BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-03-2016, 10:14 PM   #1
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Scammers

So recently I bought an apple watch off of craigslist, the guy said he was out of town and could only ship it which waves a huge flag saying scam already. But of course i couldn't pass up a deal for $100 apple watch. He tried so hard to convince me to send it through friends and family so he could use the money ASAP. Of course i sent it via goods and services, that way I knew I was insured. Lol this man spent so much time an effort just to make this look legit, but i ended up getting all my money back from paypal.. Anyone else have something similar happen to them?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 10:27 PM   #2
Pedped88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Man I'm glad you got your money back. My grand parents fell victim to the "IRS is planning to sue you unless you pay 7000 dollars in iTunes vouchers" scam a while back. They have only lived here in the US for a short time and so anything "government" related scares them. Couldn't make the connection that some random dude from Pakistan who can barely pronounce "revenue" let alone work for the IRS is more than likely a scam. And yes the IRS now deals in federal iTunes vouchers
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 10:58 PM   #3
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedped88 View Post
Man I'm glad you got your money back. My grand parents fell victim to the "IRS is planning to sue you unless you pay 7000 dollars in iTunes vouchers" scam a while back. They have only lived here in the US for a short time and so anything "government" related scares them. Couldn't make the connection that some random dude from Pakistan who can barely pronounce "revenue" let alone work for the IRS is more than likely a scam. And yes the IRS now deals in federal iTunes vouchers
Wow that's terrible... LOL my parents asked me about it since i do the book keeping, i said the IRS doesn't call you. They only send letters. Imagine calling all the people who owe taxes LOL. People are low lives it's absolutely ridiculous. Ever seen the FBI $200 gift card computer virus? LOL that's my favorite.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 11:10 PM   #4
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

Someone told me people sell Best Buy $1000 gift cards for $500 outside best buy. You walk in with the guy to check the value and it shows $1000. You pay the guy and the guy cancels the gift card somehow while you shop. When you pay, there is zero balance on the gift card you just bought.

Is that possible?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 11:14 PM   #5
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
Someone told me people sell Best Buy $1000 gift cards for $500 outside best buy. You walk in with the guy to check the value and it shows $1000. You pay the guy and the guy cancels the gift card somehow while you shop. When you pay, there is zero balance on the gift card you just bought.

Is that possible?
Maybe he reports it stolen? That could make sense.. Best buy probably freezes the funds somehow and he benefits off of having the cash. This is getting me so worked up. Just go get a damn fucking job and work for everything like everyone else!!!! LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 11:15 PM   #6
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
I've had those guys call me....and I am the last person they wish they called. Had the number in ID and I called them back over and over again and fucked with them until they were about to cry. I literally called them back 20 times or so and would tell them how much I wanted to pay them and ran them in circles--arguing with them and so forth.

I told the guy to meet me and we could "settle it in a parking lot" and he got shy. Kept calling them and they knew they had called the wrong guy who was looking for trouble. Never got a call again. If you guys got problems, share the number with me and I will be more than happy to go many rounds with them.
      12-03-2016, 11:55 PM   #7
kamber
E90
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I've had those guys call me....and I am the last person they wish they called. Had the number in ID and I called them back over and over again and fucked with them until they were about to cry. I literally called them back 20 times or so and would tell them how much I wanted to pay them and ran them in circles--arguing with them and so forth.

I told the guy to meet me and we could "settle it in a parking lot" and he got shy. Kept calling them and they knew they had called the wrong guy who was looking for trouble. Never got a call again. If you guys got problems, share the number with me and I will be more than happy to go many rounds with them.
LOL good looks my man!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 12:06 AM   #8
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My father usually picks the phone up, throws on a thick accent, and goes to town. God bless that man LOL.
Appreciate 1
jgoens3787.50
      12-04-2016, 12:44 AM   #9
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

People still dont get it. Dont pay with paypal friend and family. Dont send moneygram, wire transfers, cashier checks etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 05:32 AM   #10
CrazyT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

I'm currently trying to sell a car on craigslist. Of the 6 or 7 people that have contacted me, only one person was an actual real person with interest in buying the car. Unfortunately he was actually looking for a different car (MB diesel engine swap into a jeep).

One person wanted to send me a cashiers check, let it go through (which I guess they can still bounce after cashing it), then ship the car (he was wayyyyy to eager to buy a 30 year old car in so-so condition sight unseen and asked no questions).

Another contacted me for her boyfriend. She wanted me to email her boyfriend the description. I have no idea why he would have email access but couldn't look at a craigslist ad, other than to get my email address for some reason.

Both of these had out of state area codes on their numbers, not the best grammar, and contacted me at odd hours of the night. All big ass warnings.
      12-04-2016, 06:47 AM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyT View Post
I'm currently trying to sell a car on craigslist. Of the 6 or 7 people that have contacted me, only one person was an actual real person with interest in buying the car. Unfortunately he was actually looking for a different car (MB diesel engine swap into a jeep).

One person wanted to send me a cashiers check, let it go through (which I guess they can still bounce after cashing it), then ship the car (he was wayyyyy to eager to buy a 30 year old car in so-so condition sight unseen and asked no questions).

