BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-22-2008, 11:31 PM   #23
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

First of all, as a general rule, don't buy watches by fashion designers. They have cheap movements, or are quartz. I'd buy a watch that was either automatic or manual, and stay away from the quartz movements. Try an Omega speedy. For most watch enthusiasts it'll get more respect than the Tag's will, and it be more unique, with more history. Tags can be considered a high end fashion watch, IMO, akin to Movado. There are exceptions of course.

Last edited by radix; 11-22-2008 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 11:39 PM   #24
xrayos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 AW/BLK

#3 looks like a Omega Speedmaster.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 11:50 PM   #25
RonJon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2000 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmcguire View Post
First of all, as a general rule, don't but watches by fashion designers. They have cheap movements, or are quartz. I'd buy a watch that was either automatic or manual, and stay away from the quartz movements. Try an Omega speedy. For most watch enthusiasts it'll get more respect than the Tag's will, and it be more unique, with more history. Tags can be considered a high end fashion watch, IMO, akin to Movado. There are exceptions of course.

I am not a watch aficionado but I dont think anyone that has a little bit of knowledge of watches will compare a Tag to a Movado. To me the Tag is a BMW and Movado is a Benz.

I do agree with your rule of staying away from designer watches.

From your knowledge/experience does Omega keep better time then the Tag? Most sites that I've looked at always praise both and non really say anything bad about either. (not talking about quartz of course).

I think Tag gets the main-stream image because of their advertising, which doesn't necessarily make it a lesser quality, or fashion watch.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 11:57 PM   #26
radix
No_Country
Rep

BTW, I'm not saying all Heuers are bad. Here's some quick history on the speedy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonwatch

As a former speedy owner, I'd recommend getting a NASA strap and taking the bracelet off the watch and setting it aside. Because of the different finishes for the different parts of the bracelet it's extremely difficult to buff out scratches/refurbish. Given the history of the watch, a NASA strap would be entirely appropriate. The bracelet itself runs $600 - $700 to replace.

If you have a speedy, and don't follow this advice the brushed metal on the clasp can be cheaply refurbished using a green scotch-brite pad. The crystal is made of hesalite plastic, and although it scratches more easily than sapphire, it's far easier to repair. Scratches in the crystal can be gently polished out using Maas metal polish.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 12:14 AM   #27
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJon View Post
I am not a watch aficionado but I dont think anyone that has a little bit of knowledge of watches will compare a Tag to a Movado. To me the Tag is a BMW and Movado is a Benz.

I do agree with your rule of staying away from designer watches.

From your knowledge/experience does Omega keep better time then the Tag? Most sites that I've looked at always praise both and non really say anything bad about either. (not talking about quartz of course).

I think Tag gets the main-stream image because of their advertising, which doesn't necessarily make it a lesser quality, or fashion watch.
The Heuer = BMW/ Movado = Benz analogy really doesn't work. The Heuer F1 has a quartz movement. Any quartz will keep better time that an automatic or manual, all day, every day. I'd argue that really is not the issue when buying such a watch. The automatic/manual will drift a couple of seconds each day compared to the quartz, but the overall quality of the watch will generally not be as refined. If you want a quartz watch, by all means buy the F1.

The carrera uses an Heuer caliber 16 movement, based off of the Valjoux 7750 movement which is more common than the movement in the speedy.

The speedy uses the Lemania 1874/Omega 1861 movement.

http://www.ofrei.com/page624.html

Personally, although the speedy is a manual, I still consider it to be more watch for the money.

Last edited by radix; 11-23-2008 at 04:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 12:21 AM   #28
Interlude
Rep
Drives: a car

I know a place that will sell a brand new Carrera for approximately $2K.

edit: no tax if you pay cash. Authorized Tag Heuer dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 12:24 AM   #29
radix
No_Country
Rep

Gray market speedies you can get for $1800-$2000. White market speedies will go for $2200-$2400 IIRC. The difference between the two is a two year warranty. Personally, I've always bought gray market where possible, these watches were built to last. YMMV, and there's a risk buying gray market of course.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 07:43 AM   #30
RonJon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Gray market speedies you can get for $1800-$2000. White market speedies will go for $2200-$2400 IIRC. The difference between the two is a two year warranty. Personally, I've always bought gray market where possible, these watches were built to last. YMMV, and there's a risk buying gray market of course.
You seem like you know a thing or two about watches.

What makes the Speedy movement superior to the Carrera?

I've been looking in the for sale forum @ watchuseek.com and some people are mentioning percentages, I think they are refering to how well the watch keeps time. I mite be wrong on this but some of them are only rated 95%-87% which is bad in my opnion for a $2000 watch. I have a feeling that I am wrong / misinformed so please shed some light on this.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #31
easyman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Tag carrera
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #32
chicagolab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 2006 TiAg

Omega Seamaster , Quartz model if you want to save money. Get tons of compliments from friends with more expensive watches. Buy from an authorized dealer

E90 330i | Titanium Silver | Black/Aluminum | Step | Idrive | Sunshades | PDC | Heated Seats | M3 Lip | Roof Spoiler | Front Splitters | Lux 5.0 | Blacklines
Link to my European Delivery write up:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143486
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #33
DP8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

try timezone.com
more information than you will ever need. they have forums for pretty much every brand and people there are very knowledgeable/informative. They love watches like we love BMWs. anyways Omegas are a classic watch and that would definitely be my vote! the Speedmaster in the picture is a manual wind though so you may want to check out a Seamaster. Also just a a funny tid bit of info the Speedmaster was the watch Nasa issued to their astronauts and went to the moon!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #34
clickclickboom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Rust Bucket

Grande Carrera. If that is out of the price range, check out the Hamilton Khaki's.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 11:40 AM   #35
zaxjax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Anything made by Tag

I have three and love all of them
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 05:57 PM   #36
etmathews
WARRIORS come out to play yay!!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i M Sport

Garage List
I wear the Rolex Submariner.

