BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

02-08-2024, 10:53 AM   #1
Wilmslowsi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d M Sport, BMW X5 30d

Positive Camber on Front Right!? - Something Bent?

I just replaced my front tension struts, lower control arms, drop links and inner/outer tie rods and went for an alignment.

Everything came into spec apart from front right, which is showing 32mins POSITIVE camber... (see attached Hunter sheet).

I cant be certain it was there before I swapped the parts as I was unable to get an alignment until I'd replaced the tension struts as the bushings were shot.

Looks to me like something has bent, I hit a pothole a year ago so there is reason to suspect, but where to start? Knuckle/upright, strut etc?

What normally bends first to give positive camber? Anyone?

Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-24-2024, 12:53 AM   #2
MoeMulla
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: f01 730d m sport lci

My front left was 17mins positive, went for alignment check and brought it slightly down. Right came to dead centre. Within factory spec but also not sure if something was bent along the way or were they supposed to be symmetrical
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 10:49 AM   #3
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

From Realoem's database, the geometries for the front suspension, assuming that the body and frame are within factory specification, come down to three major components:
  1. Find Number 1, Tension strut
  2. Find Number 6, Bottom Wishbone
  3. Find Number 13, Top Wishbone

BMW sells the top wishbone for camber adjustments that require an additional +30 o -30 from nominal. A little pricey @ $368.23 each.....but you should only need one.

Note: Illustration is for the LCI F02 only.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 10:57 AM   #4
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

I guess there is the possibility to also bend the front carrier at it's weak point near the top of it (where the arrow is pointing to, but highly unlikely, given the other components involved with the suspension geometries.

I would suspect a distortion of the rubber bushings, and those bushings that may be filled with oil, like the Hydrobearing, Find Number #2 in the illustration in the previous post.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 10:10 PM   #5
lou007
Registered
Rep
Drives: f02

Refreshed my front arms and alignments on point but the steering wheel is always offsets left Abit
What should be checked 😞?
Appreciate 0