Another contacted me for her boyfriend. She wanted me to email her boyfriend the description. I have no idea why he would have email access but couldn't look at a craigslist ad, other than to get my email address for some reason.

Both of these had out of state area codes on their numbers, not the best grammar, and contacted me at odd hours of the night. All big ass warnings.
Yes, cashier's checks are no different than regular checks with respect to having a clearing process. So cashier's checks can expose you to risks of a forged/fake check or someone canceling the check before the funds clear. That's why so many people get burned because they think the money is immediately available; same with money orders.

The only check instrument which is payable on demand with no clearing process are US Postal Money Orders. When I was selling some motorcycle parts a while back, I required payment in US Postal Money Orders. People thought it was odd but I wanted that extra bit of protection. I verified the on demand part of the Postal Money Order by cashing one at a post office and the other at a bank. Both places did a check on the validity of the check and gave me cash on the spot. The bank also never asked for a bank account number.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 06:55 AM   #12
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

It's interesting that scammer didn't use a burnable number. After about the third or so call from you, I would have killed the number and moved on to another one. But I guess they're scammers for a reason because it appears they don't have the intelligence to be able to make an honest living.

But your story reminds me of a situation I had a while back. For some reason, I was getting calls from people who spoke Spanish. The first couple of times, I just said wrong number. Not sure if the person understand as I didn't hear a reply before I hung up. But I started to get repeat calls from the same individual a few minutes after hanging up on them previously. You would think the idiot would realize the number was wrong when you have someone speaking English back at you. Well, it got so annoying when I saw the number calling, I would pick it up and blare heavy metal music over the phone and leave it. I'd walk away for a few minutes and come back to check to see if the idiot had hung up. The idiot would then call back and I would do the same thing. After about three times of this, the idiot finally gave up.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 06:57 AM   #13
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
People still dont get it. Dont pay with paypal friend and family. Dont send moneygram, wire transfers, cashier checks etc.
On the receiving end, PayPal takes a chunk out of the payment sent for their fee on the payment for goods and services. Sending money as friend and family, PayPal doesn't take a chunk out but you don't get the payment protection either.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 07:23 AM   #14
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: when car isn't broke.

Quote:

I've been called twice by the Indian "Microsoft Tech Support" scammers telling me I have viruses and that I need to let them take over my computer. I tend to go for the naive customer act and agree to everything then drop them at the last minute.

The first time I made it about ten minutes before telling the guy he was a piece of shit scammer. Was told, "Fuck you. *click*"

Most recently I made it about 15 minutes and was much more subtle about it. I was only dropping small hints like "oh yeah, I googled that and it said that was a scam." The guy ate it all up until another guy in the background yelled at him and said, "He's fucking with you!" and hung up the phone on him.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 07:55 AM   #15
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Ok there is your first problem, you bought an Apple Watch.
Appreciate 1
Alfisti6452.50
      12-04-2016, 07:56 AM   #16
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Technically, he tried to buy an Apple Watch.
Appreciate 3
      12-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #17
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatedEM View Post
Wow that's terrible... LOL my parents asked me about it since i do the book keeping, i said the IRS doesn't call you. They only send letters. Imagine calling all the people who owe taxes LOL. People are low lives it's absolutely ridiculous. Ever seen the FBI $200 gift card computer virus? LOL that's my favorite.
Watch the YouTube vids about it

Hilarious.

In this one the "IRS" ends the call by praising 911

Appreciate 2
F30lolz6798.50
P111541.50
      12-04-2016, 08:20 AM   #18
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
^^wow^^
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 08:39 AM   #19
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

When the IRS threatened me with a lawsuit for 5,000 I just told them to go ahead and sue me, then....*crickets*

He was stunned I was willing to go to court, he started "offering a deal to settle out of court"
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 10:09 AM   #20
RatedEM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Hey man, i was going to use it to track my heart rate during my lifts. Look so much better and have more functions than those ugly fit bits. Hahah.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #21
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

This past Thanksgiving weekend I received about 5 calls from local number. Picked up one time and it was all silent so I hung up. Got a few calls from another local number. Finally picked up and some lady asked for some guy's name that's not mine so I said "wrong number" and hung up. Then they called back a few more times but I i let it go to VM.

The other one that irked me the most was some "no caller ID" calling me about 10 times one night. I decided to pick up after the 5th call thinking it could be family overseas calling. It last for about 15 seconds.

Me: hello?
Caller: ...silence...hello
Me: who's this?
Caller: hello...uhh...umm...I...
Me: *click*

They called back like 5 more times and I let it ring while watching The Grand Tour (was around 11 PM). Went to bed and those fuckers called me about 7 more times starting around 7:30 AM the next morning!! I was fucking annoyed at that point but couldn't do shit because there was no ID. *69 would have cost a fortune. I googled it and people say let it go to VM and eventually they will stop so i did and they did (after almost 10 calls).

Would have loved to give those numbers to you guys to prank them. Those bastards are annoying.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #22
smackdownM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 ***** ****

Little did you know, if you send as "friends" you're covered through your bank. If you open dispute through PayPal, 9/10, you'll lose. But when you go through your bank and open a dispute, you'll get your money back because PayPal doesn't cover it, even if you already won the dispute on their end. And if you have the item, you don't even need to ship it back. Ask me how I know.