If you don't like Rolex checkout the Breitling Navitimer. That will be my next purchase.
Attached Images

2016 340i M Sport/Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Ash Wood Trim/ M performance carbon fiber spoiler, M performance grills, M performance front splitter, M performance carbon fiber mirror caps, Llumar ATX Axcess 30% tint

Last edited by etmathews; 11-23-2008 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #37
PeteW84
COBB'ed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Mini Cooper S

Garage List
2008 335i  [7.56]
I own #2 and love it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 06:14 PM   #38
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etmathews View Post
Check out the Breitling Navitimer.
Great watch, and I would have suggested it, but it's probably a bit out of the OPs price range if he's considering the Carrera.

To the OP, As regards the Omega Caliber 1861 (Lemania 1873) vs. the Heuer caliber 16 (Valjoux 7750). From a practical/functional perspective, both will keep similar time with a certain amount of drift every day (~2-4 seconds). The Heuer is an automatic, which means it will wind itself as you wear it. The speedy movement is a manual, you will have to wind it every 2 days as it has a 48 power reserve IIRC. The real differences are 1) fit and finish (workmanship), 2) history, and 3) exclusivity. The speedy wins in all categories IMO. The valjoux is one of the most common movements out there in low end automatic watches, the Omega movement is not as common (although still not rare). To go back to your analogy, think of it as having an unmodified Toyota engine in your BMW. It's a great engine, works well, get's great gas mileage, but there's nothing particularly special about it.

BTW OP, I'm not trying to sell you on anything, just present options and information. E.g. a manual watch isn't for everyone. I just think if your spending $2000 for a watch, you should really shop around and try to get the most for your money, whatever brand that ends up being.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #39
RonJon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Great watch, and I would have suggested it, but it's probably a bit out of the OPs price range if he's considering the Carrera.

To the OP, As regards the Omega Caliber 1861 (Lemania 1873) vs. the Heuer caliber 16 (Valjoux 7750). From a practical/functional perspective, both will keep similar time with a certain amount of drift every day (~2-4 seconds). The Heuer is an automatic, which means it will wind itself as you wear it. The speedy movement is a manual, you will have to wind it every 2 days as it has a 48 power reserve IIRC. The real differences are 1) fit and finish (workmanship), 2) history, and 3) exclusivity. The speedy wins in all categories IMO. The valjoux is one of the most common movements out there in low end automatic watches, the Omega movement is not as common (although still not rare). To go back to your analogy, think of it as having an unmodified Toyota engine in your BMW. It's a great engine, works well, get's great gas mileage, but there's nothing particularly special about it.
Cool, I appreciate the explanation.

Well I just came back from the mall and there is no way I am going to spend $1000 on the F1, its just not worth it in my opnion.

The Carrera I love but they wouldn't go lower then $2900 which is well above my budget. I also tried a Hamilton (Cant find a pic for it) and I really liked how it looks, but in my opinion its not worth $1100.

The Only Omega's they had were all non-chronograph, and I really want a chronograph. My plan is to head down to Michigan or NY on Friday and see if I can get a good Omeag or Carrera for about $2000.

I was going to try on the Oris's but I am just not drawn to them.

If you guys have any more recommendation on other models, stores, brands pelase share!!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #40
RonJon
Private
Rep

By the way has anyone on here dealt with retailers in either Michigan, NY, or Ohio?? Those will be my top 3 destinations for Friday.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 07:05 PM   #41
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #42
flyinbrian
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

[QUOTE=The_Blob;3690834]You can buy inexpensive high quality replicas that look exactly like the real thing. When I see someone with an expensive looking watch, I will always assume that it's fake.

You can usually tell if the watch is a fake by looking at the person not the watch.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #43
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Go with the Carrera. I had it for about 2 1/2 years old and it was perfect. I think the face size is perfect and it looks very clean and sophisticated without drawing too much attention to itself. Mine was the white face and silver band, but I sold it about a month ago. I paid $1400 for it new at Avant Gold in Tampa. I'm in the process of aquiring this as its replacement:

11-24-2008, 06:04 PM   #44
RonJon
Private
Rep

Well I called a few places in the Clevland area and this is what I got,

the ML is listed @ $2900 and I was able to get 20% off over the phone, so maybe in person I can get a little more. This was an indipendant retailer by the way.

Jared's had the Tag Carrera listed for $2700 and the sales guy reassured me that their prices are the best amongst their comptators and he wouldn't budge, he also went on tell me that they've sold 7 Carreras over the weekend. I doubt they will go down to the $2000 region.

By the looks of it the small mom & pop shops are more flexable on pricing then the larger chains.
Appreciate 0