactly are you talking about? I live and travel around here quite extensively and have never seen what you are talking about (any of it actually).

I am still of the opinion you have no idea what you are talking about since you can't seem to provide a single example. I've traveled for pleasure and for work quite a bit and can honestly say there is no place in the US that is that bad (unless you are counting places right after a tornado/hurricane/etc. has occurred)

edit: just a quick search of 2017 studies still leaves me scratching my head.
AEC Foundation puts Iowa in top 5 states to raise a family: http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/13/health...ren/index.html
US News and World Report puts Iowa in top 10: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/28/here...-for-2017.html

Unemployment rates don't look bad unless you count OH and TN (I wouldn't judge the entire Midwest on 2 fringe states personally): https://www.bls.gov/web/laus/mstrtcr2.pdf

Opioid death rates look more like an east coast thing (again TN and OH are abnormally high for midwest): http://www.kff.org/

It took me 20 minutes to dispel all the BS you're spewing.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded

Last edited by Hawkeye; 08-22-2017 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 09:58 PM   #218
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Santa Ana is in transition. I wonder if this economy will have enough in it to keep pushing Santa Ana's transition over the hurdle to be a bit pricier. The downtown area started to get more hipster with some coffee and foodie spots, however, it's still fighting stigma and some internal issues. Santa Ana does have Floral Park which is very expensive and sought after.

Anaheim has pockets and a bit of variation as well. The location is pretty central and they are starting to have some attractive features. (Anaheim Packing District, the downtown area and nice new condos)

Personally, I prefer more south orange county where Palm Trees thrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #219
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Living in a shitty part of CA is the worst of all worlds, you are going to be in a dirty, crime ridden craphole but still have the insane cost of living that the retards in SF and LA vote to increase every chance they get.

Much better to look at neighbouring states or even some others suggested than slum it in a garbage strewn favela or meth town were you still have 10% sales tax and insane gas, income, etc taxes to make cost of living crippling

My million dollar bay area house was 5 mins away from the worst, most ferral and violent people in the state and it wasn't safe for my wife to even get gas by herself near our house
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 10:32 PM   #220
Ritter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 335is

After reading your original post I was going to suggest Columbus Ohio. I see through the following post that happens to be where you are greatly considering. Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0