BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

08-02-2017, 06:23 AM   #1
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

740LD Experience

Guys, i have been given a 740LD for several weeks as a complimentary car whilst my new vehicle is being built, some of you may have read about the issues i have had with BMW. I thought id share my experience given that i have never driven or lived with a 7 series before.

In a word its FANTASTIC, different driving experience to all other BMWs in that its quite floaty but at the same time never loose or saggy under hard breaking or cornering, ride quality is superb. Spec wise fully loaded with all the driver aids, rear entertainment pack, massage seats, blinds,etc etc. The 3.0d engine is the same as in my previous 640d and many other 6 pot diesels id guess, though tuned for better low down / more torque and this shows, id suggest that its the quickest diesel that BMW produce. So what more can i say other than if i was a few years older i would gladly have one of these over and Audi A8 or S Class, anyone in the market will not have an issue in owning the new 7, Oh and the xdrive makes all the difference too by enabling all that power to be used.

So to conclude not missing my m6 and have no issue in waiting for my new M6 GC to turn up, anyone in the market should give this a serious look its a superb piece of engineering.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 04:58 AM   #2
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Thanks for sharing your experience , I had test driven a G11 730 gasoline too. It was not the quickest the car I had ever driven but somehow managed to leave a good feedback on me .The ride wasn't sublime though it might be due to 19" RFT Pirelli tires and bad road surface other than that in Comfort Mode the car was very solid and comfortable . All in all, that's a 7 Series and I think Mercedes-Benz will be feeling more heat coming from behind as long as BMW makes 7 Series that good
      08-07-2017, 04:54 AM   #3
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

not sure if the long wheel has a different suspension set up, what i can conclude is that the ride is very good, S class smooth id say and the 740d engine is the best diesel set up i have driven.

I cant bore of the way car floats and pushes you forwards at the same time.

I recall this feeling many many years ago as riding in the back of late 1970s Merc S Class 6.9ltr, i must have been 7 at the time.
Appreciate 0