BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

02-19-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Paint Quality?

Does anyone have issue with the quality of paint used on our cars? I have Citrin Black and I'm already seeing several 'chips' with a white base. The paint seems to be very 'thin'... Very very upset.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
newowner35i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Does anyone have issue with the quality of paint used on our cars? I have Citrin Black and I'm already seeing several 'chips' with a white base. The paint seems to be very 'thin'... Very very upset.
. Post some pics
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Typical of BMW -- Orange Peel and very thin coat of paint. Is your paint metallic? I'd think an Individual car (highest in the range) would have better quality paint. But, of course, better quality doesn't necessarily translate to "more durable".

I have Jerez Black Metallic on my E93 M3 and have noticed several chips on the hood as well. They're small enough to not be obnoxious, but I know they're there, and hate seeing the white primer beneath. I've touched up the chips in the past, but since I drive the hell out of the car (trending 25K miles per year), new ones surface all the time.

It's just something I've learned to live with. I've considered going with a lighter color on my next BMW (F02 ActiveHybrid 7) but am really in love with the Imperial Blue Metallic color offered on that car, so that's probably what I'll go with -- and I'll just have to live with the minor imperfections that are bound to appear in the paint as I pile on the miles.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0