BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

11-26-2023, 03:40 PM   #1
Budsy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 7 Series Active Hybrid

7 Series Change Country from Japan to UK

Hi I am new to the forum so please be gentle. Just imported a 2013 Active 7 Hybrid from Japan to the UK and now in process of changing the Sat Nav and possibly coding the dash with an MPH display if possible.
The speedo face is currently a kmh only face so I am torn a little as to which way to proceed. I have had 25 years of importing from Japan and very used to the Toyota and Nissan market but this is my first BMW from Japan and it is in perfect order so dont want to spoil it.
Have changed the language settings so all now in English

I have read conflicting advice about the dashboard....it has HU display so do I

A. Keep the original dashboard and find a code to include an MPH readout on the dash and maybe change the fixed face to a combined KMH and MPH speedo

If so any advice on which file or files to use ? I have read that there is one file which covers the UK rather than changing multiple codes.....

I have just purchased some coding leads and software so hopefully this will work...any advice aqppreciated on the coding

B Do I change to a virgin dash with mph readout.....As it is hybrid does this dashboard differ to the standard F series dashboards so would lose some of the hybrid lights and functionality? Not sure if it has to be Hybrid specific dash

C I have just tried updating the maps by plugging into the only usb i can find ...in centre console but it will not recognise the USB I was hoping to change the continent or do I need to code anything first to change the Nav settings....?

Any help or advice really appreciated
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 10:10 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

You could have 3 different instrument clusters...which one do you have? If you don't know...have you pulled your VIN decode sheet, yet? If not, try one of these two sites...put in your 17 digit VIN (its free...so don't fall for the spam links that offer the info for pay):
If you have the 6WA/6WB (semi-digital / all-digital cluster)...you can change the scale of the speedometer in iDrive...just go into SETTINGS and look for UNITS/LANGUAGE.

But if you don't have the MPH 6WA cluster...you may have to swap.

Help us help you better..post pics so that we can see what you're working with.

If you have either of these two clusters (MPH 6WA or 6WB)...you can change language and unit of scale in iDrive:

6WA - power off

6WA - power on

6WB - power off

6WB - power on (showing all 3 selections: Comfort Mode/Sport Mode/Eco-Pro Mode)

iDrive Setting to select Language & unit of scale if you have a digital instrument cluster:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-27-2023 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 12:53 PM   #3
Budsy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 7 Series Active Hybrid

Hi thanks for this It actually has the 6WA speedometer with Kilometer option 548 off the spec sheet
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 03:26 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Since you have the S548a (6WA) cluster which only has a gauge for KM/H...you may have to code the cluster to gain MPH.

The 5/6/7 F chassis BMWs all use the same clusters basic/6WA/6WB...so you can expand your search on those forums to see what European owners have done in the past to change their dedicated KM/H clusters to gain MPH gauge.

Good luck.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-27-2023 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 01:09 PM   #5
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsy View Post
Hi I am new to the forum so please be gentle. Just imported a 2013 Active 7 Hybrid from Japan to the UK and now in process of changing the Sat Nav and possibly coding the dash with an MPH display if possible.
The speedo face is currently a kmh only face so I am torn a little as to which way to proceed. I have had 25 years of importing from Japan and very used to the Toyota and Nissan market but this is my first BMW from Japan and it is in perfect order so dont want to spoil it.
Have changed the language settings so all now in English

I have read conflicting advice about the dashboard....it has HU display so do I

A. Keep the original dashboard and find a code to include an MPH readout on the dash and maybe change the fixed face to a combined KMH and MPH speedo

If so any advice on which file or files to use ? I have read that there is one file which covers the UK rather than changing multiple codes.....

I have just purchased some coding leads and software so hopefully this will work...any advice aqppreciated on the coding

B Do I change to a virgin dash with mph readout.....As it is hybrid does this dashboard differ to the standard F series dashboards so would lose some of the hybrid lights and functionality? Not sure if it has to be Hybrid specific dash

C I have just tried updating the maps by plugging into the only usb i can find ...in centre console but it will not recognise the USB I was hoping to change the continent or do I need to code anything first to change the Nav settings....?

Any help or advice really appreciated
Better get esys to do this. Remove 548 from the FA and vo code the cluster and headunit. This should be able to fix the units. For navigation you need to patch the unit to be able to use Europe maps.
Appreciate 0